Anyone Have Experience With Hard Water Damaging Hair?

WheeljackG1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My hair loss is over my full head. I have very bad shedding on my whole scalp. I also have excess sebum production and dandrif I can't control.

I have noticed recently, that the longer I keep my head under the running back after in a shower, the more oily, frizzy, and dull looking it becomes. Could hard water be an issue?

Cowboys fan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have read that hard water can cause calcification to form over the scalp trapping excess sebum and dht . I just started using a water filter and have saw improvement

Flagermus

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it can maybe irritate the skin. The scalp needs to have a pH of 5-5.5 in order to fight bacteria etc. If you leave hard water with a pH of lets say > 8 on your scalp the water will evaporate leaving calcium residue behind, this will then get dissolved in whatever fluid reaches it first (be it rain, sweat or sebum) thereby elevating the scalp pH outside of the preferred range.

I live in an area with very hard water and rinse with tap water mixed with apple cider vinegar after every shower. I use 2L of water mixed with 8.5 mL of apple cider vinegar, giving it a pH of around 5. The amount is low enough to safely leave on the scalp after showering but should be high enough to wash away the hard water.

WheeljackG1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it can maybe irritate the skin. The scalp needs to have a pH of 5-5.5 in order to fight bacteria etc. If you leave hard water with a pH of lets say > 8 on your scalp the water will evaporate leaving calcium residue behind, this will then get dissolved in whatever fluid reaches it first (be it rain, sweat or sebum) thereby elevating the scalp pH outside of the preferred range.

I live in an area with very hard water and rinse with tap water mixed with apple cider vinegar after every shower. I use 2L of water mixed with 8.5 mL of apple cider vinegar, giving it a pH of around 5. The amount is low enough to safely leave on the scalp after showering but should be high enough to wash away the hard water.
Hm, I don't know how accurate the measurement is, but I used a ph strip on my shower and it said 6.8. I do use diluted apple cider vinegar on my scalp from time to time, and it's very soothing. my scalp usually hurts, and it kind of soothes it when I use it.

Flagermus

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hm, I don't know how accurate the measurement is, but I used a ph strip on my shower and it said 6.8. I do use diluted apple cider vinegar on my scalp from time to time, and it's very soothing. my scalp usually hurts, and it kind of soothes it when I use it.

With the neutral pH being 7 that means your water is actually very slightly acid. So it doesn't seem like you have a problem with calcium in your water.

WheeljackG1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
With the neutral pH being 7 that means your water is actually very slightly acid. So it doesn't seem like you have a problem with calcium in your water.
Oh that's good to hear. One less thing to worry about. Thanks so much. Is lightly acidic ok? Would that dry my scalp or anything?

dancingkpopchick

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
use coconut oil.

that will improve the condition of your hair and scalp.

maybe look into a anti dandruff shampoo too.

WheeljackG1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
use coconut oil.

that will improve the condition of your hair and scalp.

maybe look into a anti dandruff shampoo too.
Yea, I use only head and shoulders shampoo. No conditioner. If I use a conditioner or a moisturizing shampoo my hair falls out soooo much. For instance if I use head and shoulders for dry hair, one that supposed to help moisturizer, I'll lose about as much in a half hour as it takes me in 6 days with the standard stuff. Not an exaggeration haha, I compared it for real.

Flagermus

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would be careful with the use of coconut oil, especially if you have a condition like dandruff. The fatty acids in the coconut oil have lengths between 12 and 24 which makes them good food for the Malassezia fungus that is believed to be a pathogen behind true dandruff (seb derm)

WheeljackG1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would be careful with the use of coconut oil, especially if you have a condition like dandruff. The fatty acids in the coconut oil have lengths between 12 and 24 which makes them good food for the Malassezia fungus that is believed to be a pathogen behind true dandruff (seb derm)

You seem very knowledgsble, thanks. Any ideas on reducing inflammation and sub derm? My scalp produces way too much sebum, and it's also red and inflamed most of the time.

Flagermus

My Regimen
Reaction score
You seem very knowledgsble, thanks. Any ideas on reducing inflammation and sub derm? My scalp produces way too much sebum, and it's also red and inflamed most of the time.

I just saw your other thread, and can understand that you're desperate to fix it. I don't know much about hairsystems, but I don't think that using one would be good for your scalp and whatever regrowth you might be experiencing now. So I would probably try to combat the inflammation etc. before throwing in the towel with a hair system.

I haven't answered your other question about redness, inflammation and seb derm yet, as I would like to take the time to write a proper reply and maybe include some links etc, time I haven't had yet.

I can give you a quick list of things to try to combat inflammation and seb derm, but I don't have the time to include references now so you'll have to google the stuff yourself for now:

1. Raw Honey with 10% water, as a mask for 3 hours EOD for 1 month. It's anti fungal (helps against malassezia and seb derm), it's antiinflammatory and it's antiseptic. And it's also pretty cheap.

2. Raw apple cider vinegar rinse with 1:4 mixture of ACV and water, dissolves scalp buildup, fights fungus and bacteria and is antiseptic.

3. Salicylic Acid, anti inflammatory and removes buildup. (it's important to remove leftover sebum to as it can clog the follicles (sebum plugs) and go rancid leading to bacteria growth and scalp irritation.

4. Scalp brush, use this as a mechanical exfoliation to remove sebum plugs and scalp buildup as well as stimulating the scalp blood flow.

5. Zinc Pyrithione shampoo: Antifungal and down regulates sebum production.

6. Shampoos containing Ketoconazole: Helps with inflammation as well as anti fungal. Most people use Nizoral but Regenepure DR shampoo is milder as it doesn't contain SLS.

7. Shampoos containing Piroctone Olamine I prefer this one over Ketoconazole as it's less irritating to the scalp and doesn't dry the hair as much either, but has roughly the samme effect. I use Sebclair shampoo, which is really effective as it also includes other anti inflammatory ingredients (proven to be very effective in a study).

8. Eucerin Anti dandruff scalp treatment. It's a tonic that you leave on your scalp, it contains piroctone olamine to fight the dandruff and fungus and also Licochalcone A which is effective in fighting microinflammation around the follicles.

9. Every antiinflammatory dietary supplement your can google your way to. I use Perilla Leaf Extract, fish oil, turmeric, green tea and so on.

Hope this can help.

WheeljackG1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just saw your other thread, and can understand that you're desperate to fix it. I don't know much about hairsystems, but I don't think that using one would be good for your scalp and whatever regrowth you might be experiencing now. So I would probably try to combat the inflammation etc. before throwing in the towel with a hair system.

I haven't answered your other question about redness, inflammation and seb derm yet, as I would like to take the time to write a proper reply and maybe include some links etc, time I haven't had yet.

I can give you a quick list of things to try to combat inflammation and seb derm, but I don't have the time to include references now so you'll have to google the stuff yourself for now:

1. Raw Honey with 10% water, as a mask for 3 hours EOD for 1 month. It's anti fungal (helps against malassezia and seb derm), it's antiinflammatory and it's antiseptic. And it's also pretty cheap.

2. Raw apple cider vinegar rinse with 1:4 mixture of ACV and water, dissolves scalp buildup, fights fungus and bacteria and is antiseptic.

3. Salicylic Acid, anti inflammatory and removes buildup. (it's important to remove leftover sebum to as it can clog the follicles (sebum plugs) and go rancid leading to bacteria growth and scalp irritation.

4. Scalp brush, use this as a mechanical exfoliation to remove sebum plugs and scalp buildup as well as stimulating the scalp blood flow.

5. Zinc Pyrithione shampoo: Antifungal and down regulates sebum production.

6. Shampoos containing Ketoconazole: Helps with inflammation as well as anti fungal. Most people use Nizoral but Regenepure DR shampoo is milder as it doesn't contain SLS.

7. Shampoos containing Piroctone Olamine I prefer this one over Ketoconazole as it's less irritating to the scalp and doesn't dry the hair as much either, but has roughly the samme effect. I use Sebclair shampoo, which is really effective as it also includes other anti inflammatory ingredients (proven to be very effective in a study).

8. Eucerin Anti dandruff scalp treatment. It's a tonic that you leave on your scalp, it contains piroctone olamine to fight the dandruff and fungus and also Licochalcone A which is effective in fighting microinflammation around the follicles.

9. Every antiinflammatory dietary supplement your can google your way to. I use Perilla Leaf Extract, fish oil, turmeric, green tea and so on.

Hope this can help.

Wow, that's so much good info. I'm definitely ganna have look those up and try them! I knownfor a fact I have those sebum plugs. I have a handheld microscope. I'm starting to think that I have a lot of problems relating to I flamation, so this is great. Do you do all of these? Or is some of it stuff you just know of?

Flagermus

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes I do all of this cycling between the treatments. And some of the stuff I only use occasionally. I know of a lot more treatments, but these are the ones I have had succes with. And I agree I also have inflammation and also believe that treating this is key to a succesful outcome.

WheeljackG1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes I do all of this cycling between the treatments. And some of the stuff I only use occasionally. I know of a lot more treatments, but these are the ones I have had succes with. And I agree I also have inflammation and also believe that treating this is key to a succesful outcome.
I hope some of it does something. I feel like my hair is receding too much st this point to stop though. It's strange, I have this regrowth, that goes even lower than my original hairline, but it doesn't seem to represent what's happening with the rest of my hair at all. Like the rest keeps thinning like normal while this stuff gets slowly and slowly thicker.

dancingkpopchick

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yea, I use only head and shoulders shampoo. No conditioner. If I use a conditioner or a moisturizing shampoo my hair falls out soooo much. For instance if I use head and shoulders for dry hair, one that supposed to help moisturizer, I'll lose about as much in a half hour as it takes me in 6 days with the standard stuff. Not an exaggeration haha, I compared it for real.
Wow that’s tuff buds.

Hang in there.

Like your hair is trying.