Anyone just on Minoxidil???

cp

Reaction score
Hi

Has anyone just used minoxidil without proscar? Im considering this regime, as i have been on minoxidil alone for the last 6 months, dont know whether to add proscar as i would rather not. Anyone had success with just minoxidil?

G

cp said:
Hi

Has anyone just used minoxidil without proscar? Im considering this regime, as i have been on minoxidil alone for the last 6 months, dont know whether to add proscar as i would rather not. Anyone had success with just minoxidil?

Just using minoxidil will not stop the continuation of the balding process, you may grow some hair in the first two years or so, but this extra hair will eventually be lost to the onslaught of DHT.

If I were to recommend a 'single' treatment approach it would be a DHT inhibitor like finasteride (Proscar/Propecia).

Bert

Established Member
Reaction score
I was on minoxidil for Six Months, I think it strengthened up my hairline quite a lot. But thats the only place I was using it, and at the crown abit. So I've just added finasteride, in the hope of thickening the rest up. If this works hopefully I should have pretty much perfect hair with a slight norword 1.5 hairline unless that gets even better.

Lanza

Reaction score
cp said:
Hi

IU'm in the same boat. Just started minoxidil 3 weeks ago and dont really want to add proscar just yet.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
Tynan speaks the truth. The offset of hair growth from minoxidil will soon be apparent after a year or 2 when the underlying cause of the hairloss will 'catch up' and rear its ugly head. It depends how bad/fast your hairloss is though.

cp

Reaction score
okay. Thanks ill see how i go, see most notable thinning is from the front, i think i will add proscar in due time, im just worried about another shed. Its funny how none of the studies mention shedding, ive searched the New England Journal of Medicine for all studies on proscar/propecia/finasteride etc and none mention it. That is my biggest issue with adding it to the regime.

ACT10Npack

Experienced Member
Reaction score
cp, think of minoxidil like a bandaid. It may help slow down the process of your hair loss and even grow some back aka peachfuze. But after sometime the DHT which is most likely doing the hair loss will take the bandaid off. Get on Finasteride and stay with minoxidil because once you stop taking minoxidil will with shed afterwares.

G

ACT10Npack said:
........minoxidil........It may help slow down the process of your hair loss....

Bottom line:

Minoxidil will not slow down your hair loss.
It will not inhibit DHT.
It will only stimulate some extra regrowth which for a while will offset the underlying balding process.

former

Reaction score
will nizoral helps to slow down the process, since it does help to inhibit little of dht

G

former said:
will nizoral helps to slow down the process, since it does help to inhibit little of dht

YES.

Quote from Dr Lee website: Ketoconazole has been proven to decrease the quantities of DHT in the scalp by helping to inhibit its synthesis from sterols.  Salicylic acid has a keratolytic and a slight antiseptic action when applied topically to the skin.  By removing some of the dead epidermal layers of the stratum corneum, there is an enhanced action by the ketoconazole in suppressing the production of DHT in the scalp.

KrazyK

Established Member
Reaction score
well, i've been on just minoxidil for 1 year and 2 months now. I am content with the results...i feel like i have overall kept the hair i had with slight overall thickening. I used to lose massive amounts of hair in the shower, whenever I run my hands through my hair and on my pillow, but now I might have a hair or 2 if that in the shower, none on my pillows in the morning, and none when I run my fingers through my hair. I used Propecia in 2001 for one month where I had a disasterous shed, horrible skin, felt tired, left nut ached and erection quality so I discontinued using it.(maybe it was a bad idea, not sure to this day) Once I feel that Rogaine is not enough, and I am losing my hair a lot like I was before, I might start using Propecia. Right now I am happy with sticking with the hair I have on my scalp. My life has changed a lot though the past 6 months, found a great girlfriend and a great job, my hair is not that big of a priority for me anymore, although I do still care and think about it, I don't go crazy and obsess over it like I used to.