Any women out there taking Propecia? I am.

zippy

Reaction score
I'm 39 and after I went off the Depo-Provera shot, my hair began to thin. It's not too bad right now, but I have what I THINK is a very small bald patch at the back of my head. It actually looks like my part is extending down the back of my head. I'm freaking out, to put it mildly.

Went to a derm, who prescribed spironolactone and Propecia. There are warnings about women and Propecia all over the Internet, but my derm said women can and do take Propecia--as long as they don't get pregnant.

Well, I'm taking it, but I'm a bit apprehensive. The doctors told me Depo was safe, too--and it's the most destructive "medication" I've ever taken. I cannot believe that hair loss is not mentioned more prominently in the Depo-Provera literature, but there you go.

Anyway, is any woman out there taking the big P? If so, what is your experience?

This won't let me go back and add to my post, so I'll just say I'm also using the 2 percent Rogaine, and I'm terrified of the shedding. Did most of you who used Rogaine go through a period of shedding? And if so, did you at least grow all that shed hair back?

Have been lurking here for the past two weeks. It's great to have a place to come and vent and share information. I appreciate any and all of your replies.

Cricket

Reaction score
I know a woman who used Propecia along with Rogaine 5%. She started to get too much facial hair so she had to stop using it. She's still using the 5% though. I've heard that the shedding can last up to 2 months on any kind of minoxidil treatment.

IBM

Reaction score
2002 was my worst year at all levels. I was in deep sh*t. :x

kento

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't see reason why women to use propecia, there is more better stuff like oral spironolactone which is safe for women but not for man

darklustre

Reaction score
zippy said:
I'm 39 and after I went off the Depo-Provera shot, my hair began to thin. It's not too bad right now, but I have what I THINK is a very small bald patch at the back of my head. It actually looks like my part is extending down the back of my head. I'm freaking out, to put it mildly.

Went to a derm, who prescribed spironolactone and Propecia. There are warnings about women and Propecia all over the Internet, but my derm said women can and do take Propecia--as long as they don't get pregnant.

Well, I'm taking it, but I'm a bit apprehensive. The doctors told me Depo was safe, too--and it's the most destructive "medication" I've ever taken. I cannot believe that hair loss is not mentioned more prominently in the Depo-Provera literature, but there you go.

Anyway, is any woman out there taking the big P? If so, what is your experience?

This won't let me go back and add to my post, so I'll just say I'm also using the 2 percent Rogaine, and I'm terrified of the shedding. Did most of you who used Rogaine go through a period of shedding? And if so, did you at least grow all that shed hair back?

Have been lurking here for the past two weeks. It's great to have a place to come and vent and share information. I appreciate any and all of your replies.

I took Depo and it nearly destroyed my liver. I had very high Hep-C levels and my doctor was going to hospitalize and have me biopsied before it righted itself after over a year of sickness and fatigue!

Are you PCOS? That is the only reason I can see for the drugs you are on. Aldactone is a testosterone- inhibitor. I've found it highly effective in conjuction with laser-hair removal. I hope it helps with my receding hairline.