Any martial arts/combat sports folk here?

NickUK01

Reaction score
So thought I would see if there is anyone that does any martial arts or combat sports? I myself do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, have done it for 6-7 years now, started off doing a little MMA but moved over to pure grappling soon after. Anyone else do anything similar?

Captain Hook

Established Member
Reaction score
I did taekwondo from grade 1 to grade 6, leaving the sport as a red belt (decided not to continue when I moved to HK). In 2014 I spent a few weeks doing some Systema (the martial art used by Spetsnaz GRU, Russian Special Forces) but having since been busy with university I haven't had time to continue.

I'd very much like to do Systema regularly once I have more free time, I find it much more applicable to real life fighting scenarios (making use of the body's natural biomechanics, knife training, weapon disarming techniques and exploiting the body's areas of weakness) as opposed to taekwondo's style of fighting which is centred around a structured style, competition and scoring points in arenas rather than street fighting techniques.

It's funny, we actually spent a whole lesson on the ground being taught how to counter opponents with BJJ experience.

br1

Reaction score
So thought I would see if there is anyone that does any martial arts or combat sports? I myself do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, have done it for 6-7 years now, started off doing a little MMA but moved over to pure grappling soon after. Anyone else do anything similar?

I do BJJ too. ;-)

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wrestled a couple years in high school, did muay thai and bjj for about 1.5 years each...still hit mitts and roll from time to time. Also did a lil of the Army's bull**** MACP, which is basically a terrible version of jiu jitsu. Looking to join a boxing gym real soon when I get out of the military in a few months and move back to my hometown...want to work on my hands and footwork/head movement.

Thespain

Established Member
Reaction score
I took shotokan karate from age 5 to about 16, got to second kyu then quit to focus on football and school. I've been thinking about going back as it wouldn't take me that long to get back to second kyu, maybe 2-3 years, but I don't know.