Any way of increasing our SHBG (SexHormone-binding Globulin)

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
baller234 said:
misterE I know you are trying to decrease DHT and estradiol while raising testosterone but do you believe that at the follicular level estrogen is beneficial for hair follicles and protective agaiasnt Androgenetic Alopecia? It's been well demonstrated that estrogen is protective of scalp hair follicles while having the opposite effect on body hair.

No. I belive that estradiol and 16-hydroxyestrogen actually increase the effects of D.H.T.

Why else would old men get prostate enlargement despite low androgen levels?

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
Hoppi said:
Yeah I mean to be honest I am a bit baffled as to why people have a theory that taking beta-Sitosterol is so amazingly different to the Finasteride they talk about so much.

Finasteride decreases the conversion of "free" testosterone into D.H.T.

Beta-sitosterol decreases the amount of D.H.T. that binds to S.H.B.G.

dpdr

Established Member
Reaction score
misterE said:
Finasteride decreases the conversion of "free" testosterone into D.H.T.

Beta-sitosterol decreases the amount of D.H.T. that binds to S.H.B.G.

And Saw Palmetto ?

dpdr

Established Member
Reaction score
misterE said:
dpdr said:
And Saw Palmetto ?

Beta-sitosterol is the active ingrediant in saw palmetto.

But what is the dose to take Saw Palmetto ? you already heard about the RU58841? What is your opinion about it ?

Hoppi

Reaction score
dpdr said:
misterE said:
Never heard of RU58841? What is this?

RU55841 is a non-steroidal DHT inhibitor antiandrogen, it is the best drug for hair loss, it is stronger than Flutamide and without side effects,

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9798729

misterE said:
Interesting...but I perfer mother nature (beta-siosterol)!

hmm, I definitely think I will remain open to all these different things :)

I really want something effective, PREFERABLY natural, and that works with my body as much as possible :)

I really am glad I have all you cool guys to chat to about this stuff, I would be totally lost otherwise :)

Hoppi

Reaction score
First post in a while I know...

but misterE I read in one of your older posts that flax seeds increase SHBG... is this true? I googled it and yes a fair few hits seem to back it up!

I mean, other than dietary and lifestyle changes, are flax seeds my best bet at boosting my SHBG levels?

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
Hoppi said:
First post in a while I know...

but misterE I read in one of your older posts that flax seeds increase SHBG... is this true? I googled it and yes a fair few hits seem to back it up!

I mean, other than dietary and lifestyle changes, are flax seeds my best bet at boosting my SHBG levels?

Yes, flax seeds do in fact increase SHBG, this is because they are phytoestrogens, which means they latch onto SHBG in place of cancer causing estrogens like estradiol, thus increasing their clearance from the body. Also flax seeds effects estrogen metabolism; they shift the ratio from 16-hydroxyestrogen (bad estrogen) to 2-hydroxyestrogen (protective estrogen).

2-hydroxyestrogen is able to displace estradiol from SHBG, thus increasing its metabolic clearance. This is very important because when estradiol binds to SHBG it exerts the same effects as DHT!

But I wouldn't just rely on flax seeds to increase SHBG. Dietary protein restriction and dietary fat restriction both drastically increase SHBG, dietary fiber increases SHBG, exercise of any kind increases SHBG, green tea increases SHBG, vegetables increases SHBG, and believe it or not, alcohol also increases SHBG.

Hoppi

Reaction score
Oh ok, that's cool :)

Maybe I should include flax seed somewhere in my regimen :)

Green tea I would do, but I do keep hearing that it may increase DHT so I'm just wary of it I guess. Flax seeds seem safer!

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
Hoppi said:

Green tea I would do, but I do keep hearing that it may increase DHT so I'm just wary of it I guess. Flax seeds seem safer!

Green tea is safe, as long as you don't put sugar in it. Green tea is truly amazing because it protects against "the big three" diseases associated with male pattern baldness; atherosclerosis, diabetes, and enlarged prostate.

dpdr

Established Member
Reaction score
misterE said:
Hoppi said:

Green tea is safe, as long as you don't put sugar in it. Green tea is truly amazing because it protects against "the big three" diseases associated with male pattern baldness; atherosclerosis, diabetes, and enlarged prostate.

MISTERE

What better way of eating flaxseed ? I grind them in a blender ?

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
misterE said:
If you ask me...Male pattern baldness is caused by eating animal products...it's the only explanation I can come up with! If any of you can come up with a better explanation, I'd like to hear it...because back in the 1940's male pattern baldness was unheard of in Japan and China!

male pattern baldness is genetic. I don't understand how you can refute that. If you already have the genes, going vegan isn't going to do anything. It might make you healthier, but it won't grow your hair back.

The rise of male pattern baldness in Japan came after WWII when Caucasian genes crossed the ocean. American guys started bangin' lots of Japanese gals and... voila... male pattern baldness in Japan.

Mopless

Established Member
Reaction score
I enjoy looking a problem from different angles, so don't get me wrong, but if changing your diet and exercising is all you have to do get your hair back, then I honestly think we would be seeing success stories with it instead of success stories with minoxidil, finasteride, and other treatments.

This isn't to say I think diet and exercise can help with male pattern baldness, I think it can. I just think it's limited on how far.

LewdBear

Reaction score
misterE said:
male pattern baldness had to start somwhere...someone down the genetic line was the first to go bald.

And that individual was almost certainly non-human.

LewdBear

Reaction score
timbo said:
The rise of male pattern baldness in Japan came after WWII when Caucasian genes crossed the ocean. American guys started bangin' lots of Japanese gals and... voila... male pattern baldness in Japan.

While I agree with the basic idea behind your post, I think the above claim is, at best, minimally supported.

Both male pattern baldness and a very small amount of European genetics (mostly Portuguese) existed in Japan before WWII. I find the theory that American servicemen had a substantial impact on balding in the Japanese gene pool highly unlikely for several reasons :

- male pattern baldness exists in many Asiatic groups without evidence of a substantial degree of European interbreeding.

- I have found (and I've looked extensively) no actual data supporting the "before and after WW2" notion of Japanese balding. It seems to be largely based on conjecture, confirmation bias, and, perhaps, superstitious reasoning.

- Even if such data did exist, there was a Taiwanese study showing smoking worsens Androgenetic Alopecia in Asian men, though this almost certainly translates to everyone. If you look at data showing the prevalence of smoking in Japan (which actually does exist), you will see a steep increase in smoking after the 1940's.