Anyone Lose More Hair Taking Anti-acid Medication?

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, anyone on here lose more hair while taking anti acid medication for their digestive system? If I take it, I get hundreds of hair coming out in the shower. Its ridiculous. Cant win.

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you talking an anti-acid or a medical like omeprazole/prilosec?
Protonix I think its called... massive hairloss when I take it....but the thing is, even taking something simple like tums causes my scalp to itch a little and definitely more hairloss, just not as bad as prescription. I cant freaking win as I have bad acid reflux. And balding is just making the acid reflux worse..

Bagels

Established Member
Reaction score
The protonix maybe, but I don't believe the Tums, which is just calcium carbonate, is causing your hair loss. If you're so sure even tums is causing hairloss, you need to fix your GERD with diet. No caffeiene, spicy foods, less fast foods, processed oils etc. Find your triggers and eliminate then

DanzlCarry

My Regimen
Reaction score
I know that hair loss can be a side effect of certain medications, but I've never heard of it being linked to anti acid medication before. It's frustrating because I need to take the medication to manage my digestive issues, but at the same time, I don't want to continue losing my hair at such an alarming rate. It's a real Catch-22 and I feel like I can't win.

If anyone has any advice, similar experiences or any tips that have worked for them, I would really appreciate it. Please let me know or reach out to me at ibgportland.com, I would be more than happy to chat about it. It's always helpful to share our experiences and learn from each other.

Last edited: