Anyone ever take a really, really low dose of avodart?

Fat-Elvis

Established Member
Reaction score
I was reading some article about avodart written by some doctor, and he talked about how dutasteride has a much longer half life and you don't need to take it as much as propecia, and that some people only take one dutasteride pill as infrequently as once a month, and still see benefits. Has anyone here tried that and seen any results? Any studies showing how much dht that would inhibit? Sure would be the cheaper way to do it, too. :D

Fat-Elvis

Established Member
Reaction score
Well he didn't provide any actual evidence or anything, so I don't know how helpful it would be, but I'll look for it...

Fat-Elvis

Established Member
Reaction score
Ahh, found it. Looks like it's a hairlosstalk.com article, haha didn't notice that at first.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/newsletter/article201.htm

dosing Frequency

On the other hand, the good news is that due to the long duration of action, the optimal dosage frequency might be once weekly or even once monthly. However, the fact remains that there is no clinical data to look towards regarding less frequent dosage schedules, so we doctors, and our patients, will be on our own. The ideal patient may be the person who has used Propecia for extended periods of time and saw results with no side effects.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have much respect for that article, because there are misleading and even incorrect statements in it. In particular, he doesn't specify exactly what he means by "optimal dosing frequency". That ambiguous phrase can be taken at least two different ways, and the author doesn't even bother to explain which one he means.

BTW, one Avodart per month is way too low to have any significant effect.

Bryan

bubka

Reaction score
i have heard of 2x a week at .5mg is enough... though this is just from anecdotal personal usage reports

Fat-Elvis

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
BTW, one Avodart per month is way too low to have any significant effect.

Bryan
Is there any official info somehwere on the efficacy of various dosages of dutasteride, down to .5mg a week or less?

Sean68

Reaction score
once a week would probably do something. im thinking of the study that says. 0.1mg a day is equivalent to 5mg of finasteride. why not try 2 or 3 a week and see how you go.

powersam

Reaction score
i take 5 pills a fortnight. my hairline has not receded any further and actually is starting to look quite alright.

G

honestly i'd just take one pill a day and reduce if necessary.

Sean68

Reaction score
i started with 1 a day and my dick felt like it was in a coma but i agree you should start with that and reduce if necessary.

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i think start with one everyday as well
my plan is to lower the dose to one eod as soon as im happy with the results
i really dont like medication so as less as possible is better

G

roki said:
i think start with one everyday as well
my plan is to lower the dose to one eod as soon as im happy with the results
i really dont like medication so as less as possible is better

according to bryan that probably wont work. he said that you probably cant maintain 2.5 mg dutasteride results by going back to just 0.5 mg, so i don't think that you can maintain 0.5 mg dutasteride every day results with only EOD. if your goal is to cut back to eod then you might as well just start with that at the beginning, since i think any extra gains you get from every day compared to eod will just disappear after switching anyway.