anyone else completely obsessed?

G

JesusFreak wrote:
Jogging increases dopamine and other brain chemicals, and after about a month or so I started getting a more accurate image of myself, and my hair stopped falling out. I think you can probably get the same effect out of various chemicals on the market.

DarklyCharming wrote:
Couldn't agree more. I work out and lift weights a ton. The feeling you get after a great workout and the endorphins that are released give you a chance to feel happy and see yourself through a more accurate lens than hair loss paranoia. Plus, you're improving your body's appearance so if the hair completely goes, you can flex an arm and the girls still swoon.

Couldn’t agree more either guys.
Losing your hair isn’t the end of the world but losing yourself in it is the beginning of your end.
I have been working out and doing a lot cardio for almost 7 years.
Don’t put all of your eggs in one basket.
Don’t depend on one thing to make you feel good about yourself.

Ventje

marksb11

Established Member
Reaction score
JesusFreak-

Are you saying that once you stopped worrying about your hair loss and getting exercise, you stopped losing your hair? that would be the ideal situation for me, obviously.

Its rather funny that in my psychology course we just started learning about depression and the effect dopamine has on your body, and here we are talking about it and my personal accounts.

stepbehind

Reaction score
Well, for someone that already works out I don't see that as a solution to the problem. I know that I should get over it, and sometimes I really do. Sometimes I go for days without even thinking about my hair. But then someone might make a comment, or I might catch someone staring at my receding hairline and everything just comes right back.

The Gardener

Reaction score
I have noticed a correlation regarding exercise and attitude during my tenure as a contributor to this board.

Now, this is unscientific and informal, but it always seems that the contributors to this forum who are athletes or avid exercisers tend to have a much better outlook and tone to their postings. They are certainly bothered by hairloss, but generally have a more balanced perspective on it.

Just an observation that I had noticed for a while now.

Reactions: 623

marksb11

Established Member
Reaction score
I wish that athlete statement were true for me. Im a freshmen in college and up until this year, I played soccer (football) all my life and also ran on my town and track teams. I loved the exercise...I got such a big adrenaline rush from playing in an exciting soccer game or just about to take the baton in my favorite race, the 4x400 meter relay. Nowadays, I don't even feel like getting up and going to get some exercise. I played soccer here at college for a few weeks, but then stopped. Stopped lifting also.

Axon

Reaction score
I'm quite the opposite - I did not start exercising and getting my body in shape until I accpeted that I was losing hair.

I have to agree with the Ol' G here.

pleasehelpme

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah there was one point in my life where my hair seemed to have grown back all thick...

i think it was due to the fact that i decided to not worry about losing hairs... i didn't count hairs (this is a big one) and just keep yourself busy. not only sports but you can just go chill with friends and meet new people. play some ball. when you're having a great time.. your hair becomes a minor issue.

but everyone has their happy days and their shitty days..

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It's a cybernetic loop. You try not to worry about hair loss but worry because you are losing your hair.

G

The key is that you have to learn to like yourself as a person. Until you can do this then no one else will like you. Sometimes hairloss will stop this from happening. The key is to keep fit and you will feel much better about yourself. It does not happen over night. It takes a couple of months of good exercise to feel good about yourself.

I recommend swimming to start with..... then work up to other stuff. Get you body conditioned first and the start of heavy stuff....

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've had a mini trampoline for some time now that I've been trying to get into. I've read that trampolining burns more calories than any other aerobic exercise other than swimming.

Swimming sounds great but A) I don't swim B) It's inconvenient and C) Isn't chlorine bad for the hair?

EDIT: Damn grammatical errors.

fred

Reaction score
I am completely obsessed by it.
My girlfriend of 2 years dumped me 3 month ago and since then my hair decided to dump me as well. Now she tell me via msn she misses me and so on.
The problem is I am so insecure about my hairloss, and the fact my hairloss worsened a lot since last time she saw me (my hair was ok then) that, though I am still in love with her like a mofo, my worst nightmare is to meet her again. I mean, it is to the point that I would prefer my hair back than the person I am in love with.
Suddenly, in my mind appeared the truest philosophical quote ever: Hairloss sucks.
Yes, I wake up thinking about it, I go to sleep thinking about it, even though I have many other bad things to think about in my life.

upnorth

Reaction score
This is thread is sad to read, I wish all you guys the best, clearly this is easier for some than others. Just a few points:

-Other people really don't care, or not nearly as much as you think they do. I barely even noticed anyone elses loss until mine started.

-There are alot more to looks than hair, get your self in shape, and start dressing better. Dress like a man, not like a kid. You will look far better in something bought from http://www.clubmonaco.com/ than some lame baseball jersey, or pair of baggy jeans. Sean Connery was balding through his whole sting as 007, and he always looked great.

-cut it short!!!!! If you keep in trim you don't have to worry it going out of place in the wind, or looking bad after a long day.

misterium

Reaction score
^ That sh*t is too expensive and there's nothing wrong with a 'casual' jeans & t-shirt look unless you have to work in a professional environment..

You can dress young and still be a man... and I'm not talking about saggy *** doo-doo jeans either.

Otherwise, ya gotta do what ya feel :D

Status quo is good though.
FOR ME TO POOP ON!

upnorth

Reaction score
I'm not saying to scrap you jeans, and t-shirt. But just make sure you are wearing a clean / flattering / in-style / and property fit pair of jeans and T-Shirt.

The ladies are not impressed by a t-shirt or jersey of you favourite football team, even it is the great Minnesota Vikings.

There are probably guys in this group who meet girls and worry they are noticing their hair, when they are actually noticing the stain on your shirt. Or you the pair of Jeans you haven't washed in 2 weeks.

misterium

Reaction score
^ Depends on what type of girls you're trying to attract of course man..

;)

I tend to change my 'style' up frequently.. sometimes I'll wear a plain black t-shirt with a pair of black pants and some black oxfords..

Sometimes I may be wearing an old school punk band t-shirt with a pair of jeans cuffed at the bottom and some boots..

I agree though, slob doesn't do the trick, if you're gonna go for a vintage faded look, do so with class ;)

In the end, it all just depends on what your thing is.. dig ?

The Gardener

Reaction score
It is one thing to be balding... but it is even worse to be balding and frumpily dressed. In the eyes of women, there are two kinds of bald looks.. good balding and bad balding. Sean Connery is a good example. Do you want to look distinctive and classy, or do you want to look like the stereotypical sorry-*** slob character that every teen flick has in it.

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just been diagnosed with BDD. Always suspected I had it (psych major) and excited to start treating it. I recommend anyone who can afford it to go see a CBT therapist if you are thinking about your hair or other body parts/appearance on a regular basis. If not, at least read that book.

Hair loss is the biggest trigger of BDD in men and I think a large amount of men with hair loss probably have it (it's a spectrum). I believe I have a combination of hair loss that may or may not be apparent and a disorder that makes me see it in an exaggerated and negative manner. For example, I just looked at the back of my head in the mirror after the gym and thought I could see my red scalp where a bald spot would be through my hair. I went much closer (right up to) the mirror and couldn't see anything but hair. That's an example of the power of the mind to alter perception. It's a pretty crazy phenomenon.