Any tact way to avoid "shed" while starting Minoxidil?

Goldee Lox

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I know this has to have been done before.. Anybody here been able to? I'm attempting it by tapering on to it slowly.. One application at night every other day for awhile. Pace it up slowly until I just do a single application at night.

I use Kirkland Liquid and mainly apply it to the front. Been using 1% Nizoral to start with it. I'll use Nizoral and then skip 2 days and use a PH balanced baby shampoo in between. Been doing this for a couple of weeks. If anything my hair is better in this first 2 weeks.. as in better hair days, I'm wise enough to know you can't have real regrowth so quickly.

Also using a few supps which I have been using for some time. Hair Skin and Nails Vitamin, MSM, Fish Oil, Saw Palmetto, Milk Thistle.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
How do you expect to get regrowth if you don't shed? Gotta get rid of all those weak thin hairs so the next hair cycle can bring a stronger hair in their place.

Usually seeing shedding is a sign that minoxidil will work for you. I hope that's the case.

Goldee Lox

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I see no reason why it can't work on your head in the same manner it works on some guys beards.. They don't have a "beard shed".. Just sayin'

warner8

Established Member
Reaction score
in my experience, you have to watch shedding. bc one one hand, it might mean the minoxidil is working, but then it could also mean that your hair is also naturally being lost from DHT in the scalp. minoxidil doesn't work for everyone, and it can stop working after a number of years, so just watch it.

How do you expect to get regrowth if you don't shed? Gotta get rid of all those weak thin hairs so the next hair cycle can bring a stronger hair in their place.

Usually seeing shedding is a sign that minoxidil will work for you. I hope that's the case.

Goldee Lox

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
in my experience, you have to watch shedding. bc one one hand, it might mean the minoxidil is working, but then it could also mean that your hair is also naturally being lost from DHT in the scalp. minoxidil doesn't work for everyone, and it can stop working after a number of years, so just watch it.

Agreed.

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score
As stated earlier shedding is something you probably want. If you look at many of the big success stories the people that respond best are individuals that go thru a big shedding phase then see tremendous regrowth after. If it does happen, it's temporary but you'll likely have thicker hair in the long term so I say it's a trade off I'd be willing to take.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I was afraid of the shed, and I definitely did shed a lot for about a month. I even bought some kind of hair filler because I saw shiny areas on my head (see Oct pic in recent thread here) and wondered how much worse it would get.

But you know, the new small hairs do come in fast and fill in the area. Obviously every situation is different, but that was my experience. The shed is real but not terrible, and goes away quickly. 6-7 weeks in it looked more or less like when I started, and now 3 months in it's definitely better than that.

Goldee Lox

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was afraid of the shed, and I definitely did shed a lot for about a month. I even bought some kind of hair filler because I saw shiny areas on my head (see Oct pic in recent thread here) and wondered how much worse it would get.

But you know, the new small hairs do come in fast and fill in the area. Obviously every situation is different, but that was my experience. The shed is real but not terrible, and goes away quickly. 6-7 weeks in it looked more or less like when I started, and now 3 months in it's definitely better than that.

This definitely reassures me... I'm worried about potentially messing my hair up :/

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
As stated earlier shedding is something you probably want. If you look at many of the big success stories the people that respond best are individuals that go thru a big shedding phase then see tremendous regrowth after. If it does happen, it's temporary but you'll likely have thicker hair in the long term so I say it's a trade off I'd be willing to take.
I shed and am regrowing

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
This definitely reassures me... I'm worried about potentially messing my hair up :/

Ya, I think that chances are good that you wont mess it up. But, its clearly a commitment for life, which is a little bit of a freaky thing, isnt it. Using for 8 months, or 8 years, and then getting lazy and taking a few weeks off clearly doesnt seem to be an option. And... while I think its probably always helpful for most people.... as is often discussed here, eventually the root causes of going bald are going to push you back to where you started at, or even worse. And I think thats probably a time when a lot of people decide to stop taking it - like, why am I even doing this if its not helping? But it is helping, because without it theyd be worse off. And then they stop and lose a ton of hair, and its a fairly quick and dramatic change. So... ya. It's for life........

Goldee Lox

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I know shedding occurs.. I just don't want to have some massive shed. I'd rather it be tapered and slight. Slight at least in the eyes of other people.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It's something that I think was noticeable to me, but probably not anyone else. Maybe a little bit noticeable to someone staring and comparing but not like a DRAMATIC change.

Goldee Lox

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's something that I think was noticeable to me, but probably not anyone else. Maybe a little bit noticeable to someone staring and comparing but not like a DRAMATIC change.

Nice.. That's what I'm hoping for. How would you rate Minoxidil in your experience, yetti?

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Nice.. That's what I'm hoping for. How would you rate Minoxidil in your experience, yetti?

Excellent!! I definitely have signifcantly more hair than when I started, which is about 3 1/2 months ago. It's quick and easy to apply, and I only do it once a day. I have no sides.

I do use a lot of it, and I am careful to really get almost all of it on the crown and hairline. After a few months of this I've gotten good at really saturating the right areas, without getting much on hair or having it drip onto other areas of my head.

Sonicblu650

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Im thinking of starting rogaine just at my temples. I know the shed is a good thing but id like to minimize it as much as possible as well. How has minoxidil worked so far for you? Its been a lil over a month since you started this thread. Just curious

Hammer

Established Member
Reaction score
For the last three months I've dropped minoxidil from once a day to once every other day, after using for 5 years or so. I'm going to stop altogether next month

No shedding so far. Then again, I never shredded whilst on it, nor did I get any results so seems that I may just be a complete non responder...