Anyone experienced Reflex Hyperandrogenicity? Need help

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys,

SHORT VERSION: Could I please get some comments from people who have experienced Reflex Hyperandrogenicity as a result of using internal DHT inhibitors (finasteride, dutasteride)? My main question is, how long will this last? Is it temporary or permanent? I've been off Propecia for 3 weeks now, and most people say your hormone levels should return to normal within 1-2 weeks, but my scalp itch/burning shows no signs off stopping.

LONG VERSION: So I tried Propecia for 3 months in total. About 1 month in I started to get mad tingly/burning scalp. I tried to ride this out but after a month it was unbearable, it was literally 24 hours a day and was affecting my work and personal life. After 2 months on 0.5mg ED I cut down to 0.25mg for about a month to see if the scalp itch would subside - it didn't. After a month on .25mg I stopped completely. I should mention that along with this scalp itch my sex drive went through the roof and I had dandruff/oily hair, things I've never experienced before. I'd never experienced any itching whatsoever in the 3 or so years I was losing hair before Propecia either.

At first I thought it was just my body not being able to handle the increase in Testosterone, and it would return to normal once I dropped finasteride. Well I've been off finasteride completely for 3 weeks now and the itch is still here, and if anything the oiliness has gotten worse. Having scoured the web for answers I've come to the conclusion I have had a very rare reaction to finasteride - Reflex Hyperandrogenicity. All of the people discussing this condition in threads have exactly the same symptoms and experiences as me. I've included a summary of this condition at the bottom of the post. You can google it and find loads of information about it. Basically my body, my androgen receptors are super-sensitive to any sudden and significant hormone changes and goes into overdrive trying to balance the unnatural inhibition caused by finasteride.

I'll be honest I'm in full-blown panic mode right now. The burning sensation is constant and unbearable and my hair continues to thin along my hairline and my temples. Needless to say I regret ever touching finasteride and the possibility that I could have permanently over-sensitised my androgen receptors, accelerating my male pattern baldness, after trying finasteride for just 3 months scares the **** out of me. I took finasteride with the belief that if I ever got unbearable sides, I could just quit and they would disappear. I've read posts where people say it's taken months, even years for the itching to stop. The fact this isn't listed as a side effect is unbelievable - respected people in the hairloss community (Dr's Lee, Proctor, Bernstein) all accept this is a possible reaction. The scientific theory is basic and sound.
Q: What is Reflex Hyperandrogenicity?

When the effects of androgens in the body are lessened, e.g. through lowering DHT or by systemic hormone receptor blockade, the body seeks equilibrium through a process called upregulation. This can take the form of increased hormone production and/or increased tissue sensitivity to the remaining hormones.
The reason side effects usually gradually disappear with finasteride is probably due to such upregulation. In a small percentage of individuals, it may be that this process overshoots the mark, resulting in significant hyperandrogenicity.
This is marked by such signs as greatly increased facial oil, increased pimples, and greatly elevated libido. It's possible that in certain cases such hyperandrogenicity overcomes the hair-protective effect of, say, finasteride, though this does not appear to be the case for the vast majority of people..

smyth01

Established Member
Reaction score
Problem is, not one of these 'Reflex Hyperandrogenicity' threads have ever posted pics to back up their claims.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
scalp itch is just typical of shedding/male pattern baldness. Not much to do with "reflex hyperandrogenicity"

You got a little oily and your sex drive increased I don't see how that's a big problem

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
But in 3+ years of my slight male pattern baldness I never had scalp itch or oiliness before trying Propecia - it was clearly the cause of it.
Having a burning/itching scalp 24 hours a day, to the point where it's painful yet painkillers don't help, is a huge problem.
It's at the stage now where I don't even care about my hair, I just want this itching to stop. It's affecting my life worse than hairloss ever did.

Reaction score
**** dude you think maybe stressing is causing the pain to get so bad?

smyth01

Established Member
Reaction score
But in 3+ years of my slight male pattern baldness I never had scalp itch or oiliness before trying Propecia - it was clearly the cause of it.
Having a burning/itching scalp 24 hours a day, to the point where it's painful yet painkillers don't help, is a huge problem.
It's at the stage now where I don't even care about my hair, I just want this itching to stop. It's affecting my life worse than hairloss ever did.

That sounds more like an allergic reaction. DHT wont cause symptoms anywhere near as bad as you have described.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
That sounds more like an allergic reaction. DHT wont cause symptoms anywhere near as bad as you have described.

I considered the same thing. Reflex-hypo matches my symptoms perfectly though.
I keep telling myself that it's just my immune system and my androgen sensors are freaking out to the sudden change in hormones, causing this irritation in my scalp. But after 3 weeks off finasteride this should at least be showing signs of stopping. It's really scaring me that this is permanent.

- - - Updated - - -

**** dude you think maybe stressing is causing the pain to get so bad?

I know that stress, as with all irritant/inflammation type conditions, will only make it worse. But at the time this scalp burning started 3 months ago I was completely stress-free, good job, great girlfriend and feeling relaxed about Propecia. So stress doesn't help, but it certainly isn't the cause.

forestlawn

Banned
Reaction score
Its a common side effect, dont underestimate propecia

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Its a common side effect, dont underestimate propecia

But I can't find anywhere that mentions how long it lasts? Or if it's permanent? I've been off finasteride for 3 weeks now and I just want it to stop. I've read comments from people saying after 1 year+ off finasteride they still have the itch/oiliness/accelerated male pattern baldness.

smyth01

Established Member
Reaction score
But I can't find anywhere that mentions how long it lasts? Or if it's permanent? I've been off finasteride for 3 weeks now and I just want it to stop. I've read comments from people saying after 1 year+ off finasteride they still have the itch/oiliness/accelerated male pattern baldness.

Unfortunately it wont stop if its increased the androgen receptors.

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
Dench, you ever figure this out? I have the same thing but have mine happened at one year mark. Increase in se. Drive, etc..

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I had a massively greasy scalp when I stopped using finasteride but washing with Nozoral 4 x per week has helped. Been off it 2 months now and it still gets greasy but everything else is back to normal, my mood is good, I can sleep 8 hours and back to normal on the horn side even getting morning wood at my age! It may just take a while for things to settle down.

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's funny how you guys discredit this guy when I experienced the same thing being on finasteride for 10 months.

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
any updates?

pcas

My Regimen
Reaction score
I love how you get so many shills from the Pharma companies on here like smyth01. It’d be hilarious if it wasn’t so dangerous.

I’ve posted on this forum - with pictures. Lots of people have.

And yes. Reflex hyper andro is a real thing and yes it devastates your hair. It’s so weird how the Pharma companies don’t spend time fixing problems. They rather try to convince forum heads that they don’t exist.

Hyper andro is real. I’ve had two very experienced doctors - including the head of trichology at UCLA confirm that finasteride killed my hair. So don’t listen to some shill or some idiot who tries to tell you it can’t happen. And there are lots of picture and stories on these boards about it.

In my experience, it did eventually go away but my hair loss has just reverted back to pre finasteride levels.

I’m left with no solutions. I’m sorry to anyone going through the Finasteride nightmare that I went through. We should have been warned.

zeldazoo22

My Regimen
Reaction score
I love how you get so many shills from the Pharma companies on here like smyth01. It’d be hilarious if it wasn’t so dangerous.

I’ve posted on this forum - with pictures. Lots of people have.

And yes. Reflex hyper andro is a real thing and yes it devastates your hair. It’s so weird how the Pharma companies don’t spend time fixing problems. They rather try to convince forum heads that they don’t exist.

Hyper andro is real. I’ve had two very experienced doctors - including the head of trichology at UCLA confirm that finasteride killed my hair. So don’t listen to some shill or some idiot who tries to tell you it can’t happen. And there are lots of picture and stories on these boards about it.

In my experience, it did eventually go away but my hair loss has just reverted back to pre finasteride levels.

I’m left with no solutions. I’m sorry to anyone going through the Finasteride nightmare that I went through. We should have been warned.
Whos this head of trichology you speak of? That department doesn't exist. I'm seeing the dermatologist at UCLA who founded the hairloss department and she hasnt heard of it. She did say theres a possibility finasteride has upregulated my androgen receptors though. I started dutasteride recently, so i'll see if it gets even worse.... Kind of at a crossroads right now... keep going and upregulated them even more, or stop and lose a ton.

I did read that adding topical spironolactone could be a good addition to anyone experiencing RH.