Any success adding 0.5mg Dutasteride to 1.25mg Finasteride?

paulsteel0

Reaction score
This article made me want to try this. I've taken two pills now of Avodart and will take my third this Thursday. I'm already noticing shedding in the front though. Sorta bad. And I know dutasteride, for better worse, has a reputation for this.

Has anyone tried this? And stayed with it for any length of time? I've scoured the net but it seems like a lot of people say they will try it but either quit or don't follow up after a few weeks.

meddyharry

Reaction score
Found this study here. Though they use 0.5 mg of dutasteride without any finasteride.

EDIT: Combination of finasteride and dutasteride. Sorry no full article available for free...

paulsteel0

Reaction score
That's an interesting post.

Yes that is the study I am referring to. I know especially since it came out a lot of guys have decided to give it a shot since it's pretty cheap to just add one 0.5mg of duasteride a week. But it seems like people either quit after a month or two or they start recording their progress but then stop posting about it after not a very long time. So I've not had the evidence to go off of I'd like. (I know someone is going to correct me and say it's not evidence it's anecdote okay thank you I was lost now I am found.)

Seems like if it was a miracle solution more people would have found out about it by now. Both drugs have been on the market for 10+ years now. The regrowth of the patient in the article is impressive though. I'm depressed I'm shedding on the top-front of my head though because of it. I have no vertex thinning I am a diffuse thinner beginning from the front working to the back. I'm not sure duasteride is for me.

pidda

Established Member
Reaction score
currently i add 0.5mg dutasteride every other day to 2.5mg finasteride every day... seems to be working, getting new hairs

paulsteel0

Reaction score
currently i add 0.5mg dutasteride every other day to 2.5mg finasteride every day... seems to be working, getting new hairs

How long have you been on? What kind of thinning do you have.

I'm on 1.25 mg proscar and now 0.5mg Avodart. I'm scared an encouraged. I'm shedding in the middle front of my head where I have had the most diffuse loss, and a lot of it I've noticed is crappy miniaturized hairs. This could be a good sign. Also, it could just be a shed I don't ever get back. So I'm paranoid. Too many stories about Avodart not doing anyone any favors at the front.

I'm only two and a half weeks in. I figure I need to decide whether to stick it out or pull out right about now.

pidda

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd say stick with it. I shed a lot of hairs when I got on dutasteride. At least most of it grew back. I was forming an island of hairline hair with crown balding starting. I am not completely satisfied yet but things look very promising for now.

paulsteel0

Reaction score
I'm tempted to quit just cuz my hair looks good right now you can't tell I'm thinning unless you really do some inspection. Do I want to potentially throw that away? Or wait until more drastic days ahead which inevitably will come...

How long did you say you'd been trying it?

Thinning Sucks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Try adding dutasteride to minoxidil....I plan to do with with a 2-3 tabs to see if any effect. I can't take it anymore (bad pain in groin).

WarLord

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm already noticing shedding in the front though. Sorta bad. And I know dutasteride, for better worse, has a reputation for this.

You are fantasizing. It is not possible to experience shedding from dutasteride after few days.

paulsteel0

Reaction score
2 weeks not a few days. I decided to take that third pill and if it got worse just quit, but so far I'm almost to week four and shedding hasn't been bad at all. Though I notice I'll shampoo the sides of my head, look at my hand, shampoo back of my head, look at my hand, shampoo vertex, look at my hand, and shampoo frontal 2/3rds of head, look at hands, and consistently there is more shedding at the front. But again took my third duasteride almost on week four and it hasn't picked up since first week or so. Steady Eddy. But minoxidil made me shed within a week so I think other medications can. So fast.

pidda

Established Member
Reaction score
I been on dutasteride since September of 2012 but I started at a lower dose at like once a week. I moved up to every day and then went down to EOD.

A

Allen Parks

You guys are bat sh*t crazy. Straight from the Avodart website:

AVODART may cause serious side effects including a higher chance of a more serious form of prostate cancer.
The most common side effects of AVODART include:

• trouble getting or keeping an erection (impotence)[SUP]‡[/SUP]
  • a decrease in sex drive (libido)[SUP]‡[/SUP]
  • ejaculation problems[SUP]‡[/SUP]
  • enlarged or painful breasts. If you notice breast lumps or nipple discharge, you should talk to your healthcare provider.
[SUP]‡[/SUP]Some of these events may continue after you stop taking AVODART.
Depressed mood has been reported in patients receiving AVODART.
AVODART has been shown to reduce sperm count, semen volume, and sperm movement. However, the effect of AVODART on male fertility is not known.

Some men have different priority than others, I guess.

thiswomps

Reaction score

AVODART may cause serious side effects including a higher chance of a more serious form of prostate cancer.

• enlarged or painful breasts. If you notice breast lumps or nipple discharge, you should talk to your healthcare provider.
AVODART has been shown to reduce sperm count, semen volume, and sperm movement. However, the effect of AVODART on male fertility is not known.

The more I see you post the more it seems like you have a chip on your shoulder beyond anything else.

I would like to ask though, why are you guys choosing to add dutasteride on top of finasteride? No regrowth and no maintenance?

ladysmanfelpz

Established Member
Reaction score
Shedding after a few days is definitely possible. Probably depends on metabolism and how you respond to the drug, but I definitely saw the same effects. Where people are wrong in thinking that dutasteride inhibits a type of dht that is not responsible for hair loss is hosh posh. In fact the type 1 dht which dutasteride inhibits and finasteride doesnt is found in sebaceous glands which are prevalent in your skin and next to hair follicles. Type 2 is most prevalent in the hair follicle itself. I myself have very oily skin and after taking dutasteride my skin has never felt this great. About 3 days after starting dutasteride my other bald buddy was like hey man you are looking thin, and I didn't believe him as I have maintained on finasteride, but low and behold I was shedding after only 3 days of starting. About 2 weeks in and I'm shedding like a b**ch.

paulsteel0

Reaction score
Update: Well I went ahead and continued with the process. I just took my fourth pill so I'm about to begin week four. I think I still have a slight shed but it's not bad it's extremely mild. I think I could shed at this rate for a couple months without it being noticeable, so that was one reason I decided to continue the process. I'm a little encouraged actually because if it is a mild shed it means my low dose is having a moderate effect. The fact I don't notice any change in hair despite a bit of shedding may be because I'm regrowing hair as fast as it's shedding? And I don't think I'm damaging any follicles ti's jsut giving them new hormonal signals to grow so if I do end up having noticeable lost which I -don't- have yet it should all grow back it's not like dutasteride made more dht attack my follicles. (Thoughs ome say the increased scalp test does just that I'm pretty skeptical of that idea.) I'm pretty sure at a value of only .05 mg once a week that I've about reached steady state in my blood levels so this s abotu the most potent duasteride will be in my system. So far so good *slight* ball ache week three I must confess, but I'm going to try and ride it out. It's very, very slight. I'm assuming my body is just getting adjusted to the medicine. But yeah so far no significant shed or frontal loss or anything like that. And if I quit I imagine since it's at such a low dose most of it hsould be out of my system pretty quickly so I feel I have an easy out if htings go south in a hurry al of a sudden. But right now feel good. I can't tell if anything dramatic has happened it's only been three weeks. I'm going to wait untjil four months to see if this is worth the money and risk. - - - Updated - - -
The more I see you post the more it seems like you have a chip on your shoulder beyond anything else. I would like to ask though, why are you guys choosing to add dutasteride on top of finasteride? No regrowth and no maintenance?
I'm not maintaing quite as well in the front and I wanted to nip it in the bud with this little experiment.

- - - Updated - - -

Shedding after a few days is definitely possible. Probably depends on metabolism and how you respond to the drug, but I definitely saw the same effects. Where people are wrong in thinking that dutasteride inhibits a type of dht that is not responsible for hair loss is hosh posh. In fact the type 1 dht which dutasteride inhibits and finasteride doesnt is found in sebaceous glands which are prevalent in your skin and next to hair follicles. Type 2 is most prevalent in the hair follicle itself. I myself have very oily skin and after taking dutasteride my skin has never felt this great. About 3 days after starting dutasteride my other bald buddy was like hey man you are looking thin, and I didn't believe him as I have maintained on finasteride, but low and behold I was shedding after only 3 days of starting. About 2 weeks in and I'm shedding like a b**ch.
I have actually noticed a very slight change in hair texture. It looks kinda like after I use Nizoral especially if I use too much the hair is not as heavy. Could be my imaginatino but interesting you siad that because I had been thinking that myself.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey can I ask you how much you weigh? Dr. Bernstein syas you have to weight a tleast over 150 for it to be advisable to double doses. I know 150 isn't that much but man 2.5 finasteride everyday and duasteride every other day that's a ton of medicine how are you handling that?

pidda

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey can I ask you how much you weigh? Dr. Bernstein syas you have to weight a tleast over 150 for it to be advisable to double doses. I know 150 isn't that much but man 2.5 finasteride everyday and duasteride every other day that's a ton of medicine how are you handling that?
My crown feels really weird every time i wake up in the morning. It happens to be where I am also getting a lot of that male pattern baldness inflammation going on which is part of the reason why I started using nizoral. I might be getting a little extra fatigued in general as far as negative sides go. Oh, and I weigh about 155 pounds currently.

WarLord

Established Member
Reaction score

Add "a pimple on the nose every 3 days" - and I will immediately quit this life-threatening pill! LOL

- - - Updated - - -

But how can he recognize shedding from the number of hairs in the shower?! He can as well be making this up. The most important thing is how much hair is on his head and if he observes changes in the density on the hairline - which is nothing difficult, unless you observe your hair from a 1-meter distance.

paulsteel0

Reaction score
Update: I am definitely going through a shed. I don't notice any extra hairs in my hands after I shampoo or on my pillow like I did the first two weeks, but I just started week 6 and I am noticing that the parts where I have the most thinning of hair and where my male pattern baldness is the most advanced has really thinned out.

Hope this means its going to be regrowth there soon....that's where I need it and that's where miniaturized hairs are.

he90

Reaction score
@paulstell0 do you have any news to share? really curious about your shed experience