Any Recommendations To Reduce Sebum Production?

Cs1408

My Regimen
Reaction score
Also does anyone know anything about a link between sebum production and hairloss?

I used to never have sebum lumps in my hair but right before my hairloss got really aggressive I started noticing a ton of sebum production. So much so that I've had to pick it off my scalp and some have even caused pimples on my scalp.

I recently got on finasteride, I'm doing rogaine twice a day. But looking for something to reduce this crazy sebum production..

Giiizmo

Established Member
Reaction score
Sebum production is linked to several factors, notably:
- androgens
- stress (cortisol)
- inflammation

Some people who got on finasteride reported decreased production of sebum. Others who also used finasteride noted increased inflammation and sebum production though it's somewhat rare (possibly due to rebound increased androgen receptor sensitivity).

Ketoconazole (Nizoral) can also help at times as it has mild anti-inflammatory, anti-androgen (very weak) and anti-dandruff properties. Use it sparingly, no more than 1-2 times a week and let it sit for 2-3 minutes top - any more and it'll fry your hair and could even exacerbate any preexisting inflammation and induce more hair loss.

Other than that, the usual crap about reducing stress and having a healthy lifestyle applies.

To note, people who use HRT drugs such as cyproterone acetate and spironolactone (orally) usually have significantly reduced sebum production. Of course, it's very risky and usually implies severe side effects. Practically no one would recommend this route but it's an illustration of the role of androgens in sebum production.

artursco

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nizoral...or any piroctone olamine/zinc pythrione shampoo daily. Found in most anti dandruff shampoos.