anyone else here suffer a burning/bruised scalp sometimes?

silkeysmooth

Established Member
Reaction score
I've read quite a few posts complaining of visible inflammation of the scalp, and I have experienced it myself, as my scalp is sometimes red, but more significantly I think is the severe pain that I often have.

Sometimes it feels like it's burning, but then other times it feels like a bruise. Either way, my scalp really hurts when I run a comb through the affected area. My scalp has suffered no trauma to make it feel like this.

The dermatologist I visited months ago said I suffer from psoriasis on the scalp, but said there was no indication that it was there on the area where I suffered the most pain and hairloss.

Anyone else had this?

Chujgcha

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have...the area feels warmer than usual,

Sometimes I can feel little bumps

These areas are sensitive to touch

What usually follows, at least for me, is more thinning in these areas.

wangho75

Experienced Member
Reaction score
wierd.. years ago I seemed to have that same bruised feeling on the top back vertex of my head, didnt feel any burning though. I never linked it with hairloss at all though, just was thinking maybe I was sleeping wrong or something because right after I awoke is when I felt this pain. The part of my scalp that I felt this pain, is where I had the most hairloss. I havent had that feeling in over 2 years, however. Why the bruised feeling on the scalp? Just what the hell is that? psoriasis?

Petchsky

Reaction score
wangho75 said:
Why the bruised feeling on the scalp? Just what the hell is that?

Touche. WTF is that?

silkeysmooth

Established Member
Reaction score
Wish I knew the answers, though I am really starting to lean towards this scalp pain being a product of stress, which unfortunately isn't as easy to fight as I once thought.

Since high school everyone in my family has been convinced that I am suffering from chronic stress, and though when I started losing hair I dismissed stress as being a huge factor, I am now convinced otherwise. My stress levels have taken a huge spike in the last few days because I am back in school, and I notice that whenever I have scalp pain, if I cut off my mind from everything and try to find some peace of mind, the pain goes away (momentarily at least).

Unfortunately, I can't shut my mind off all the time, especially now that I have classes. I'm hoping that a daily dose of 3-4 beers will do the trick, because I can't even concentrate when I couple the stress I have with the social anxiety that I get from going to a university where easily 3 out of 4 women is a hot piece of *** (Arizona State University).

Either way, I am becoming more and more convinced that stress plays a much bigger role in hairloss than I previously thought.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
Last year when I was in topical heaven (rev, spironolactone, ozbrew . . .) my scalp was peeling like 2x per week.

I never did invest in any emu oil because I had a stash of vitamin e oil, iamin hydrating gel, and 100% pure aloe vera gel.

Every now and then when the irritation got too much - I'd skip evening applications of rev, spironolactone and minoxidil - and instead rub some e, aloe or iamin into my scalp.

As far as stress levels go . . .

- reduce your sugar and caffein intakes,
- try to eat healthy,
- exercise,
- walk,
- talk to your friends,
- take your vitamins,
- and remember not to take things too seriously.

silkeysmooth

Established Member
Reaction score
hair_tomorrow said:
Last year when I was in topical heaven (rev, spironolactone, ozbrew . . .) my scalp was peeling like 2x per week.

I never did invest in any emu oil because I had a stash of vitamin e oil, iamin hydrating gel, and 100% pure aloe vera gel.

Every now and then when the irritation got too much - I'd skip evening applications of rev, spironolactone and minoxidil - and instead rub some e, aloe or iamin into my scalp.

As far as stress levels go . . .

- reduce your sugar and caffein intakes,
- try to eat healthy,
- exercise,
- walk,
- talk to your friends,
- take your vitamins,
- and remember not to take things too seriously.

I was thinking of something like aloe vera or emu oil or even copper peptides for the scalp, but at the same time, I'm a bit hesistant because I get the feeling anything I try will have some adverse reaction and further irritate my scalp.

What I do know about my scalp pain, though, is that I've had it before I even noticed my thinning (not necessarily before thinning, just before it was pointed out to me), so hopefully if I can find the time to see a different derm soon; and I know it's a long shot, but he might even have some knowledge about skin conditions.

BTW that's a good list, and though many of those will help, not taking things seriously is not easy for someone with extreme social anxiety. I'll try though.

Thanks for the replies guys.

wangho75

Experienced Member
Reaction score
waht hair_tomorrow wrote above is what you need for social anxiety, hard wieghts and all that. No sugar. If worse comes to worst, try Paxil.

silkeysmooth

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks, but I've looked into the burning scalp syndrome, and though I find it interesting, I am already taking anti-depressants (150 mg of Effexor). In fact, I've been taking anit-depressants and/or anti-anxiety medications since I was 16, and I've had the pain consistently since I was 18 or 19.

Paxil did nothing for me, except make me feel worse. I think Ricky Williams said it best when he said marijuana was 10x more helpful for him than Paxil.
Too bad being high all the time isn't a viable option (at least if you want to get anything done).

Petchsky

Reaction score

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
> but it didn't explain the bruised feeling i sometimes get on my scalp

This is a stretch - but you might have allergies and/or a sinus problem. Inflamed or simply irritated sinuses can give you that "whole head headache" feeling.

KEVING, another regular poster on this forum, has a similar condition - and his Doctor just recommended anti-hystamines.

Petchsky

Reaction score
hair_tomorrow said:
> but it didn't explain the bruised feeling i sometimes get on my scalp

This is a stretch - but you might have allergies and/or a sinus problem. Inflamed or simply irritated sinuses can give you that "whole head headache" feeling.

KEVING, another regular poster on this forum, has a similar condition - and his Doctor just recommended anti-hystamines.

Could be. I do have sinus problems... Thanks, i'll look into it.