Any reported deformed babies because father was on finasteride/dutasteride?

theagx

Banned
Reaction score
I've heard and read that finasteride and dutasteride may be good for preventing baldness but they will increase the chance of you having a deformed baby.

If it can affect your sperm quality and consistency, then there is no doubt that it can affect what will later become a foetus.

Is anyone here thinking about having kids?? Are there any documented cases of babies being born deformed or with mental retardation because of the father being on finasteride or dutasteride?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
theagx said:
I've heard and read that finasteride and dutasteride may be good for preventing baldness but they will increase the chance of you having a deformed baby.

Do you think the FDA would have authorized the taking of finasteride or dutasteride (even for BPH), if there were even only a SLIGHT chance of producing a "deformed baby"?

Chris87

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
theagx said:

Do you think the FDA would have authorized the taking of finasteride or dutasteride (even for BPH), if there were even only a SLIGHT chance of producing a "deformed baby"?

Well they've authorized drugs that were later recalled for flat out killing people so....maybe lol

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Chris87 said:
Well they've authorized drugs that were later recalled for flat out killing people so....maybe lol

Occasionally new information comes out about harmful effects from old drugs; I don't think it's much of a possibility that this issue with "birth defects" is going to occur with finasteride and dutasteride.

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is this a joke?

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Finasteride has a well known teratogenic effect in that it has the potential to interfere with the normal develop of the fetus. It’s believed that this effect could result in underdevelopment of the genitals and potentially result in sexual ambiguity. This is fairly self explanatory, as DHT is crucial in the development of sex organs, inhibition would likely severely impede this developmental stage. This is the reason for the explicit warning on the PI that states women should stay away from finasteride pills.

However, I can fairly confidently say that there has not been a single case report of this ever occurring. I believe the only way for this to happen is if a woman were actually taking finasteride daily during the course of pregnancy. Finasteride is found in a very small quantity in the semen, but it is such a miniscule amount that it does not pose any risk to the fetus.

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mew, that one was new to me. Again, a perfect reason women should stay away from finasteride, especially if there is the potential for having children.

rcom440

Reaction score
It's funny when people refer to FDA when it comes to the safety of the drugs.
I don't trust anything FDA says.
FDA is a big joke!!!!

Rawtashk

Reaction score
rcom440 said:
It's funny when people refer to FDA when it comes to the safety of the drugs.
I don't trust anything FDA says.
FDA is a big joke!!!!

Everyone has to trust someone. Someone has to be in charge of something. It's just a fact of life.

coolfx35

Reaction score
I stopped propecia 15 months before trying to conceive my daughter, my daughter is now 4 year old, she is healthy. It probably wasn't necessary to stop, but after talking to my doctor and plus I want 0 risks. I've chosen to stop.