Anyone know if you can buy a lace skin alone? (without hair)

goingon24

Reaction score
Anyone know if you can buy a lace skin alone? (edit: building lace frontal)

I've been looking to make my own partial hair piece for the front temples using my own hair (its monstrously thick everywhere except in the front) and im looking for any places that might be selling just the lace cap without hair attached.

***(Apparently I posted to soon) I'll post updates on what i find/buy.

Grimoire

Reaction score
There are distributors out there, but they won't sell you a small piece of lace for one unit. Making a hair system using your own hair is highly impractical for a number of reasons.

1. You would need to grow your hair to a length approx 4" longer than the actual length you desire, and at least 8" overall if you want 3" - 4" finished length (the hair on the hairpiece needs to be longer than the length you desire so that it can be cut and styled properly). When knotting hair into the base, you have to tie the knot near the middle of the hair strand; you can't tie the knot at one end of the hair.

2. Approximately 40% of your growing hair is too short to use because each hair strand is at a different stage of the growing cycle. In other words, if your overall hair length is 8", 40% of your hair is less than 4" long. You would need special tools to remove the unusable hair (the process is called "carding").

3. You would need to make sure at all times that you keep the root ends of every hair strand aligned. If any of the hairs become reversed, you will end up with a tangled mess.

4. You need to know which type of knot you need to make and make sure that you tie the hairs in the proper direction.

In other words, forget about it!

goingon24

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply haha. I realized my hair is only 6 1/2 inches long and I'de have to wait later in the year to have it cut. Fast forwarding to the present, i've ordered lace from hisandhers and the proper tools to ventilate hair. Im currently using my strawberry blonde wefted human hair i bought from the UK last year as my first attempt to recreating my hairline. I've already ventilated about 1 sq cm in and learned how to make it flow in the right direction by pulling the knot in the direction i want the hair to appear to grow.

HairExperiment_zps77355b31.jpeg

So far this is what I have. There is some strands going off at the wrong angles (learning experience) but most of it is flowing in the right direction or so appears. I'll snip off the random ones later and should have this done next month. Hopefully I get most of it right the first time so I can see my present self with my original hairline and see if im making a big of fuss over it as i should be.