Anyone Shedding On Nizoral And Quit It?

Balding curse

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have been using Nizoral for one year, and when I leave it for about two minutes and start rubbing my scalp hair come out in my hands, manuiturized and some terminal hair, even on the sides where it's not affected with male pattern baldness.

Is it normal with Nizoral, like new hair will regrow or it's harsh on my skin?

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
I dont respond well to nizoral at all. I shed more on it than off. My hair went back to status quo after I quit. I use H&S and my zix and for the most part maintain on that.

Balding curse

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I thought I'might be using a large amount, I reduced it to one small drop, but still shedding.
now I'must using it once a week I Shed less but didn't stop.
H&S is it the topical finasteride?

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
head and shoulders - i would drop it if it isnt working for you. not everyone responds the same to treatments. minoxidil and finasteride work for me, but i dont take finasteride due to sides, and im a bit too lazy to take minoxidil.

afferd

Reaction score
I dont respond well to nizoral at all. I shed more on it than off. My hair went back to status quo after I quit. I use H&S and my zix and for the most part maintain on that.

@worm - I see from your regime you're not taking any finasteride or minoxidil.

How sure are you that your sheds are because of nizoral?

Have you done any kind of tests keeping everything else the same?

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi @afferd I've had more or less the same regimen for 11/12 years now, Ive tried ketoconazole a number of times, Ive definitely noticed that I shed more hair on nizoral/lipogaine, than off. Ive tried it for months at a time, but for some reason I just dont think it reacts well to my scalp. After I stop everything stabilizes.

That said, I also dont think that I am the norm, everyone responds differently to treatments, and I have no doubt keto shampoos help the majority. I however am one person it doesnt help. So point is, you may not respond positively even though others do.

afferd

Reaction score
@worm - what kind of Lipogaine do you mean?

Did you know that regular Lipogaine contains 5% minoxidil (the same as Rogaine)?

Lipogaine is way more likely to be giving you a shed than nizoral shampoo...just wanted to check we're talking about the same thing.

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
@worm - what kind of Lipogaine do you mean?

Did you know that regular Lipogaine contains 5% minoxidil (the same as Rogaine)

Lipogaine is way more likely to be giving you a shed than nizoral shampoo...just wanted to check we're talking about the same thing.

Thanks for asking, I meant the lipogaine shampoo. It's a ketoconazole shampoo. Otherwise I've also used nizoral, been using it off and on since the earlyish 2000s it seems to me. Live in Canada so was trying the 2%

afferd

Reaction score
@worm - very interesting.

Your 16 years of experience, whilst anecdotal, still gives me reason to try stopping nizoral for a bit.

Do you have any photos showing maintenance on your current regime (before & after)?

And where do you buy / or how do you make your Zix?

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
@worm - very interesting.

Your 16 years of experience, whilst anecdotal, still gives me reason to try stopping nizoral for a bit.

Do you have any photos showing maintenance on your current regime (before & after)?

And where do you buy / or how do you make your Zix?

I have 20 years of experience as a matter of fact. :) anecdotal, yes, but it's what's worked for me. You'll more or less have my full story here. Somewhere in the first 2-3 pages I posted some pics.

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...ce-how-b6-and-zinc-have-saved-my-hair.101629/

As a side note I don't think stopping nizoral for a few weeks will have any negative impact on you hair. I've stopped minoxidil, finasteride, and nizoral. My hair survived it...

afferd

Reaction score
@worm - you've convinced me, I'll stop nizoral for a few weeks :)

Whoomph, that's a seriously long thread to read through - will crack on with it tomorrow.

Have you ever got your DHT levels checked?

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
@worm - you've convinced me, I'll stop nizoral for a few weeks :)

Whoomph, that's a seriously long thread to read through - will crack on with it tomorrow.

Have you ever got your DHT levels checked?

Im just promoting you to use treatments that work for you, and I know that I regained density when I quit nizoral. Ive tried it several times again, in disbelief, thinking that all the evidence says it's nothing but a 100% good for growth. Sure enough, it was the same result every time.

As for quitting, you'll see within a few weeks how your scalp reacts, if you shed less, you know it doesnt help, if you shed significantly more, then it obviously was working for you. Point is, if you shed for a week or so, and you decide you want back on, one week is not going to have any significant impact cosmetically.

When I dropped finasteride after 7.5 years, I started shedding around 3-4 weeks later. It takes time for dht to ramp back up. However if you cut off the nizoral, then you'll see the results within a couple weeks. Nizoral as it stands is a weak tool against male pattern baldness, it's not like you're dropping finasteride or minoxidil.

I find head and shoulders is better for me. There are studies comparing the two, and head and shoulders is shown to reduce shedding a little more but is offset against nizoral's increase in hair shaft diameter. Also zix (which is basically free), I think has had as much if not more of an effect than minoxidil, as it has a much longer term impact vs minoxidil which loses it's effectiveness over time.

afferd

Reaction score
@worm - yeah the reason I ask about your DHT levels, is I'm wondering if the people who get the serious itch like you and me have abnormally high DHT.

The highest DHT result I got back was 6500 pmol/L - nearly double the maximum normal range which is between 850 - 3400.

Did you ever get a DHT result back - would be very interested to hear if you got similar numbers?

donsf448

My Regimen
Reaction score
Im just promoting you to use treatments that work for you, and I know that I regained density when I quit nizoral. Ive tried it several times again, in disbelief, thinking that all the evidence says it's nothing but a 100% good for growth. Sure enough, it was the same result every time.

As for quitting, you'll see within a few weeks how your scalp reacts, if you shed less, you know it doesnt help, if you shed significantly more, then it obviously was working for you. Point is, if you shed for a week or so, and you decide you want back on, one week is not going to have any significant impact cosmetically.

When I dropped finasteride after 7.5 years, I started shedding around 3-4 weeks later. It takes time for dht to ramp back up. However if you cut off the nizoral, then you'll see the results within a couple weeks. Nizoral as it stands is a weak tool against male pattern baldness, it's not like you're dropping finasteride or minoxidil.

I find head and shoulders is better for me. There are studies comparing the two, and head and shoulders is shown to reduce shedding a little more but is offset against nizoral's increase in hair shaft diameter. Also zix (which is basically free), I think has had as much if not more of an effect than minoxidil, as it has a much longer term impact vs minoxidil which loses it's effectiveness over time.

How was your experience on finasteride for 7.5 years? I just started it...going fine so far but I expect to be on it for a max of 4-5 years.

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
@worm - yeah the reason I ask about your DHT levels, is I'm wondering if the people who get the serious itch like you and me have abnormally high DHT.

The highest DHT result I got back was 6500 pmol/L - nearly double the maximum normal range which is between 850 - 3400.

Did you ever get a DHT result back - would be very interested to hear if you got similar numbers?

I never checked it, so im in no position to say.

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
How was your experience on finasteride for 7.5 years? I just started it...going fine so far but I expect to be on it for a max of 4-5 years.

I had great hair, though had some sides. I had mild depression, pretty bad brain fog, was out of it, couldnt think clearly, remember words, felt tongue tied, but I was still functional at work, had a decent career in spite of that, I just think I wasnt 100% as sharp as I could have been though.
I also think it had a feminizing effect, such that I experienced watery semen, loss of muscle mass, softer erections, lower libido, and I felt less manly than I know I should have. I experienced body hair loss as well.

All in all I still liked women, and had no problem meeting / dating, so that was good.

One thing I would recommend, is trying to take 50mgs of zinc picolinate (now brand) daily. I discovered it after I stopped finasteride, and had huge gains in the libido department. And add 2mgs of copper too (I take swanson). I wish I had tried it while I was taking finasteride, I think it could have helped quite a few sides.

Maxxorr

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
+1

Maxxorr

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
what is "zix"?

Maxxorr

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@worm - I see from your regime you're not taking any finasteride or minoxidil.

How sure are you that your sheds are because of nizoral?

Have you done any kind of tests keeping everything else the same?

The question wasn't directed to me, but nonetheless: When I started using Ketoconazole, I've witnessed a major shed and massive thinning of my frontal hair... MASSIVE! Hair became super thin and fragile...

Aethas

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
One thing I would recommend, is trying to take 50mgs of zinc picolinate (now brand) daily. I discovered it after I stopped finasteride, and had huge gains in the libido department. And add 2mgs of copper too (I take swanson). I wish I had tried it while I was taking finasteride, I think it could have helped quite a few sides.

Daily and oral take??