Anyone Else Experiencing Scalp Inflammation? Get In Here!

stump

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've suffered from scalp inflammation for the last three - four years or so. I recently came across a scientific study regarding the OTC medication Zyrtec (Cetirizine) and how it can boost hair growth (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28604133).

Seeing this and knowing how antihistamines work, it makes sense to me that if a patient was experiencing scalp inflammation, taking an antihistamine such as Zyrtec would allow for a more suitable environment for hair growth. I've been testing this out for the last week or so. I haven't used it topically as the scientific paper suggests but I just pop a Zyrtec whenever I feel scalp pain. I also take two Advil if conjunction with the Zyrtec whenever there is scalp inflammation/pain. Pain pretty much instantly dissipates within five - ten minutes.

I don't know if the medication is doing anything for hair growth but my scalp is the best its felt in years from this combination of medication. I do not use any other medication for this issue or for hair loss.

Also an interesting aside - I normally need to wash my hair every 2 days due to scalp itchiness/inflammation but I went for FOUR days last week without washing my hair and I felt like I could've gone longer. I haven't been able to go that long in 4 years.

Anyone else use Zyrtec and Advil to control scalp pain and inflammation? And let me know if anyone else is going to try this!

Soundgarden24

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was taking antihistamines to combat scalp inflammation but after a few weeks of daily use they lost their efficiency and the itch returned. They weren’t a long term option in my case, unfortunately.

Currently using a topical steroid application prescribed by a doctor.

stump

Established Member
Reaction score
I was taking antihistamines to combat scalp inflammation but after a few weeks of daily use they lost their efficiency and the itch returned. They weren’t a long term option in my case, unfortunately.

Currently using a topical steroid application prescribed by a doctor.

What antihistamine were you using? And what steroid cream now? I've used some of those three years ago

Yoadrian

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i have scalp irritation and i'm not on sh*t... thinning on top... not sure what to do

manda

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I had scalp itch (mostly crown area) starting September 2018. The itch steadily increased by then and I jumped on finasteride mid of December. So far more or less no change but I would say the very strong itches (those who actually hurt too) decreased a bit. This week I had like a burning and hot scalp on crown too for a couple of days..not sure what that was but it started right after I used a tea tree oil

Soundgarden24

My Regimen
Reaction score
What antihistamine were you using? And what steroid cream now? I've used some of those three years ago

I’ve used loads. I completely stumbled across them due to actually having hay fever, but noticed they were also completely nullifying the itch. At the moment I’m using cetirizine hydrochloride. But like I said, I must have built up an immunity to them because the scalp itch returned

As for topical steroids I used betamethasone which worked great for 8 weeks, now I’ve been prescribed dermovate..... must say, dermovate induced a heavy shed so I dunno if I want to continue using it.

I literally don’t know what else to try. It’s so tiring

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've suffered from scalp inflammation for the last three - four years or so. I recently came across a scientific study regarding the OTC medication Zyrtec (Cetirizine) and how it can boost hair growth (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28604133).

Seeing this and knowing how antihistamines work, it makes sense to me that if a patient was experiencing scalp inflammation, taking an antihistamine such as Zyrtec would allow for a more suitable environment for hair growth. I've been testing this out for the last week or so. I haven't used it topically as the scientific paper suggests but I just pop a Zyrtec whenever I feel scalp pain. I also take two Advil if conjunction with the Zyrtec whenever there is scalp inflammation/pain. Pain pretty much instantly dissipates within five - ten minutes.

I don't know if the medication is doing anything for hair growth but my scalp is the best its felt in years from this combination of medication. I do not use any other medication for this issue or for hair loss.

Also an interesting aside - I normally need to wash my hair every 2 days due to scalp itchiness/inflammation but I went for FOUR days last week without washing my hair and I felt like I could've gone longer. I haven't been able to go that long in 4 years.

Anyone else use Zyrtec and Advil to control scalp pain and inflammation? And let me know
Hey guys,

Anyone else use Zyrtec and Advil to control scalp pain and inflammation? And let me know if anyone else is going to try this!

How has this affected the shedding of hairs in the shower or your comb? Also any reduction in scalp oiliness?

stump

Established Member
Reaction score

I'd say my scalp oiliness is definitely lower when I take the antihistamine. Probably why I can go without washing my hair longer too.

I’ve used loads. I completely stumbled across them due to actually having hay fever, but noticed they were also completely nullifying the itch. At the moment I’m using cetirizine hydrochloride. But like I said, I must have built up an immunity to them because the scalp itch returned

As for topical steroids I used betamethasone which worked great for 8 weeks, now I’ve been prescribed dermovate..... must say, dermovate induced a heavy shed so I dunno if I want to continue using it.

I literally don’t know what else to try. It’s so tiring

Cetirizine is the antihistamine I'm using currently. I don't think I tried that steroid but I tried a bunch for short periods with not much success to be honest. I also use a jojoba oil peppermint oil and rosemary oil combo about weekly after wetting my hair.i then wash that out when I actually shower like thirty mins later. This also helps with the itch. I also add a drop of sandalore to it as well.

I had scalp itch (mostly crown area) starting September 2018. The itch steadily increased by then and I jumped on finasteride mid of December. So far more or less no change but I would say the very strong itches (those who actually hurt too) decreased a bit. This week I had like a burning and hot scalp on crown too for a couple of days..not sure what that was but it started right after I used a tea tree oil

Tea tree oil can be quite irritating I'd you have a sensitive scalp. Depends on the concentration. Give the antihistamine and Advil a try!

stump

Established Member
Reaction score

I'd say my scalp oiliness is definitely lower when I take the antihistamine. Probably why I can go without washing my hair longer too.