anyone here have a period of denying hair loss at first?

Zeroman

Banned
Reaction score
when i first started diffusing i thought it was just "stress" or "telogen effluvium" or "diet".

i denied that it was normal male pattern baldness

dam it feels bad i could have gotten on rogaine and propecia early just to maintain . . . . . . . .

Jeremy K

Reaction score
Oh yeah, definitely.

When I was 20, I noticed that my bangs would no longer obscure my eyes (I have long hair), but I just attributed this to my hair being much longer (mid back length) than it was when I was in my teens where it was chin length.

Then as it started to look thinner in the ends, I insisted that it was because of damage sustained by trying a straightening iron a few times, and starting to use a blow dryer. There were many hairs that would stick up because they were frayed and only grew to several inches. I figured this was broken/damaged hair that would grow back.

I also developed a bit of a widow's peak at 19, and after freaking out momentarily, I decided that it was just a "mature hairline.

As I hit 24, I noticed in some pictures there was a weird part in my hair where some scalp was showing. I didn't know what this was but figured it'd work itself out.

I finally had to accept that I was thinning later that year in 2006, but I tried not to freak out and thought thinning meant that maybe I'd start losing my hair in my 40s. To my horror, my hair got much worse just one year later and my hairline started taking a hit.

That was when I was no longer in denial and the full on panic hit, which turned into the obsession that we've all experienced.

slipy

Reaction score
my experience was rather tragicomic.

when searching for information on whether or not use of hair gel could cause me to loose hair, i came across an internet article about male pattern baldness. then i learned baldness was hereditary and having a bald father it didn't take long to figure out my fate. i thought ''****, but oh well im still very young, i probably still got at least 5 years before it starts'' at the time i had no clue how it would feel to actually loose hair as far as the emotional aspect is concerned. so it's no wonder all those Norwood 1-2 ****s downplay baldness.

what's funny.

only 2-3 months passed after reading the article and my frontal third started thinning out rapidly (never had a good hair line to begin with). so i knew what was going on but i still was in disbelief.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah of course I went through that. There's so many myths about hair loss but most of the time when a man starts to lose his hair it's about male pattern baldness. For women it might be different and they're the ones that like to spread the myths IMO.

LooseItAll

Established Member
Reaction score
I was never in denial, that's just not my style. I always lay down the facts. It's just at first I didn't know anything about male pattern baldness, I just thought that it is normal to have a NW3 hairline for some and that it will just stay that way. Of course I was jealous of others having perfect hairlines but I said to myself that I wiil do a hair transplant someday. It was thanks to an internet "friend" who was obsessed about going bald(he wasn't oh the irony) that I learned I am going bald at a rapid rate

dinosaur_sr

Established Member
Reaction score
My hairline moved back at first, and I initially put it down to my head shape haha. I used to spike my hair up occasionally, and there were a few dodgy pictures where you could see through it, they scared me a bit put I put them to the back of my mind. My hair was still pretty thick then too. I didn't start taking it seriously until a friend made a joke about it (can't complain as I started it!), then realised how thin and whispy my fringe had got it. Finally, I got a new passport photo that made it plain how thin the top was getting, and started looking into all of this.

Mercury

Banned
Reaction score
My hairloss started when I was so young, I didn't notice. At that age a kid doesn't really consider the possibility of hairloss because it's just not supposed to be an issue. Once i turned 19 or 20 the thinning kicked into overdrive and by 21 I was almost completely bald on top.

I do remember being one of those poor shmucks who always assumed he had "5 more years" and "they'll have a cure for me". typical denial.

LawOfThelema

Experienced Member
Reaction score
yes. i also had hoped my progression would just "stop on its own". for years i avoided ever searching about hair loss, researching treatments etc online, just out of ignoring it.

lobsterlobster

Established Member
Reaction score
I had a period when I was unsure whether the spot on my crown was a bald spot or a cowlick. I was in that denial heavy "maybe this maybe that" phase. That phase of uncertainty was definitely the worst. Once I realized my condition, I felt better in a way.

B

Beingbaldsucksass

I sew non balding guys with wired crown with short hair that may look thin but it's just shape

slipy

Reaction score
it might be a sign of things to come.

mine crown began to look like that before my front was thinning (initially it looked perfectly normal and thick), now it's still the same, not any worse, but my hairline has been ravaged.

so it could be a sign of future hair loss even if the rest of the hair looks thick.

lobsterlobster

Established Member
Reaction score
^Yep, that's exactly what happened to me. I think I had a larger than average crown since the age of 16 (I remember my girlfriend at the time pointed it out, but I just ignored it). And then I really noticed it about 8 months ago. Since then, I've diffused pretty badly all over, but my crown is nevertheless the same. I think the stress of hair loss caused that, since it was so sudden.

Zeroman

Banned
Reaction score
^Yep, that's exactly what happened to me. I think I had a larger than average crown since the age of 16 (I remember my girlfriend at the time pointed it out, but I just ignored it). And then I really noticed it about 8 months ago. Since then, I've diffused pretty badly all over, but my crown is nevertheless the same. I think the stress of hair loss caused that, since it was so sudden.
wats up my fellow young diffuser

i started with a small crown spot when i was 16 which was small and unnoticeable enough to shrug off

come 17 and that **** went beast mode

virtuality

Established Member
Reaction score
The time I noticed my hairloss coincided with a period of stress, weight loss, etc and I initially connected the two. Then I went on google and started reading on hairloss, male pattern baldness, etc and I had to admit that I was NW2-NW3.

I have managed the hairloss rather well for a few years, I used all the shampoos, vitamins, etc but this summer my hair seems to be getting closer to a proper NW3.

Zeroman

Banned
Reaction score
The time I noticed my hairloss coincided with a period of stress, weight loss, etc and I initially connected the two. Then I went on google and started reading on hairloss, male pattern baldness, etc and I had to admit that I was NW2-NW3.

I have managed the hairloss rather well for a few years, I used all the shampoos, vitamins, etc but this summer my hair seems to be getting closer to a proper NW3.
well tbh nw2 isnt REALLY hair loss, my natural hairline is an nw2. and a whole bunch of guys mature to an nw2. its the best looking hairline imo

could i see a picture tho? im curious because nw3s can look pretty different based on the natural hairline with no recession, head shape, etc

B

Beingbaldsucksass

I also was nw2 at base, even as a little kid, hairline was allwayes above the forehead

virtuality

Established Member
Reaction score
Trust me I know the difference between NW2 and NW3. I've been getting comment like "why don't you consider getting an hair transplant, etc"...

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Trust me I know the difference between NW2 and NW3. I've been getting comment like "why don't you consider getting an hair transplant, etc"...

Do you really get those comments? Do fat ppl get comments like "why don't you consider losing some weight" or "why don't you pass up on that chocolate bar" etc.

slipy

Reaction score
no, they don't get those comments. at least not to their faces.

but for some reason it's perfectly acceptable to walk up to a skinny person and say ''you should eat more"

not sure about the transplant thing though.