Anyone have success with just minoxidil?

bluejay

Established Member
Reaction score
I took liquid minoxidil (kirkland brand) alone last summer for three months but had to stop because of Psoriasis outbreak which bled and heavy waxlike dandruff so I might not be the best person to give advice on this due to the out of control sides I got. I didn't lose nor gain any hair during my time on it though. Three months after I stopped I went through the worse thinning bout I've ever been through (from november to march ) and lost more than three times the amount of hair than the last three years combined. This freaked me out into finally biting the bullet on finasteride but now I'm using the foam instead; which I would highly recommend over the liquid (dries much more quickly and is less messy to apply). Its been three months and I've already made noticeable progress (check my thread if you want) so I would definitely advise you to combine the two otherwise you're only buying another year or two for your hair because you aren't addressing the root of the problem. If anything, I would advise you to take finasteride alone for 6 months before minoxidil because, compared to simply popping a pill once a day, the liquid is extremely tedious to apply and causes a mess on your pillow and leaks while you wait for it to dry so avoiding having to be dependent on it for the rest of your life should be your priority right now. I've personally only ever came across 2-3 success stories (compared to hundreds of Big 3 ones) that used minoxidil alone and I'm sure they returned to baseline in less than two years. I've never heard of long-term significant success with minoxidil alone. This is the closest link you would find and even then the results are underwhelming and they were only able to find 5 dudes to back em up : http://mhgrowyourgame.com/coaches-corner/grooming-hair/consultation-3-proven-successs

sidhu4094

Reaction score
No success with minoxidil

I have used 5% generic (Kirkland) religiously for 2 years without result :(
The only side effect was dandruff...lots of it.

Blessed99

Reaction score
I wouldn't call it success but when I did use Kirkland Minoxidil alone it sort of thickened what I already had. No regrowth. Along with that I developed scalp psoriasis and waxy dandruffs where the liquid was applied. I am now currently on the foam.

sly_fox

Reaction score
I've been using it for about three years now. Twice a day religiously. I originally had some minor crown and temple loss. After the first six months I recovered quite a bit of density and coverage with only just minoxidil (5% generic). I also used nizoral 1% (over the counter) every other day. About around the 2 1/2 year mark i started seeing increased hair loss. Ive loss quite a bit of ground and Im currently considering starting finasteride to see if i can recover some of the lost ground. From my experience, minoxidil peaked at around the 2 year mark.

Martin_173

Reaction score
Been using it on my temples for about 2 years , had some brittle hairs growing but nothing more than that , but it seems to have halted any further loss

Vanhoosan

Reaction score
I've had great success with minoxidil. I did get some shed at first but i have a strong reaction to it. My hair is much thicker even after only 2 months and it also changed color and my facial hair came in stronger too.

alex85

Established Member
Reaction score
Or is just minoxidil not even worth trying (due to risk of shed)?
Not really. Minoxidil is an addition to finasteride, and only if finasteride powers isn't enough to regrow your lost hair.
Solo min users experience nice regrowth in the first 3-12 months, and became happy. But then, fckn DHT always takes over.

resu

Reaction score
You're still losing hair is just that the offset isn't obvious for the first 2 years and then you get back to baseline and below. Studies seem to show max peak at year one.