Any one practicing with High Intensity Intervall Training?

G

How do you train it? Is it possible to train this in a gym or do you need a sports field? I am thinking about doing HIIT in order to lower my body fat percentage.

CCS

Reaction score
To lower your body fat percentage, eat about 25% of your calories from protein and do full body resistance training to maintain muscle mass. Then do aerobics with your legs to burn the fat.

oni

Reaction score
Try cycling! :D it's good for burning fat and is better on your joints!

pologuy514

Established Member
Reaction score
100 mile run (ultramarathon) - Intensity Training

I'm training for a 100 mile race (ultramarathon) in June. I've been working up my miledge every week running thus far and now i'm at around 40 miles. Around May i'll do a few 20 mile runs at once and one 40 mile run prior to the race. I bump up my miledge 10 miles a month. I started training 3 months ago at 10 miles. I just got a gym pass yesterday to throw into the mix and have started eating right since my training eating basically subs, pastas, veggies, and many more carbs. I also bought a few different vitamins. Running even if your not a regular runner can help a you a lot.

Just start out running a few miles a day and progress to what you feel is right. You feel soo fulfilled after it's all said and done.

b0ngman

Reaction score
i play waterpolo which is pretty much HIIT. Sprint down, post up for 30 seconds, sprint back.... its killer and it will get you in shape very fast

CCS

Reaction score
Are you saying that they harder you work, the faster you get in shape? Some people are saying the ideal workout range is around 65-80% your max heart rate. I'm able to work out at 185 beats per minute. Would I get in shape faster if I maintained that instead of averaging 160?

b0ngman

Reaction score
yes, i think so. Sprinting is better training overall IMO. Take a look at olympic track sprinters and look at their cross country counterparts. The sprinters have a much superior physique. Not sure if it will make you shed fat as fast or faster, though.

Lorenzo_91

Established Member
Reaction score
To get fit fast you do HIIT, full out sprints, jumping rope, stairs and anything that changes pace fast. What I mean by fit is you get in shape Quicker. It will hurt more therefore your cardio will build up much faster from day to day.

It's the pain principle. Most people can't handle it when they first try to get back in shape or for the first time ever. They probably won't even know how. Ex athletes do it to get in shape fast.

Now for losing weight or just your average workout so you won't quit after one of them. Yes the 60 to 80 range is fat burn.

Take of running full out and when your heart hits a wall you can slow down but keep going and until you are just jogging and keep jogging after that. Sprint again.

What that does is gets you heart use to being at rest and all of a sudden having to react BAM extreme stress on it. Makes it strong in a hurry.

You could never achieve that by just jogging every day.

G

I want to try HIIT (or guerilla cardio as it is also called) because I have read that male models use it in order to make their sixpack look better. I dream to have a sixpack one day.

I plan to practise with HIIT in the forrest. I just hope that there are no people walking with their dogs who might laugh at me.....

G

Taugenichts said:
I want to try HIIT (or guerilla cardio as it is also called) because I have read that male models use it in order to make their sixpack look better. I dream to have a sixpack one day.

I plan to practise with HIIT in the forrest. I just hope that there are no people walking with their dogs who might laugh at me.....

I can almost picture you sprinting in the forest, from one log to another, as spectators with their puppies look on

Run Taugenichts, run!.

CCS

Reaction score
I sprint back and forth on the main grassy area of my university. Lots of people. No one laughed. They just went on doing their thing. No one cares. Maybe someone will think, "that looks like a good workout. Maybe I'll do that some day."

MidnightFlyer

Established Member
Reaction score
I just finished this book, which tells all about it.

http://www.amazon.com/Muscle-Logic-Esca ... 1594860831

It's mainly written for weightlifting, but I use the same techniques for cardio.

I've been doing it for 4 months, and there's nothing like it.
You get stronger because you have to, your body adapts to it.

I do my workouts in conjunction with taking certain amino acids, arginine and ornithine, along with gluatamine and glycine.

Intense excercise releases growth hormone, and with the addition of these amino acids, my body has really undergone quite a change.

barcafan

Reaction score
MidnightFlyer said:

It's mainly written for weightlifting, but I use the same techniques for cardio.

I do my workouts in conjunction with taking certain amino acids, arginine and ornithine, along with gluatamine and glycine.

Intense excercise releases growth hormone, and with the addition of these amino acids, my body has really undergone quite a change.

Um do squats not sprints if you want to release Significant GH

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
barcafan said:
MidnightFlyer said:

Better yet, do step-ups for pretty much the same reason. Squatsx2.

MidnightFlyer

Established Member
Reaction score
joseph49853 said:
barcafan said:
MidnightFlyer said:

Why do squats or step-ups release more GH than any other form of intense excercise?
From what I've read, any intense excercise, done for short periods, will release GH.
Is there something about using the leg muscles that affect the release of GH more effectively than other muscles?

barcafan

Reaction score
joseph49853 said:
barcafan said:
MidnightFlyer said:

Um..no, im talking about weighted squats, not sissy step-ups.

MidnightFlyer said:
joseph49853 said:
barcafan said:
MidnightFlyer said:

Why do squats or step-ups release more GH than any other form of intense excercise?
From what I've read, any intense excercise, done for short periods, will release GH.
Is there something about using the leg muscles that affect the release of GH more effectively than other muscles?

Your leg muscles are the biggest in your body, and the squat utilizes most of them. Squats are KING.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
barcafan said:
Um..no, im talking about weighted squats, not sissy step-ups.

Have you ever tried weighted step-ups? Or even, how about front squats? I know both can bring many a good lifter to their knees. Give it a try, and you might find yourself having trouble maintaining even 80% of your squatting weight. Both are extremely valid and valuable compound exercises.

If anything the seated leg press is a worthless exercise compared to either the squat and step-up, just based on the amount of stablizers employed. And the amount of stabilizers and synergists are further increased from squat to step-up. This relates to greater gains in both hip and thigh power, with a decrease risk of injury to the lower back and knees. Unlike the squat, you can also greatly change the emphasis between the quads and hamstrings based on the stepping height. In fact, I'll contend we do a lot more stepping-up in our daily lives than squatting.

Otherwise without variety, most lifters get caught in a rut and never continue making progress. I do 'em all, squats, full squats, front squats, step-ups, one-legged squats, deadlifts, stiff-legged deadlifts, leg extensions, leg curls etc.

CCS

Reaction score
Since the squate uses so much upper body, does that mean we should not do it the day after an upper body workout?

barcafan

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
Since the squate uses so much upper body, does that mean we should not do it the day after an upper body workout?

No because you are wrong. Squats use practically no upper body strength..... I dont know what exercise you're referring to.