anyone slow/stop/reverse hair loss with anti-anxiety meds?

dw99

Reaction score
I've had social anxiety (SA) ever since I can remember (not extremely severe, but definitely there), which has really affected my life in a number of ways. I've always been nervous around people that I don't even know (like in the grocery store or in a group of people I'm not familiar with) and often think that people are staring at me and judging me. This has always been the case, well before any baldness appeared. The baldness, as one might expect, has only made my SA significantly worse.

I also have obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) to a degree, which I know is very much related to SA, but I'm not sure which one is the cause and which is the effect or if that terminology can even be used in the case of these two disorders.

Anyhow, these two disorders cause me to be completely obsessed (the OCD) with and worried (the SA) about my hair and looks. I'm constantly thinking about my hair and thinking that everyone is looking at my thin spot and making cruel judgements. All this means lots of stress that I know is not helping my hairloss.

So my question is, has anyone treated their anxiety/depression, stopped stressing so much about their hair, and as a result seen an improvement in it? I would think that medication could only help me and reduce my stress, but I also hear of many people that claim SSRIs or other anxiety meds made them lose more hair.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

doubleplay

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been using Paxil for 4-5 years to treat what you got. If it did much for hairloss i guess I wouldnt be here, considering I started it well before the onset of my diffuse thinning. On the other hand, it is a MIRACLE drug as far as the SA. It brought me back to my old self. :) If you arnt on it yet GET ON IT NOW and get on with your life. You WILL NOT worry as much about your hairloss, or anything else insignificant anymore. Once you get out of the anxiety fog you will be high on life and not trip of the trivial sh*t.

dw99

Reaction score
thanks for the responses guys...

doubleplay, do you think paxil was a factor in your hairloss? losing more hair is the one thing that really scares me away from the drug.

thanks.

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Even if you did lose more hair on it I think treating your current condition is more important right now.

Once your anxiety is under control you will be able to decide just how much of a problem hairloss really is to you.

doubleplay

Established Member
Reaction score
dw99 said:
thanks for the responses guys...

doubleplay, do you think paxil was a factor in your hairloss? losing more hair is the one thing that really scares me away from the drug.

thanks.

I would sacrifice my hair in a second to reap the benefits I had with this drug. NOTHING IN THE WORLD SHOULD SCARE YOU AWAY FROM THIS!

If anything the drug has slowed my hairloss, considering my younger bro has lost twice as much as me and my Dad's a Norwood 10, but I'm not drawing any conclusions.