Any realistic hopes of a cure in next few years?

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
There will be a massive meteor that will impact the earth right before a cure for baldness is marketed. God hates us and if he can't have bald people to laugh at then he will have no people at all.

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
dudemon said:
uncomfortable man said:
There will be a massive meteor that will impact the earth right before a cure for baldness is marketed. God hates us and if he can't have bald people to laugh at then he will have no people at all.

OR ... we will finally get a cure for male pattern baldness ... when we're 70 years old!

OR ... there will finally be a cure for baldness ... but it will only work on women ... as if they really need it!

A woman losing hair is not a nice site.

Actually, more to the point, looks horrible. I feel for them.

T

TravisB

Women losing hair are in very small minority, unlike men :p. Also women hairloss is different. Sometimes woman with shitty hair wash it with a good fuckin shampoo, or a fuckin turnip a few times and voila, perfect hair again!

kc444

Established Member
Reaction score
If a cure does come out, its unlikely that it's going to come from a group like Follica or Histogen. The reality is that if these firms had something that looked like it would cure male pattern baldness, they would have loads of money to do testing and would be very rich. These groups, I think, are mainly showcasing their patents in the hopes that someone will buy them out. I'm sure they are also looking for a cure, but keep in mind that it is in their interests to create a buzz and hype up their research.

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
dudemon said:
Oknow said:
A woman losing hair is not a nice site.

Actually, more to the point, looks horrible. I feel for them.

uh am I missing something? ... it doesn't look "horrible" on us men? WTF?!?!?!? :smack:

Oh sorry, you wouldn't know what its like to be bald ... you still have a full head of hair. I forgot.

My hairline has receeded a bit.

And bald men still go on dates; bald women will have a much harder time.

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
Most of these cures are targeting both male pattern baldness and FPB, so I wouldn't worry dudemon.

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
dudemon said:
kc444 said:
If a cure does come out, its unlikely that it's going to come from a group like Follica or Histogen. The reality is that if these firms had something that looked like it would cure male pattern baldness, they would have loads of money to do testing and would be very rich. These groups, I think, are mainly showcasing their patents in the hopes that someone will buy them out. I'm sure they are also looking for a cure, but keep in mind that it is in their interests to create a buzz and hype up their research.

Yes - I agree with this. In fact Replicel's CEO said exactly that. At the end of video #4 (all 4 vids can be found on youtube) at around the 4:30-5:00 mark, he specifically said that in 2015, once their phase 3 testing had been completed and evaluated, they will be looking to SELL their process to big-pharm/big-biotech and THEY will be the ones who will likely distribute and sell it to the marketplace via existing qualified hair transplant doctors.

So even after 2015, we're looking at ... ??? MORE years before it actually becomes available for us, which will be dependent on how long it takes big-pharma/big-biotech to figure out how they want to utilize this new technology in order to MAXIMIZE their profits ... which may not be in our best interests; but, in the best interests of their profit margins.

Bottom line:
We have a LONG way to go before we can realistically even THINK about having this done. Until then, the "cure" will be nothing more than hype. :jackit:

I read this on another forum, will paste it here:

Hey Man,

I'm sorry to single you out, but you're the only one who used figures as an argument against "Big Pharma" being a negative thing for this whole process.

Time and time again I see this agreement, but yet little thought goes into it, and figures are pulled from the sky.

Are "Big Pharma" out to make the most money possible?
Yes.

But let's look at it objectively, Johnson and Johnson are Big Phama, they turn over 24 billion a year or there about right?

But what do they make from the average Rogain user $240 per year, let’s assume the average user uses the product for 20 years that’s $4,800.00.

Currently only 10 percent of balding men seek treatment.

Now let's assume you’re Big Pharma, I come to you with a product and say, how about instead of $4,800.00 over 20 years for your existing clients, I give you $20,000 for each of them today, and not only that, I will expand your client base by 300 percent.

Just something to think about.
------------------------

That sums it up for me.

Propecia is ineffective, as is rogaine, if they were reliable treatments, then you know, you would have a point. By introducing something side effect free that somebody has to take monthly, a big phama will make more money in the long run due to capturing a bigger market share.

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
Still not taking into account the fact that it is not effective for everyone, and not everybody can be arsed to apply minoxidil twice a day for the rest of their lives. Then you have the sides etc...also the effectiveness of the product dies down after a few years, which means even for long term use, it is not a viable solution.

If on the other hand was a truly effective product, it will capture a greater percentage of the market. Guys who are otherwise on the fence will buy it.

dimitar_berbagod

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I completely buy the 'big pharm stopping new products/cures' theory. That's not because I don't want it to be the case, I just honestly don't believe it.

Propecia & Rogaine are sh*t, they work for a small percentage of people and lose their effectiveness after time. They worked for me for about 6 months and then did f*** all! I think I'm right in saying that these new procedures will require top ups every so often so there will still be people purchasing their products/using their procedures. If they work, the money generated from these new treatments will dwarf anything made by propecia/minoxidil.

I don't mind being fleeced by any big pharm if their treatments will work!

rxdr1

Reaction score
dudemon said:
FWIW:
I HATE minoxidil ... I HATE EVERYTHING ABOUT IT!

I just can't stand puting that greasy crap on my head twice per day. Its just nasty; very much like wearing really sticky hairspray all day, every day. Even the foam .... it sucks big time! If I could choose to stop one of these drugs minoxidil would definately be the one. I would stop using it in a heartbeat. But I have no choice. My hair transplants have produced an overall low density result. The Rogaine helps a little ... I suppose. But when I get my last hair transplant done, I will definately try to stop using Rogaine ... for good.

As far as finasteride, for me it has never caused sides. I have also been using it for 13 years now and it has allowed me to keep most of my pre-hair transplant hair, FWIW. Although I am currently a NW5-6 with a NW2 "outline" ... the typical results of a NW5 who goes for hair transplants.

However, from what I've been told, when and IF, finasteride stops working, you can simply up the dose from 1mg per day to 2mg, and this will resume its DHT blocking abilities. (This is what I have been told by a few hair transplant surgeons and by several very knowledgeable people in the hair transplant bizz). This isn't a big deal to up the dose, because, after all, men with prostate problems take 5mg of finasteride per day, and very few of them get any sides. If that doesn't work, there's always Dutasteride; a closely related and stronger form of finasteride. But dutasteride is far more expensive.

But TRUE - both finasteride and minoxidil do not really do a whole lot for most guys who use them. I can attest to that!

If you could go back when you first started balding or noticed it and finasteride was available would you have taken it? That's crazy to think balding has caused your life to change so much and you respond well to finasteride or at least without side effects so you wouldn't have had any problems. That's how I feel about some of these new treatments, they may work best for guys who haven't gone bald yet so we could theoretically be seeing the last generation that has to go bald.

mumof3

Reaction score
The technology of DHI is amazing. My husband had it to the temple areas. It takes about 6 hours for treatment and the patient is conscious and chatting the whole time and only needs a local anesthetic. In a matter of weeks the hair begins to grow and once it starts it doesn't stop. He went to www.traceybell.co.uk. He wishes he'd done it years ago and his brother in law is now also going to get his whole head done there. I wouldn't have believed that this would have worked so well but he only got it done in September and now it's grown really long. I'm considering getting my eyebrows done as well. He was so brave and it's changed our life. There is hope out there and success stories. He has never been so confident nor so happy. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Technical

Reaction score
Honestly I'm 19 and I could have gone on finasteride a year ago, I still could now and probably save most of my hair, but it's not worth the risks at all. We have no idea of the risks down the road. Anyone who thinks globally blocking a hormone is a good idea is simply an idiot. There WILL be long term affects.

Technical

Reaction score
dudemon said:
Technical said:
Honestly I'm 19 and I could have gone on finasteride a year ago, I still could now and probably save most of my hair, but it's not worth the risks at all. We have no idea of the risks down the road. Anyone who thinks globally blocking a hormone is a good idea is simply an idiot. There WILL be long term affects.

I've been on finasteride since '98 and I have never suffered any sides from it. Whether it will cause any "long term effects" or not, is anyone's guess. But the same could be said about eating radiated food, or living too close to a cell phone tower, or drinking tap water, or ... etc ... you get the picture! :dunno:
No. It really couldn't.

The fact that there are individuals who suffer sides years later attests to the possibility of never being able to have sex again. I'd rather not risk that.

Ori83

Experienced Member
Reaction score
At TBT they say we will have something this year, i really cant see any effective treatment on the horizon at this point, none of these companies showing great constant results, my guess is something around 20 years from now, at about 2030's there will be some effective treatment *if* they will keep pushing it like they do now.

My guess is based on :
A) what those companies publish
B) if you search the forum you will see threads dating back to the 90's, since than it always has been "3-5 years from now", the best thing is to keep it real and really to not care for a cure at this lifetime - rather use those energies for something more effective.

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ori83 said:
At TBT they say we will have something this year, i really cant see any effective treatment on the horizon at this point, none of these companies showing great constant results, my guess is something around 20 years from now, at about 2030's there will be some effective treatment *if* they will keep pushing it like they do now.

My guess is based on :
A) what those companies publish
B) if you search the forum you will see threads dating back to the 90's, since than it always has been "3-5 years from now", the best thing is to keep it real and really to not care for a cure at this lifetime - rather use those energies for something more effective.

Apart from Intercytex, name me one company that has demonstrated results such as Histogen (who demonstrated this on humans)/Aderans have done in the 90s/early 2000?

Not many...that is the difference between now and back then.

Matt Skiba

Established Member
Reaction score
Much pessimism on this forum, and after being on these forums for a couple years now, I can't really blame anyone for having that attitude.

BUT

However long it might take there is some progress being made, and money being invested, so to straight out say it's hopeless is a straight out lie. Hope does exist, but how much hope you have is up to you.

Now we have 3 CREDIBLE companies working on this, and if you look at Aderans which has been around for almost 10 years now (crazy to think about this in retrospect), their estimated completion date for current trials is February 2013, which is only about a year from now, and if this is actually successful, I'm guessing the procedure will be available for a high price in a select few clinics that will probably be overbooked, and might not even be in the US at first. They also bought out what was left of Intercytex so I would assume they've learned from what went wrong in that. Truth is, we don't know if it will work until February 2013, they won't even know if it will work until then since it's a double blind study.

Science is incremental, so I don't even think Intercytex was completely in vain, as Aderans did end up buying the intellectual property, and if Aderans fails, I'm sure Histogen or Replicel will buy out what's left and learn from these failures. These are scientists working with some very technical molecular biology, so any research they acquire, even if it didn't lead to a treatment, will likely help them tweak out whatever it is they're doing by adding to their knowledge of cell proteins and things like that. Aderans acquired whatever findings Intercytex had, and still felt what they were doing was worthy enough to proceed forward with, so I strongly expect better results in their trials than intercytex. Aderans is also currently running the most intensive trials on a hair loss cure EVER.

Now, very recently Histogen won a lawsuit against Skinmedica which allows their research to continue. One thing I found out that is not listed on the official Histogen website is that they have commenced trials and are recruiting. It is in the Philipines, so I would assume you have to live there to be in it hah. With Histogen we find out if their Phase 1 trial amounts to anything around June-December, 2012, so it's not too far away. The results are anyone's guess, including the people working at Histogen themselves.

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01501617?term=histogen&rank=1

Legitimate government FDA trials website showing all currently running trials on androgenetic alopecia treatments, of anywhere this would absolutely be the place to find out what is going on:

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?cond="Androgenetic+Alopecia"

So in conclusion, don't be hopeless, but remember to look at this objectively at the same time. Also don't obsess, because if there's anything worth knowing about, you only need to check up on these companies about once every 6 months. You'll go mad if you keep checking every day for an update, though I'll probably be doing it anyways haha.

Technical

Reaction score
dudemon said:
Perhaps if your balding got much worse you might be a little more willing to try it someday. Whatever, suit yourself.
I'm 19 years old, have been balding since 18 and in a couple months I'll have to shave it all off because it will become visible. I don't really see how it could be much worse. The difference is that I've learned to accept it and rather than being so desperate to risk my future health I've taken a vanity hit.

Not only will I save any health conflicts in the future I'll also save money.

Rnz

Reaction score
I started checking this forum about a year ago and I was overwhelmed by the amount of research and was sure that we are on a verge of a breakthrough. So many companies working on different mechanisms to prevent or cure baldness.
During this year there was absolutely zero progress. so I dont have a lot of hope at this point.

Is there any chance that there are other companies that work on this without publishing their results?

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
back to the original question
if i am not mistaken ARI and Histogen are due to start phase 3 this year
if both the companies make it then that would be yes (the probability of a product in phase 3 making a product onto the market )

if only 1 make it then the answer is probably

if neither do......then we're fu?cked