Any Ladies Taken finasteride Or dutasteride Or Used Topical Ru?

Millie

My Regimen
Reaction score
The side effects are easing off. I also have had headaches that isn't as bad. No dry eyes or cold like symptoms. My stomach isn't as painful either. To me it is worth my trying. I was told that 1 mg wasn't enough for women. Rogaine has done nothing, I still use it but this makes your hair so gross. Taken biotin as well again nothing.
Yes, 1mg of Fina is not enough. So if I'm feeling bad at that dose, no way I could tolerate it higher. I do use Minoxidil 2% with no itch.

Ceecee156

My Regimen
Reaction score
finasteride has a very short half life, like six hours. So it will be out of your system 2 days max. (Unlike dutasteride which can linger for weeks). I do not think you need to taper. Just stop taking it.

But listen, it is crazy to take finasteride or spironolactone without knowing if you serum levels of androgen are raised. Because both meds that is what they do, lower the impact of elevated androgens. By different mechanisms. spironolactone messed with electrolytes. It it's a potassium sparing diuretic drug. Google spironolactone and anxiety.

You said you have predisposition to depression and anxiety. Are you on an SSRI? Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, etc??? They are known for causing hair loss and insulin resistance too.

So yes, it can sound crazy at first to put someone on an anti-androgen without first testing their androgen levels… However, it is also possible for a female to become hypersensitive at a cellular level to androgens even though her androgen levels test fine. I unfortunately know because I am one of those females.

Oh, and It is generally agreed that females don’t respond to the 1 mg dose of finasteride. Small studies have been done looking at 5 mg and a few at 2.5. For some reason women require more in order to have a response. I don’t know why. Still, he prob should and could have started you on the 2.5

Cindy

My Regimen
Reaction score
So yes, it can sound crazy at first to put someone on an anti-androgen without first testing their androgen levels… However, it is also possible for a female to become hypersensitive at a cellular level to androgens even though her androgen levels test fine. I unfortunately know because I am one of those females.

Oh, and It is generally agreed that females don’t respond to the 1 mg dose of finasteride. Small studies have been done looking at 5 mg and a few at 2.5. For some reason women require more in order to have a response. I don’t know why. Still, he prob should and could have started you on the 2.5

I started trying 1mg Finasteride a few weeks ago and it has worked well for me. The results were almost immediate and I noticed less hair loss the next day. If I could get my hands on the 5mg I would probably split the pill and take half every day. Haven’t noticed any side effects like what other people mentioned but now I know I’m subconsciously going to feel like I have dry eyes due to someone else mentioning it =/

Zoe123

My Regimen
Reaction score
I saw a top hair derm in NYC, Dr. Shapiro. He also has clinic in Canada. He is outside insurance and expensive. Like $800. But he was super nice and spent an hour. He prescribed finasteride, 2.5 mg once a day, and said 5% minoxidil NOT the foam because too much on hair not enough on scalp. He said make 5 parts front to back. One center, then two on each side of center about 1". He said 5 drops spaced front to back on each part line and rub in. He ran serum ferritin test. He mentioned Selenium. and we talked about Topamax which I take for migraine as being possible contributing factor. If you have elevated DHEA(S) you can try taking micronized reservatrol, 1500 mg a day divided doses 3. And also sodium or cal/mag butyrate. He also said many of his patients with only adrenal androgen excess take prednisone low dose and endocrinologist at NYU prescribes all the time.

He prescribed dutasteride also but only to women over 40, under 40 he will only do finasteride.
Hi Maddy, is finasteride working for you?

Avania

My Regimen
Reaction score
I saw a top hair derm in NYC, Dr. Shapiro. He also has clinic in Canada. He is outside insurance and expensive. Like $800. But he was super nice and spent an hour. He prescribed finasteride, 2.5 mg once a day, and said 5% minoxidil NOT the foam because too much on hair not enough on scalp. He said make 5 parts front to back. One center, then two on each side of center about 1". He said 5 drops spaced front to back on each part line and rub in. He ran serum ferritin test. He mentioned Selenium. and we talked about Topamax which I take for migraine as being possible contributing factor. If you have elevated DHEA(S) you can try taking micronized reservatrol, 1500 mg a day divided doses 3. And also sodium or cal/mag butyrate. He also said many of his patients with only adrenal androgen excess take prednisone low dose and endocrinologist at NYU prescribes all the time.

He prescribed dutasteride also but only to women over 40, under 40 he will only do finasteride.

Is there a reason why he only prescribes finasteride to women under 40? I'm curious, because I've read research stating that younger premenopausal women possibly respond better to dutasteride.