Any Oils That Actually Seem To Help Thicken Thinner Hair?

Chap1

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have Coconut oil and olive oil and was wondering if any of the two would help thicken thinning hair ann maybe even stop thinning if applied regularly. Will any of the two I currently have help? What are some other good ones you have seen success with?

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have Coconut oil and olive oil and was wondering if any of the two would help thicken thinning hair ann maybe even stop thinning if applied regularly. Will any of the two I currently have help? What are some other good ones you have seen success with?

All we have in this area are anecdotes.

There are studies supporting the use of pumpkin seed oil and rice bran oil (google it), but this is not a trustworthy industry.

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score
Castor oil is meant to be good for that.

Add rosemary oil too

Rosemary oil is very well studied. It seems to have a similar affect to 2.5% minoxidil and also seems to have some anti-androgenetic qualities. Castor oil is popular on forums but have there been any clinical studies?

@Afro_Vacancy can you post the pumpkin seed study(s) here?

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Rosemary oil is very well studied. It seems to have a similar affect to 2.5% minoxidil and also seems to have some anti-androgenetic qualities. Castor oil is popular on forums but have there been any clinical studies?

@Afro_Vacancy can you post the pumpkin seed study(s) here?

Castor oil is said to accelerate PGE2, and shows up in a million online anecdotes to make eyebrows and eyelashes grow, which means nothing. You could probably test it by applying it on your arm for three months, to see if one arm is hairier than the other.

Rosemary oil, etc is not that well studied as far as I know. Oregano oil is believed to be a good anti-fungal.

Here's a study on pumpkin seed oil and alopecia:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4017725/

I'm skeptical of all of these claims, for all the oils.

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score
Castor oil is said to accelerate PGE2, and shows up in a million online anecdotes to make eyebrows and eyelashes grow, which means nothing. You could probably test it by applying it on your arm for three months, to see if one arm is hairier than the other.

Rosemary oil, etc is not that well studied as far as I know. Oregano oil is believed to be a good anti-fungal.

Here's a study on pumpkin seed oil and alopecia:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4017725/

I'm skeptical of all of these claims, for all the oils.

Oregano oil is anti-everything lol but it's quite inflammatory to skin, I wouldn't want to use it on my hair unless there were some serious research to back it up.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
The main study on Rosemary oil was quite compelling to the effect that it's as useful as 2% minoxidil. My derma recommended it to me.

https://issuu.com/pulsemarketing/docs/skinmed_v13_i1?viewMode=doublePage

There are dozens of studies that cure hair loss. Not a lot of examples of them working though, off the top of my head:

Rosemary oil
Pumpkin seed oil
Rice Bran oil
Bee venom
laser comb
nuHair supplement
laminaria japonica + cistanche tubulosa

Good luck lol.

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score
There are dozens of studies that cure hair loss. Not a lot of examples of them working though, off the top of my head:

Rosemary oil
Pumpkin seed oil
Rice Bran oil
Bee venom
laser comb
nuHair supplement
laminaria japonica + cistanche tubulosa

Good luck lol.

Well I think the issue is considering any one of them a cure. One analysis of the rosemary study said the biggest takeaway is actually how weak 2% Minoxidil is LMAO. Darulotomide looks promising as a miracle cure but until it's a bot better tested I think we need to make do with a large variety of treatments.