Any stats on sides due to propecia/finas?

Masdonne

Reaction score
I know there are lots of stats on side effects caused by finas on the web, some say that the 5% with sides are not true.

I was wondering if there is any poll on this forum made about sides on finas?

It must be very relevant since a lot of guys here are worried about the sides (including me)!

beaner

Reaction score
sonotcool said:

You will never get accurate statistics on side effects by polling an internet forum. You would be led to believe that 90% of men get side effects and finasteride is to blame for every ailment you have.

Many people seem to believe that the incidence of side effects is much greater than the 2% reported by Merck, however there isn't one single bit of evidence to support this notion.

Masdonne

Reaction score
beaner said:
sonotcool said:

You will never get accurate statistics on side effects by polling an internet forum. You would be led to believe that 90% of men get side effects and finasteride is to blame for every ailment you have.

Many people seem to believe that the incidence of side effects is much greater than the 2% reported by Merck, however there isn't one single bit of evidence to support this notion.

Ofcourse, that is so, but don't you think that you will get a slightly more accurat result when posting it here rather than on propeciahelp.com?

When reading these forums, one can easily notice that, generally, there are two kind of persons; those who are strongly against it, saying never to take that drug which will very much likely affect your life negative for a long time if not your whole life,
and those who are very positive to it, saying that just a couple of percent gets sides and most of propecia takers keep their hair.

I would say that a fair amount of people here are strongly against propecia, I got the feeling that every other post about propecia is negative.
If I had to guess I'd say 20-50 % om hairlosstalk are against propecia (also often suffered from sides).

In my opinion, I do think a fair amount of the sides are psychological, since, for example, your libido is very much affected by phsycologics. When I first read about propecia I was thinking to myself that I will NEVER take it. I even felt pain downstairs later that day, and for a second thought that it was due to propecia, before it hit me that I never took it, just read about it.

Still I can feel pain in my balls just reading about propecia!

Anyways, I must say that I get a little bit scared of all who claim they got sides, since I might have to do something about my hairstatus in the near future (no regimen yet and no visible hairloss yet except for my generally thin hair) and therefore also include propecia...

Rawtashk

Reaction score
I first noticed some thinning a bit over 5 years ago. I was about to pull the trigger on finasteride...but then ran across the propeciahelp site. It freaked my sh*t! I decided against taking it. I thought to myself, "It sounds like it's a guarantee that I'm going to get fucked up in the sexual department. HELL NO!" 2 years later someone made a comment about my "thin spot". I freaked out again, and decided that I was going to take the plunge. 3+ years later and I still have 85% of my hair, but none of the sexual sides.

Just think about it all for a second....I'll give you 2 scenarios:
Scenario #A: Man starts thinning. Doctor gives him finasteride. finasteride works. Man is happy and goes about his business.

Scenario #B: Man starts thinning. Doctor gives him finasteride. Man gets sides from finasteride. Man wants to fix sides. Man goes online looking for help and posts in forums trying to find help.

THAT is why there are more negative things than positive things online about finasteride. Most people that have successes don't feel the need to talk about it. I was on it for 3 years before I ever made one post on a forum about my hairloss battle and my experience with finasteride. Now, you bet your sweet *** that I would have jumped online and started trying to find help had I gotten persistent sides.

I'll use another example: My wife and her job. Every day I hear about drama and difficult customers (she's a personal banker). Usually it's 1 or 2 bad customers a day...but I know that she deal with anywhere from 50-100 each and every day. How many times does she tell me "Oh, there was this really nice lady today"? None. How many times does she have nice customers? More than none. It's simply human nature to latch onto the bad experiences and talk about those.

Also, re-read what it says at the top of the forum page in the "Side Effects" forum:
Please remember that this forum is not an accurate representation of how common side effects are. The minority who do experience them tend to seek out online sources for help. Clinical study data is the only reliable source for this information.