Anyone Notice More Recession On One Temple Than Other?

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have noticeably more recession on my left temple than the right one. Anyone else have this? Is there an explanation?

I figure traction may be an explanation, because I part my hair from left to right. I never combed my hair, but I've often had longish hair, so I would frequently use my hand through the day to comb my hair rightwards.

I remember reading about how Cary Grant noticed his hair was thinner in the area where he prated it.

Who Farted

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It’s not uncommon for one to recede faster than the other. male pattern baldness follows a pattern but it doesn’t necessarily manifest evenly. Most of the time you see that happening between Norwood stages. Have no fear, the other one will catch up in time.

Part lines can widen over time, which is why you need to shift your part around. Traction Alopecia is highly unlikely. That kind of loss comes from sustained tension which is why you don’t feel it getting pulled out. Braids, ponytails, and bums that are pulled to tight and worn too often are what cause that. If you were losing it from combing/styling you would feel it as it would have been triggered by the motion and not the tension.

shoegazing

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It’s not uncommon for one to recede faster than the other. male pattern baldness follows a pattern but it doesn’t necessarily manifest evenly. Most of the time you see that happening between Norwood stages. Have no fear, the other one will catch up in time.

Part lines can widen over time, which is why you need to shift your part around. Traction Alopecia is highly unlikely. That kind of loss comes from sustained tension which is why you don’t feel it getting pulled out. Braids, ponytails, and bums that are pulled to tight and worn too often are what cause that. If you were losing it from combing/styling you would feel it as it would have been triggered by the motion and not the tension.
I didn't understand this part about combing. Can you tell me more? I kinda have a flaw in my right temple, but it's been there since 2015. My hair has been long (nipple length currently) all this time, and I remember using it on bun back then, during my highschool days. I also combed it with the wrong type of comb... I can attach a picture if you want to give an opinion about

Balding Boulder

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The human body is highly asymmetrical. You may have one eye that is open more than the other, one foot bigger than the other or…yes, a hairline that has receded more on one side. For me it was my right temple that went before my left. Put your index fingers horizontally along your hairline to see how the recession compares. You'll probably find that the less receded temple will eventually catch up whilst the other becomes stagnant.

vinnyg0414

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
For me my right temple has receded but my left hasn’t at all.

Derm says I don’t follow the “male pattern baldness” pattern.

In some cases people do only lose one temple.

If you’re not thinning from the top, crown, or having other issues with your hair, just keep and eye on it. 5B77F274-0AFF-48E5-ACC1-32302DFEF319.jpegDB2250A9-ACDB-462B-9080-5DCD3D755A2A.jpeg

First photo- Left, second is Right

shoegazing

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
For me my right temple has receded but my left hasn’t at all.

Derm says I don’t follow the “male pattern baldness” pattern.

In some cases people do only lose one temple.

If you’re not thinning from the top, crown, or having other issues with your hair, just keep and eye on it. View attachment 136231View attachment 136232

First photo- Left, second is Right
It doesn't look like it has receded to be honest

Who Farted

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I didn't understand this part about combing. Can you tell me more? I kinda have a flaw in my right temple, but it's been there since 2015. My hair has been long (nipple length currently) all this time, and I remember using it on bun back then, during my highschool days. I also combed it with the wrong type of comb... I can attach a picture if you want to give an opinion about

That is some serious length! All I meant is that combing your hair doesn’t continually stress the follicle, while hair that is tied does. So hair you lose while combing is a result of the combing action pulling the hair loose, while traction loss usually occurs because of the hair is pulled out over time by constant tension. Loss in the moment vs loss over time.

With hair that long, however, it’s possible that the weight of the hair alone could cause traction loss; particularly if styled the same way every day, but if you have male pattern baldness, then that is still the most likely cause. Uneven recession happens to a lot of people as they progress through the Norwood stages.

I’ve had chin length hair, but never hair that long!
If you don’t have male pattern baldness, you can avoid traction alopecia when your hair is pulled back, braided, or otherwise up, by ensuring the it isn’t overly tight and by making sure the weight of it isn’t stressing the hairline. Do that and wear it down at night and you’ll be good.

I’d youve got male pattern baldness, however, it’s not a good idea to wear it back more than every once in a while. Those follicles near the hairline and at the temples are already weakened and any tension can accelerate the process.

Last edited:

MJ_2019

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have noticeably more recession on my left temple than the right one. Anyone else have this? Is there an explanation?

I figure traction may be an explanation, because I part my hair from left to right. I never combed my hair, but I've often had longish hair, so I would frequently use my hand through the day to comb my hair rightwards.

I remember reading about how Cary Grant noticed his hair was thinner in the area where he prated it.
I too have temple thinning/recession on the left.

22&Balding

My Regimen
Reaction score
#metoo

Regarding the reasons why it happens, at least in my case I don't think it's because of traction. If I had to guess I would say it's most likely genetic.