Anyone Recover From Reflex Hyperandrogenicity??

Mr SideEffect

My Regimen
Reaction score
Some of it will grow back and some will not. It's impossible to tell. I had discussions with two doctors who are supposed experts in the field and all I got were should shrugs and a 'it might grow back.....I don't know'. Honestly- it's anyone's guess. What I do know is that the longer you stay on it, the less will grow back. I stopped it cold turkey. I honestly would find it astonishing if someone told me that tapering off it was the best approach to keeping more hair. If I were you, I would stop immediately. But it's your call. It's not just your hair your risking by staying on this btw. This stuff can have devastating effects to your entire endocrine system, which effects your overall health and longevity.
Hi thanks for your reply,So my
dermatologist told me that he had 20
patients who sufferd from reflex hyper and he told me the patients who whent cold turkey had a horrible result and the patients who tapperd off slowly gain some of there hair back, Because he told me that your hormone will recover slowly and natural if you tapper of slowly,The thing is with cold turkey its 50/50 or your hormones are strong enough and they will give your normale hormones state back or on the other side your hormone will be fckd because of the big jump and down he makes,So i decided to tapper of slowly and pray to god that my adrogen are not fucked because the internet says your adrogen wil be for always sensitive to DHT so no matter what you do you fckd anyway.

Mr SideEffect

My Regimen
Reaction score
Some of it will grow back and some will not. It's impossible to tell. I had discussions with two doctors who are supposed experts in the field and all I got were should shrugs and a 'it might grow back.....I don't know'. Honestly- it's anyone's guess. What I do know is that the longer you stay on it, the less will grow back. I stopped it cold turkey. I honestly would find it astonishing if someone told me that tapering off it was the best approach to keeping more hair. If I were you, I would stop immediately. But it's your call. It's not just your hair your risking by staying on this btw. This stuff can have devastating effects to your entire endocrine system, which effects your overall health and longevity.
Whats up dude how is your hair now? you have anyy reflex symptoms still? i tapperd off the drug for 2 month now am finally free from it for 7 days the sides of my head and the back stopt falling out, These 2 parts of my head lost the most hear but all the sudden they stopt falling out i hope it stays like this but the top of my head still falls out do you have any idea after stopping the drug how long it will take too notice if your hair loss will stop or not.

Mr SideEffect

My Regimen
Reaction score
I stopt taking finasteride for 2 weeks now and my hair is getting thinner and thinner and even more hair loss.....

pcas

My Regimen
Reaction score
Whats up dude how is your hair now? you have anyy reflex symptoms still? i tapperd off the drug for 2 month now am finally free from it for 7 days the sides of my head and the back stopt falling out, These 2 parts of my head lost the most hear but all the sudden they stopt falling out i hope it stays like this but the top of my head still falls out do you have any idea after stopping the drug how long it will take too notice if your hair loss will stop or not.

What’s going on man? Sorry for the late reply. The hair battle continues. Recently, the loss has increased again. I’m losing maybe 150 hairs per day now again. I’m fighting a losing battle no doubt. I’m coming up with a new regiment now for my hair loss.

I’ve purchased some Azelaic Acid and I’ve mixed it with minoxidil. I tested some on my scalp this morning. I didn’t want to go Crazy with it in case i have a bad reaction or indeed in case the acid wasn’t legit. I bought it on eBay so we’ll see.

I am also considering using zinc and b6 more. I’ve been dabbling with it some but I think I still get strict with it and use it in the evening. So I’ll use AA/minoxidil in the morning and zinc/b6 in the evening.

I’m also considering buying a laser hat and maybe trying some PRP. I’ll give the laser hat 6 months and see if there are any results. I’m trying everything I can now to see what I can salvage.

My gf thinks I’m nuts. Hair loss causes people to lose their minds, no doubt about it. But I don’t want to be bald. I just don’t. I like my hair. It’s always been very much a part of my identity.

Mr SideEffect

My Regimen
Reaction score
What’s going on man? Sorry for the late reply. The hair battle continues. Recently, the loss has increased again. I’m losing maybe 150 hairs per day now again. I’m fighting a losing battle no doubt. I’m coming up with a new regiment now for my hair loss.

I’ve purchased some Azelaic Acid and I’ve mixed it with minoxidil. I tested some on my scalp this morning. I didn’t want to go Crazy with it in case i have a bad reaction or indeed in case the acid wasn’t legit. I bought it on eBay so we’ll see.

I am also considering using zinc and b6 more. I’ve been dabbling with it some but I think I still get strict with it and use it in the evening. So I’ll use AA/minoxidil in the morning and zinc/b6 in the evening.

I’m also considering buying a laser hat and maybe trying some PRP. I’ll give the laser hat 6 months and see if there are any results. I’m trying everything I can now to see what I can salvage.

My gf thinks I’m nuts. Hair loss causes people to lose their minds, no doubt about it. But I don’t want to be bald. I just don’t. I like my hair. It’s always been very much a part of my identity.
Hey whats up man, Dude i feel you just do what ever you can to save your hair even when you go bald or not you will get that regret feeling thay maybe you could save your hair, hahaha women have no idea how hard it is to go bald.... try to get your zinc up dont forget vitamine D thats very important and there are natrual supliments out there wich blocks DHT a little bit i dont know the name, My hair is looking better now its getting longer also but still hair loss but the hairs that fall out are veryy small and thin dead hair my dark hairs are safe but the hairs that fall out 100-120 are hair that try to fight back and come back but in the 5 month taking that garbage drug it completely fucked those hairs, As you said to me some of it will grow back and some of it not you where completely right about that the hairs that cant grow back are just dead all i need to find out right now is how to get those hairs back, If i have any tips for you how to get your hair back or maybe i can get the name of the natrual supliment, Maybe go to the gym maybe you where very sensitivy to testostrone, Get a blood test maybe your very allergic to someting you eat check your testostrone maybe thats the problem maybe your test level is too high.

-Synergy-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So does reflex happen from an increase in DHT or receptor sensitivity? Has anyone had DHT checked while on finasteride and experiencing reflex? I have been on dutasteride for 3 weeks now and I might be shedding more hair but at the same time I know my DHT is really low maybe none existent by now even.

Chemichal Castration

My Regimen
Reaction score
Reflex Hyperandrogenicity or whatever you want to call is possible. Its a dynamic response to the lower DHT and can happen with pretty much every hormone/signalling protein etc either by lowering the treshold for AR activation, at receptor level, or by increasing gene expression at translational level

shidoin

Established Member
Reaction score
I stopt taking finasteride for 2 weeks now and my hair is getting thinner and thinner and even more hair loss.....
Have you had bloodwork done? Why do you think it is 5ar that caused your problem? You could have another androgen problem, or a thyroid problem. You shouldn't be blaming one thing. I've never seen permanent shedding or other sides In 20 years on 5 ars not from me or others. You could be just destined for a Norwood 7 depending on genetics

Warrior123

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Mr SideEffect @pcas @Chemichal Castration @-Synergy- Can anyone explain to me what reflex hyperandrogeicity is? By reading forums I mostly understood what it is all about but the concept itself isn't very clear to me.. Some say you have it if your hair starts to shed as soon as you get on antiandrogen (finasteride or dutasteride), others say you get it after few years on antiandrogens. Also some people that "have it" don't have any additional side effects except shed, others also have high libido, oily skin, acne or increased growth of body hair, and then there are people that say that they have hyperandrogenicity and have low libido, dry skin, no acne but are shedding.. I know everyone's body reacts different to certain molecules but shouldn't some things be consistent in order to call it a certain way..not to say that there are no studies that would prove the exsistence of that condition (at least not the ones done on the hair/scalp) although people have talked about that condition for years...

pcas

My Regimen
Reaction score
Any update? @pcas i have similiar effects (rh).
Hi guys, sorry for my absence here. I haven’t been checking this. I actually just posted now about CB vs RU. But that’s another story. I actually don’t know for certain the science of what hyper andro is. From what I’ve read, it is the upregulation of androgen receptors in the scalp as a result of the reduction of DHT. If someone has contradictory information on this, I’d be happy to hear from you.
Now what I do know for certain is the symptoms that EVERYONE Who has this seems to report. Increased sebum production, acne, massive shedding, hot flushes. I also had a slight feeling of swelling around my lymph nodes in my neck and throat. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone else report that but I had it. I had two top docs (one of them UCLA tricologist) tell me 100% that my shedding was completely abnormal and I needed to stop Finasteride immediately. Like I said, I don’t know what hyper andro is. Maybe it’s an allergic reaction as was suggested above. But I do know that the commonality between reported sufferers is so high so as any independent person would have to consider it to be a real possibility as a side effect of finasteride. I’m not dismissing those who suffer from sexual side effects. I completely see why an anti andro would have sexual sides. However sexual sides are much more prone to psychological effects than are 1) increased sebum 2) acne 3) shedding of 200 300 400 hairs per day for months.

My hair loss has continued. I have not found a solution. I am afraid to try duta. There is no reason to believe that this would not cause the same negative results.

That’s why I’m now looking at CB and RU.

I’d you are on Finasteride and you’re having shedding that seems not right this is my advice

1) stop taking advice from idiots on these forums

2) Find a reputable tricologist or someone who has a lot of experience with prescribing Finasteride AND HAS SEEN RESULTS AFTER THEY HAVE PRESCIBED THEM IE THEY WILL KNOW WHAT IS NORMAL SHEDDING!!

3) get a realistic measure of how much hair you’re losing per day.

4) Go to the doctor and tell them how much hair you’re losing and for how long. Tell them if you’re experiencing any other systems.

5) if they don’t know what they are talking about and you can tell ( like if they are talking in vague terms or are saying things like ‘maybe it’s....’ or ‘some shedding is....’ but they can’t tell you if what you’re experiencing is falling within the realms of ‘some shedding’, then find another doctor and get definitive answers. I am lucky in that I live in LA and we have a lot of top notch doctors.

Don’t gamble with your health. If you’re experiencing normal shedding then that’s great. If you’re not, then you need to get off this immediately. If Finasteride is not right for you, the longer you’re on it the more hair you’ll lose permanently.

I hope that helps!!

Matt Rogers

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been off finasteride for about 8 months. I never recovered. When I took my first pill I was a norwood 1.5 with extremely thick hair. After that months of shedding hundreds and hundreds of thick hairs everyday. I finally quit taking it after 6 months of use. The shedding has never really stopped. I am here today as a norwood 2.5 with badly diffused hair and crown. I had never lost a single hair on my crown before finasteride. The first 2 months on finasteride I had already developed balding patches on my crown that I now have to comb over everyday. Finasteride truly ruined my hair

masterchief123

My Regimen
Reaction score
Fairly sure I experienced this. I had terrible cystic acne for 1 whole year on finasteride (been on it 2 years total). The last time I even remotely had acne was almost 2 decades ago. Used benzoyl perixode the whole time.. knows how much it helped. Went away on its own and am now a few months free from any zits!

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you’re loosing hair from all over in a short time, it is Telogen Effluvium. Hair “lost” due to Telogen Effluvium can be recovered, unlike hairs lost due to Androgenetic Alopecia.

ali.talebi1994

My Regimen
Reaction score
increased sebum production
in my case it caused more oily scalp too :(
even some months ago i tried dutasteride and it increased my sebum production like hell so that i eventually stopped the drug :confused:
it seems that 5-alpha reductase blockers boost up sebum production in some patients

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been off finasteride for about 8 months. I never recovered. When I took my first pill I was a norwood 1.5 with extremely thick hair. After that months of shedding hundreds and hundreds of thick hairs everyday. I finally quit taking it after 6 months of use. The shedding has never really stopped. I am here today as a norwood 2.5 with badly diffused hair and crown. I had never lost a single hair on my crown before finasteride. The first 2 months on finasteride I had already developed balding patches on my crown that I now have to comb over everyday. Finasteride truly ruined my hair

I'm not trying to tell anyone they didn't experience the things they claim, but this isn't what people in here are talking about. You quit finasteride within the reasonable "shed" period, yet didnt use it to the "gain" period that is reported by many users.

This thread is people talking about a side-effect that has many other clear symptoms, not just shedding.

Matt Rogers

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not trying to tell anyone they didn't experience the things they claim, but this isn't what people in here are talking about. You quit finasteride within the reasonable "shed" period, yet didnt use it to the "gain" period that is reported by many users.

This thread is people talking about a side-effect that has many other clear symptoms, not just shedding.
Going from 50 hairs shed pre finasteride to 300+ for months is not normal shedding that is hyper Andro. Also never had a male pattern baldness itch before finasteride now I do. I also lose hair from the back and sides of my hair now as well. Lost a lot of my eyebrow hair on finasteride, luckily that has come back though.

Basically before finasteride only my temples were susceptible to balding. Now just about my entire head is susceptible to losing hair.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Going from 50 hairs shed pre finasteride to 300+ for months is not normal shedding that is hyper Andro. Also never had a male pattern baldness itch before finasteride now I do. I also lose hair from the back and sides of my hair now as well. Lost a lot of my eyebrow hair on finasteride, luckily that has come back though.

Basically before finasteride only my temples were susceptible to balding. Now just about my entire head is susceptible to losing hair.

I'm not telling you that it didn't make it worse, because I believe that it did. I think restarting finasteride after a small break has given me similar symptoms as HA, but what I am saying is that the increase in shedding for you could be otherwise. You both started finasteride and quit it, all before you waiting it out to see the final results. You're likely going through the finasteride induced shed that many people did at the start but you also stopped right after and it didn't end.

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score

Have you done a hormone panel? You may need to do one. Either way, you need treatment to halt the hair loss. If finasteride wasn’t the solution and somehow bumped up your AR sensitivity or test levels, then maybe you need an AR blocker like RU.

But yeah I understand the fear of finasteride. I’m afraid that even if I have sure signs of thinning in my hair that starting finasteride would make it worse and I’d regret it. That’s why if you experience increased sebum, acne, facial or body hair, scalp hair shedding for longer than say two or three weeks, you should stop finasteride. But I’m not sure what else you can do proactively stop finasteride from making your hair worse

Matt Rogers

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you done a hormone panel? You may need to do one. Either way, you need treatment to halt the hair loss. If finasteride wasn’t the solution and somehow bumped up your AR sensitivity or test levels, then maybe you need an AR blocker like RU.

But yeah I understand the fear of finasteride. I’m afraid that even if I have sure signs of thinning in my hair that starting finasteride would make it worse and I’d regret it. That’s why if you experience increased sebum, acne, facial or body hair, scalp hair shedding for longer than say two or three weeks, you should stop finasteride. But I’m not sure what else you can do proactively stop finasteride from making your hair worse
I have RU in my freezer but im also scared to take that as well lol. Basically finasteride has caused me to fear any hair loss treatment even though my hair continues to get worse by the day.
Never have gotten a hormone panel. I've asked doctors but they see me as a healthy young male and they just refuse. Of course I could buy a hormone panel out of pocket if I wanted