Anyone have tried stock unit ?

CCS

Reaction score
Even custom pieces are not an exact fit. They get close though. But they start with a flat piece of lace, and put pletes in it to match your template.

I'm sure stock pieces are designed to fit most heads. If your head is a lot bigger or a lot smaller than usual, or you got some weird bumps or ridges, then you might want to go custom. Only toppers are sold as stock. If you get a full cap, you have to order it custom.

I don't yet know how closely my piece fits my head. I'll know tomorrow though.

CCS

Reaction score
If your hairline is already high, and your hair is long enough that you don't to shave it all, just get a stock topper for now. Then when you shave the hair on top to put on the topper, you can make a template and order a custom later. Customs take at least 6 weeks to arrive though, and hair pieces can fall apart in 2 months, so re-order soon.

MichiganBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
I buy stock for now. Stocks are way more consistent in density and size.
I always trim my stock pieces to fit. I trim them to be a bit smaller than my coverage area then I stretch it to fit very tight and snug.
I get them from both toplace and from hatsoffhair.
I would get some from coolpiece but he never has the gray density I need in his stock (1B50)
Finalhair dont carry stocks.

astro6969

Reaction score
Hey Michigan,

Do you think it is possible to cut the front hairline and make it look natural ?

Because I have found someone with a stock unit with my color (20) but the front hairline is not ''A'' shaped as I would like it to be.

Also, do you know if there's different color chart ? From toplace, my color is 20 but from some other company I think it's 20R, is it the same ?

Also for density, I know that coolpiece and toplace density are little bit different. I would like a coolpiece density of 65%, do you know if it's possible to reduce the density because the unit I'am about to order is 90% (but not from coolpiece) ?

Thanks !!!!

Peter

MichiganBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
Trimming the front is normally inadvisable given the nature of how the front is knotted compared to the rest of a hairpiece.
The knots in front are normally single strand and bleached, as well as staggered or gradual in density.

Cutting into it removes the "artwork" or whatever you call it, and leaves you with whats behind it.
However, with carefull consideration and patience, I have been able to reshape a front satisfactorily, but not quite as good looking as it would have been if it`d been made to that shape to begin with.

What you need to do is trim it by cutting only the base and without cutting any hairs. I use a small set of sharp scissors and I open them only wide enough to fit the lace in. That way I dont trim (many) hairs.
The hairs that I do trim, are left with very short ends sticking out plus the knot is left in there too, so I wet it down and slowly, very carefully pull thses short ends plus their knots out.
I`ll also remove a few other hairs here and there to recreate the staggered/gradual hairline that I messed up by trimming the front.
Plan to spned an hour and a half to do a good job. also keep in mind that a trimmed front will fray and wear out faster than an undisturbed front.

As far as color goes theres only one color chart, or color ring but sometimes its a matter of opinion when matching the colors since alot of them look so alike. One guy will look at a hair sample, hold it to the chart and declare it a color #20 while the next guy, squinting, will say naw man, its a 20R.
From what I know, those two colors are pretty close.

With densities, I dont know anymore than you do other than, 65% coolpiece density is quite thin.
Who`s selling 90% density stock pieces?

CCS

Reaction score
I think most coolpiece stocks are 65 or 90%. I trim off almost all the excess lace in front of the hair line. I hope that is not a problem. I just left 1 mm.

astro6969

Reaction score
Michigan,

I'am currently shopping on ebay to find my hairpiece. There are couple of seller there, but i'am blond so that's not easy to find my color... 20...

Thanks for all the info

CCS

Reaction score
Who sells their pieces on ebay?

Coolpiece gave me a color that is too dark. Even if you order a 20, you might not get your color.

I did a quick search, and the lowest priced toupe was $150. Finalhair sells for $120 plus shipping, but you got to wait for them to make it. Toplace is around $175, I think, for a stock. It would be funny if craigslist had some.