Anybody made the switch from 0.5mg to 1.25mg?

drmk4

Reaction score
About 2 and a half years ago I started with Propecia 1mg, but after a few months I decided to go with 0.5mg to save money (and I was worried about side effects). Recently I got a prescription for Proscar 5mg so I could further save more money but also increase my dose. So I got the 5mg finasteride through an online pharmacy and they called me to see if I wanted a cheaper variation (about $35 less) of what I originally ordered so I said yes. I get it in the mail and realise that it's a generic brand since it doesn't say Proscar, rather APO-Finasteride 5 (the company is Apotex, which I researched and they offer generic stuff).

So just wondering whether anyone has made a similar switch? Going from a brand Propecia, to a generic 5mg where I plan on cutting it into quarters. Is this a 'good idea'? Should I have just gone up to 1mg and stayed at that? Should I take a piece every day, or ever second day? Is it even accurate enough to cut them into quarters and expect a roughly 1.25mg dose? At the moment I'm using up the remainder of my 1mg pills by only taking them as 1mg so I can 'prepare' my body for the increased dose.

B

Beingbaldsucksass

I started with 1 mg every other day and after a month decided to switch to every day, 3 days later started to see my tits starting to go out (gynocemnia or whatever they call it) so I quited immidiatly for a week then returned to every other day again

pidda

Established Member
Reaction score
Started with 0.7mg... went up to 1.25mg... now taking 2.5mg... not going to increase the dosage anybody but I am considering to add dutasteride down the road

drmk4

Reaction score
I started with 1 mg every other day and after a month decided to switch to every day, 3 days later started to see my tits starting to go out (gynocemnia or whatever they call it) so I quited immidiatly for a week then returned to every other day again
I think trying to diagnose yourself isn't the right thing to do since we're prone to exaggerate or interpret something that we think is a sympton when it isn't. After 6 months on Propecia I thought I was getting gyno and after a visit to the doctor, a few more months of observation, I realised that it wasn't gyno just me being paranoid.

Started with 0.7mg... went up to 1.25mg... now taking 2.5mg... not going to increase the dosage anybody but I am considering to add dutasteride down the road
So 2.5mg every day? How's that working out for you? And have you noticed any noticeable symptons?

B

Beingbaldsucksass

I think trying to diagnose yourself isn't the right thing to do since we're prone to exaggerate or interpret something that we think is a sympton when it isn't. After 6 months on PropecUia I thought I was getting gyno and after a visit to the doctor, a few more months of observation, I realised that it wasn't gyno just me being paranoid.

Paranoid? My tits were definitely bigger in 3 days, I dident thought of gyno before and read about it only after getting symphtomes and searching about that in the internet, I also felt chest pain during those days, I wasent paranoid I was realistic, and wtf, "diagnosic myself" I think I can tell if my body changing in 3 days, my tits grow no one could not see it, even my friends

pidda

Established Member
Reaction score
I feel fine. I been shedding a lot lately though. I am only 5.5 months since taking finasteride though so maybe I am due for a shed. I noticed the shed more when I started to use topical saw palmetto extract. I think it makes my other topical treatments absorb more deeply.

drmk4

Reaction score
The shedding should go away. I've had my moment of shedding, but it always comes back a bit stronger.

LawOfThelema

Experienced Member
Reaction score
the dose response curve is close to flat over a pretty wide range, including over the range from 0.5 to 1.25. shouldnt make much of a difference in terms of the result or the side effect.

Rawtashk

Reaction score
I was on .5 for 3 years, then went to 1.25 to save money. Funny thing happened...my crown filled in even more!