anybody here try low dose spironolactone?

baldinglikeamofo

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of starting myself off on a low dose of spironolactone of about 12.5 mg with a max dose of 25 mg.

Anybody try this before?

I'm already on dutasteride, just think i need a little extra help for my hair.

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't advise doing that. Men aren't supposed to take oral spironolactone, it can lead to horrible side effects (transsexuals use it for a reason).

If dutasteride, the most potent and powerful of hairloss meds, can't stop your male pattern baldness, then I'm afraid nothing else will.

baldinglikeamofo

Established Member
Reaction score
Primo said:
Wouldn't advise doing that. Men aren't supposed to take oral spironolactone, it can lead to horrible side effects (transsexuals use it for a reason).

If dutasteride, the most potent and powerful of hairloss meds, can't stop your male pattern baldness, then I'm afraid nothing else will.

You are basing this on what evidence? Transsexuals use a high dose.

Patients with heart disease are put on spironolactone all the time.

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
baldinglikeamofo said:
Primo said:

You are basing this on what evidence? Transsexuals use a high dose.

Patients with heart disease are put on spironolactone all the time.

Yes that's right and have you read what happens to some of the heart patients who use it??

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... =pmcentrez

Anything that directly decreases testosterone production is dangerous in my opinion.

Your choice man, I just think it's a very uneccessary risk, especially when you are already on dutasteride. If oral spironolactone was actually safe for men to use, then why would companies waste their time producing all the topical variant?

You can understand heart patients being willing to take oral spironolactone though... because they're actually dying.