Any Luck With Low Level Laser Therapy Here?

VJ6

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys,

The women's forum does not have enough activity on this topic. Are there people here who have had positive results from Low Level Laser Therapy? I'm on the verge of giving up on it, just thought i'd check in before.

Thanks!

Thomas Aquarius

My Regimen
Reaction score
How long have you been using it? What method are you using? Do you have a laser comb or are you going for treatments?

VJ6

My Regimen
Reaction score
How long have you been using it? What method are you using? Do you have a laser comb or are you going for treatments?

About 5 months in March. I use the lasercap at home, 30 mins x 3 times a week. I know its not enough time to see results and I did not have such expectations when I started. The problem is increased shedding of small hairs which has not at all subsided since I started using it. some Telogen Effluvium is expected with these treatments which should go away on its own per the doctor, but I have had a bunch of other scalp issues since I started using it in addition to the shedding which continues till date. I had a healthy scalp and no excess/abnormal shedding before. Not seeing improvement from baseline is different from seeing continuous unexplained side effects.

Thomas Aquarius

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow, that is a bit surprising. The laser, at least in theory, should improve the scalp condition instead of worsen it.

Have you made any other changes since starting treatment? I have no experience with the lasercap, but I have used the laser comb for many years and it has certainly not worsened my condition. You may want to try treating your scalp with something during this time to see if it is helpful. I put coconut oil on my hair and scalp 2-3 times per week, and also apple cider vinegar a couple of times. My scalp has never been in better condition. If nothing improves over the next few weeks, obviously you'll have to think seriously of discontinuing the lasercap.

VJ6

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow, that is a bit surprising. The laser, at least in theory, should improve the scalp condition instead of worsen it.

Have you made any other changes since starting treatment? I have no experience with the lasercap, but I have used the laser comb for many years and it has certainly not worsened my condition. You may want to try treating your scalp with something during this time to see if it is helpful. I put coconut oil on my hair and scalp 2-3 times per week, and also apple cider vinegar a couple of times. My scalp has never been in better condition. If nothing improves over the next few weeks, obviously you'll have to think seriously of discontinuing the lasercap.

Can't tell you how many things I've thought about and tried. I've tried reducing laser exposure, changed shampoos, use distilled water to rinse my hair. I've continuously researched about this and even reached out Over Macho Grande (he has a whole blog about laser caps). My diet is the same, may be better trying to eat iron/protein rich foods. same supplement regimen, although my work out routine and general mental health have been extremely messed up because of this BS. I do use apple cider vinegar, can't say it has done much. I stay away from oils, especially coconut oil because it induces a shed when I massage my scalp with it. May be its normal, but it freaks me out. My scalp is anyway oily so I really don't need any oil massage.
The frustrating part is even if the lasercap is actually doing something positive to my hair, there's no guarantee the hair i've lost is all going to come back and i'm going to see gains over what I already have. And I don't know if the 'tiny' hairs i'm losing are miniaturized hairs or baby hairs. If its the latter (no way to know), I don't want to keep doing this. The doctor who prescribed me this has been useless, says I have to ride this out but offers no explanation as to why i'm shedding just small hairs. At present, I'm taking a break from laser to see if it improves my condition. I might just stop it and get my money back.

Thomas Aquarius

My Regimen
Reaction score
I can certainly understand your frustration. I am sorry you are dealing with these problems.

What kind of hair loss are you suffering from? Is this a temporary condition? Seems like you have definitely tried lots of options to improve the situation. If you are suffering from a shed, the hairs will definitely regrown. You may have to cut your hair short (if you haven't already done so) in the meantime. Sorry if this isn't helpful...just going with the information I have at the moment.

VJ6

My Regimen
Reaction score
I can certainly understand your frustration. I am sorry you are dealing with these problems.

What kind of hair loss are you suffering from? Is this a temporary condition? Seems like you have definitely tried lots of options to improve the situation. If you are suffering from a shed, the hairs will definitely regrown. You may have to cut your hair short (if you haven't already done so) in the meantime. Sorry if this isn't helpful...just going with the information I have at the moment.

Hey thanks for replying. Appreciate it. I do seem to have FPHL - genetic thinning that has progressed over the years, despite a healthy lifestyle and no excess shedding. I decided to get some medical intervention last summer. Tried high-density platelet rich plasma and added the lasercap. Also taking nutrafol, highly recommended by my doctor. My labs are all normal with ferritin being normal but sub-optimal for hair (i'm a vegetarian but have a balanced diet). So far, i've seen zilch. I was very hopeful about PRP and the lasercap. I did do rogaine for 2 weeks, that sh*t's evil.

Thomas Aquarius

My Regimen
Reaction score
I really think you should stay on this for 9 months to see if the shedding and other irritations cease. I know that is easier said than done when you're the one dealing with the shedding. Perhaps try cutting back on the laser therapy? I have only used my laser comb 2-3 times a week (usually twice) at 10-15 minutes per treatment, and that is while moving it over the scalp. Thirty minutes might be the prescribed time, but that seems longer than what should be needed. I'm no expert, but it's a starting point at least.

Thomas Aquarius

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey thanks for replying. Appreciate it. I do seem to have FPHL - genetic thinning that has progressed over the years, despite a healthy lifestyle and no excess shedding. I decided to get some medical intervention last summer. Tried high-density platelet rich plasma and added the lasercap. Also taking nutrafol, highly recommended by my doctor. My labs are all normal with ferritin being normal but sub-optimal for hair (i'm a vegetarian but have a balanced diet). So far, i've seen zilch. I was very hopeful about PRP and the lasercap. I did do rogaine for 2 weeks, that sh*t's evil.

Have you tried copper peptides? I know every person and therefor head/scalp is different, and we will have to tailor any regimen to fit our needs. I am mostly a vegetarian myself (except fish oil and fish occasionally). I'm sure you get enough healthy fats in your diet via nuts, seeds, avocado, healthy oils, etc.. - it seems like you are quite health conscious.

Also, did minoxidil cause scalp irritation? What caused you to drop it so quickly?

VJ6

My Regimen
Reaction score
I really think you should stay on this for 9 months to see if the shedding and other irritations cease. I know that is easier said than done when you're the one dealing with the shedding. Perhaps try cutting back on the laser therapy? I have only used my laser comb 2-3 times a week (usually twice) at 10-15 minutes per treatment, and that is while moving it over the scalp. Thirty minutes might be the prescribed time, but that seems longer than what should be needed. I'm no expert, but it's a starting point at least.

I did bring my laser time down 15 mins, twice a week before taking a break. I don't know, there are a 1000 combinations I could try but I want to see what happens to my scalp when I completely stop it. And even when I started it, I started with 15 mins and increased to 30 to ease my hair into it. And now im at the point where I can at least get some money back, lol

VJ6

My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you tried copper peptides? I know every person and therefor head/scalp is different, and we will have to tailor any regimen to fit our needs. I am mostly a vegetarian myself (except fish oil and fish occasionally). I'm sure you get enough healthy fats in your diet via nuts, seeds, avocado, healthy oils, etc.. - it seems like you are quite health conscious.

Also, did minoxidil cause scalp irritation? What caused you to drop it so quickly?
No, I don't know what Cu peptides are. I try to not overdo medications although i've been prescribed a bunch of pills (omega 3 FA, stress reducing, probiotics) at the hair mineral analysis test that Nutrafol offers.

Stopped Minoxidil because of the shed. I know its too early to stop but I just hated using it. That's something i'll never go back to. And that's the reason I opted for lasercap. Convenience and didn't seem to have nasty reputation that rogaine does.

Thomas Aquarius

My Regimen
Reaction score
There are minoxidil solutions you could use that should work pretty well for you, assuming you don't get the scalp irritation. Using it isn't all that difficult once you get the hang of it, and you probably only have to use it once per day. You can find solutions without propylene glycol which should reduce your irritation.

Copper peptides can be easily applied as well. Might be worth a shot. I can give you more information if you're interested on any of these options. All of it depends on how motivated you are and what you value in life...just like the rest of us :)

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Apparently female pattern hairloss is harder to treat. I don’t think topical minoxidil is good at all, I think it’s one of the worst hair loss treatments. Would you try oral minoxidil? Another female on this website uses that. You could try anti-androgens and see how you get with those. Although, I do think you should visit an endocrinologist just to check if your hormone levels are alright...

VJ6

My Regimen
Reaction score
Apparently female pattern hairloss is harder to treat. I don’t think topical minoxidil is good at all, I think it’s one of the worst hair loss treatments. Would you try oral minoxidil? Another female on this website uses that. You could try anti-androgens and see how you get with those. Although, I do think you should visit an endocrinologist just to check if your hormone levels are alright...
I have had some hormone levels tested and they are normal. Of course its not the whole gamut but whatever the dcotor asked for. Doctor recommended spironolactone but my PCP advised against it as my BP is already on the lower side. spironolactone is an anti-androgen but really used to cure high BP.

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have had some hormone levels tested and they are normal. Of course its not the whole gamut but whatever the dcotor asked for. Doctor recommended spironolactone but my PCP advised against it as my BP is already on the lower side. spironolactone is an anti-androgen but really used to cure high BP.

There’s another girl on this website suffering with hairloss called Georgie, you should PM her for advice.