Anyone Shed 150+ Hairs A Day Without Losing Ground?

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think I probably shed around 200 a day and I don't think I e lost ground these past 3 years on the big 3. Most of my shedding seems to happen at the back too rather than the Top/front. Almost no shedding in my previously balding areas.
Lots of shedding in donor areas...

cyrusthegreat@hotmail.com

Established Member
Reaction score
That seems like a lot. If you're accounting for 200ish hairs daily, you're probably losing more than that. When you say you haven't lost ground, are you comparing to baseline in previously thinning areas only? Loss in the donor area seems odd in those amounts. Have you had a derm or hair transplant dr inspect your donor for an opinion?

Ive been losing an average 40 to 60 a day that I can account for (probably double that in reality) for the past 18 months and am well below baseline at vertex and right temple.

Massive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That seems like a lot. If you're accounting for 200ish hairs daily, you're probably losing more than that. When you say you haven't lost ground, are you comparing to baseline in previously thinning areas only? Loss in the donor area seems odd in those amounts. Have you had a derm or hair transplant dr inspect your donor for an opinion?

Ive been losing an average 40 to 60 a day that I can account for (probably double that in reality) for the past 18 months and am well below baseline at vertex and right temple.

Really that low ? How does one actually measure hair loss through out the day ? I thought about doing it on an off day, wear a cap around your head for 24 hours, then plug your kitchen sink and get your head under the water for a few minutes and count the hairs.
For me, when I run my head under water for a minute, on a good day I lose around 30 hairs and on worse days it can be 50-70 in just one wash. Then I apply minoxidil foam using my hand massaging the foam in and see another 20 hairs stuck on my hand.
I'm now 6 months on finasteride and 3 months on minoxidil and while my hair still seems to fall out at the slightest touch, I think might,just might be holding ground.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm well above baseline, not even close to where I was when I started treatment. Had a hair transplant in August and the surgeon didn't say anything.
My hair thickness can vary a bit seasonally but I'd say, but I'm well above where I was at 3 years ago when I started treatment or even 2 years ago.
Counting the hairs after brushing is terrifying. with that kind of hair fall I should be rapidly thinning, but I'm not.
I have no idea why it's mostly my back and sides and my top isn't shedding.
The only explanation I can think of is is that due to my fine hair, I have lots of 4 or 5 hair follicles, so maybe where a thick haired person would shed 1 or 2, I'll shed 4 or 5

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Really that low ? How does one actually measure hair loss through out the day ? I thought about doing it on an off day, wear a cap around your head for 24 hours, then plug your kitchen sink and get your head under the water for a few minutes and count the hairs.
For me, when I run my head under water for a minute, on a good day I lose around 30 hairs and on worse days it can be 50-70 in just one wash. Then I apply minoxidil foam using my hand massaging the foam in and see another 20 hairs stuck on my hand.
I'm now 6 months on finasteride and 3 months on minoxidil and while my hair still seems to fall out at the slightest touch, I think might,just might be holding ground.

I have long hair so I just collect them when I comb, put them aside when I shower and count them at the end of the day. Not many hairs shed without me seeing them.
I shed about 30-40 I. The shower, the n I comb my wet hair and can pull out as many as 80, and throughout the day I'll lose the odd hairs too.
I comb and brush my hair a lot but I'm careful not to tug on the roots.

Xxx001

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey GoldenMane, I have exactly the same problem, I have long hair and I lose about 60-80 hairs when i shower per day, to behind the ears, in the neck etc.

What looks very likely to telogen effluvium, but it is strange because there most of the hair, as are damaged, the keratin is irregular.

And I take finasteride 1mg ...