Anyone getting Acne while using Propecia or Proscar?

WRXSTi04

Reaction score
So far been on about 2 weeks of Proscar 1.25mg day. No real side effects except the occasionally zits. Anyone having this problem or might it be something I am eating? Any conter products to take to stop it.

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
nothing yet for me but it's only been 3 days :p

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Its very common. It goes away.

x5o

Established Member
Reaction score
Been on proscar 10 years. No neg. side effects. Further, relative to your inquiry, I believe it helped with my acne. It is my understanding that DHT plays a role in acne as well. Good luck.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
x5o said:
Been on proscar 10 years. No neg. side effects. Further, relative to your inquiry, I believe it helped with my acne. It is my understanding that DHT plays a role in acne as well. Good luck.

10 years!? :dropmouth: Hows your hair holding up!?

*edit* NM, I see you discuss it in another post

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
WRXSTi04 said:
So far been on about 2 weeks of Proscar 1.25mg day. No real side effects except the occasionally zits. Anyone having this problem or might it be something I am eating? Any conter products to take to stop it.

i got more spots, on my back and shoulders, after about 2 weeks. went away about 2 weeks after the problem started. i was using neutrogena bodyclear bodywash to combat it, and i noticed it working (was having a bath daily and using the bodywash) v well after a week or so.

WRXSTi04

Reaction score
Someone also mentioned "B5 Supplements" to prevent acne. I am going to do some more reading on it since its new to me :p

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Let me rephrase. It generally goes away within a week or two. No point in getting treatments.

WRXSTi04

Reaction score
hok no treatments it is :eek: :hairy:

fuzbucket

Established Member
Reaction score
i've been on for 6 months..... and i just started noticing an increase in acne...... not significant but fairly certain it's from the propecia as it's in places i dont normally get acne..... anyway i dont mind.

shineydome

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes. I normally have oily skin and when I was going through puberty I had lots of zits. Now that I'm 41, my skin "cycles" every month or so and it goes from normal to "oiler", but the zits no more. When I was a kid, the "oiler" stage would result in massive zits-attack. Well, since being on finasteride, when my skin cycles, "wham"...I have zits again. As a matter of fact, the left side of my face has about 10 blemishes. Real nice, 41, and sitting in staff meetings with zits on my face. Buddy, I feel your pain...

x5o

Established Member
Reaction score
Damn, I guess I am the exception here or maybe most of the ones replying to this post are the ones with similar problems. My clearing could have been coincidental or from other drugs. I did a couple of cycles with accutane either shortly before or after starting the proscar (been so long ago I can't remember - damn I'm gettin' old). I would like to know if there have been any clinical trials done with DHT inhibitors and acne.

scottie311

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd always had a problem with back acne until I tried propecia but it cleared it right up. A very nice side effect.

WRXSTi04

Reaction score
Scottie had the opposite. WTF :freaked:

x5o

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, had to jog this old memory a bit, but I can recall now that the accutane came before the proscar. If memory serves the god awful stuff permanently cleared a good bit of the acne but I still usually had one or two postules on any given day (God almighty!, combine that with hair thinning, it was AWFUL, threw myself into working 3 jobs.........at least it allowed me to retire young.) Anyway, back to the point - now, I do recall that after a few months on the proscar I was getting fewer and fewer zits until, I guess some time during the first year of treatment, when one day I realized that I was hardly ever getting them. That has continued till this day. I only occasionaly will get a bothersome whitehead. Proscar?, Age?, who knows? Acne and hair loss - treatments for both are a bit of a guessing game and what works for one does not always work for others. Actually, a number of Acne treatments advise that your condition will most likely worsen before it improves.......................sound familiar??????

Damned genes. Hell, computer programs get updated every few years, how long has it been since we got updated gene programs? I think it's about time for an update. I can see the headlines now........"New Human gene program 10.0 available now! For upgrade see your local gene dealer"..........."New version contains acne, wrinkle, and hair loss blockers."................."We've also thrown in a double muscle and penis mass gene in the male version and a double breast tissue and super slick and grip vagina gene in the female version." C'mon now, I think we can all agree it is time for an upgrade. Let's have a mass prayer vigil, requesting same. :notworthy

sonicthehedgehog

Established Member
Reaction score
x5o said:
Ok, had to jog this old memory a bit, but I can recall now that the accutane came before the proscar. If memory serves the god awful stuff permanently cleared a good bit of the acne but I still usually had one or two postules on any given day (God almighty!, combine that with hair thinning, it was AWFUL, threw myself into working 3 jobs.........at least it allowed me to retire young.) Anyway, back to the point - now, I do recall that after a few months on the proscar I was getting fewer and fewer zits until, I guess some time during the first year of treatment, when one day I realized that I was hardly ever getting them. That has continued till this day. I only occasionaly will get a bothersome whitehead. Proscar?, Age?, who knows? Acne and hair loss - treatments for both are a bit of a guessing game and what works for one does not always work for others. Actually, a number of Acne treatments advise that your condition will most likely worsen before it improves.......................sound familiar??????

Damned genes. Hell, computer programs get updated every few years, how long has it been since we got updated gene programs? I think it's about time for an update. I can see the headlines now........"New Human gene program 10.0 available now! For upgrade see your local gene dealer"..........."New version contains acne, wrinkle, and hair loss blockers."................."We've also thrown in a double muscle and penis mass gene in the male version and a double breast tissue and super slick and grip vagina gene in the female version." C'mon now, I think we can all agree it is time for an upgrade. Let's have a mass prayer vigil, requesting same. :notworthy

I went on accutane and one thing is for certain. It definitely, definitely has the power to speed up male pattern baldness. It can cause hair loss in woman so it has no problem shedding a mans hair. Made me break out worse than I have ever done in the first 6 weeks of the drug (very common and stated in the leaflet) which echos the condition worsening before it improves thing. The only thing I thought about when on that drug was....hair! Lost a third in weight I would say. Skin was perfect. You can't have bad skin on that drug. If only hair loss drugs were as effective as accutane is on acne.

If you have male pattern baldness in the family make sure your acne is intolerable / can't leave the house before going on accutane.

x5o

Established Member
Reaction score
Actually, it is my understanding that Accutane does not cause hair loss via the DHT route. It actually shrinks the overactive sebacious glands (oil producing glands in the skin). This shrinkage can lead to malnourished follicles. It has been rumored that excessive oil can impact negatively on healthy hair. Apparenlty the transverse is true also.

WRXSTi04

Reaction score
Well I posted this back when I started Proscar. Since then I have seen some small hairgroth on the temples and along the hairline. But I still get acne and it seems to be getting worse. I get it in larger pimples and some time in weird areas. I am thinking of stopping the Proscar but wanted to see what you guys thought first. I have been seeing the dermatologist who has prescribed Minocyline 100mg, Tazorac Cream and Finacea 15% gel

I am taking Proscar and diving the tablets in 4ths(So o1/4 a pill delay)

Is there any backgound that supports Finasteride causing acne?

I tried the B5 supplements which are recommended in acne forums but it causes a laxative effect in sensitive people, unfortunately I am one of them.

Any other solutions. I want to keep my hair and have no zits can't the medicines just get along?

Kramer3

Established Member
Reaction score
I as well have noticed slightly increased acne while on proscar. I've always had great skin so the slight increase hasn't really caused any noticeble detriment. At one point though it did get bad so I went to my doctor and he perscribed this medicine. It's a topical treatment that is used to dry out the pimples really, really fast so that they disappear much quicker. I've noticed a positive change in my skin since using it and lately I haven't had to worry nearly as much about it.

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
Never had much acne before.. still don't have much after i started treatments. I'll put the occurance at around one acne per 6months..