any incident reported on birth defect due to touching finasteride?

thylax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hello,

have you ever heard of any incident (anywhere) concerning a birth defect due to a pregnant woman touching finasteride? Millions of people use finasteride for years and many of them break the tablets of proscar. I want to know the probability of such a birth defect.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen estimates written by doctors that even for a pregnant woman to SWALLOW a finasteride pill one single time (much less simply touching one) probably wouldn't be particularly harmful. It's obviously not something that a pregnant woman should do on a regular basis, though.

thylax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well I haven't seen any reported incident and we shall not forget that for many years millions of men use this drug on a regular basis, many (if not most) of them by breaking pills of proscar. I am asking since I use it for almost one year now (my drugstore gives me pills -generic finasteride that they create from proscar) and I am taking every care even to swallow the pills asap! However, statistically if this warning was true there should be, unfortunately, reported incidents which does not seem to happen, from a quick search in internet

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think it's mostly just a "Cover-Your-***" thing by the FDA. Unless a pregnant woman really abuses the drug by swallowing more than one whole finasteride tablet, or breaking a bunch of Proscar tablets into a fine powder and spreading it around the floor and then rolling all around on top of it, she's probably not going to have much of a problem.

I think such a woman should use some reasonable caution around finasteride tablets, but I don't think she should go into a panic if she just happens to touch a broken pill, by accident.

Shma

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
I think it's mostly just a "Cover-Your-***" thing by the FDA. Unless a pregnant woman really abuses the drug by swallowing more than one whole finasteride tablet, or breaking a bunch of Proscar tablets into a fine powder and spreading it around the floor and then rolling all around on top of it, she's probably not going to have much of a problem.

I think such a woman should use some reasonable caution around finasteride tablets, but I don't think she should go into a panic if she just happens to touch a broken pill, by accident.
While talking about this topic...
Do you think that if a man is on finasteride, the drug can harm an "upcoming" embryo in any way ? (And don't try to twist words like you're often trying to do, thank you)

thylax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What is the defect the baby may have? Is it something that can be fixed somehow? e.g. surgery, or will be something worse?

Shma

Established Member
Reaction score
Bump for Bryan?

Shma

Established Member
Reaction score
As always Bryan runs off when the serious questions arrive. :dunno:

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
It's not a serious question. Finasteride is completely gone from the system in 24-48 hours. There's none left. No, it cannot harm the fetus in any way from a man's use.