Any form of vasodilator can only decrease hair loss

Eazy12

Established Member
Reaction score
Substances such as nicotine and caffeine are vasoconstrictors, in other words they narrow blood vessels causing less blood to flow to any particular area of the body. Ever noticed you cant get quite as hard when on a strong stimulant? Ever noticed how horny you get when high on weed? (a vasodilator).
I've noticed I bleed more dermarolling if my caffeine consumption is less. This would also explain why vaping/smoking is bad for hair loss as that too is a vasoconstrictor. If you're a chain smoker or a daily vaper, taper down and quit, it's doing absolutely nothing positive for your body

Something to keep in mind. Reduce caffeine and nicotine intake. Some foods can cause constriction or dilation too as well as medications. Any sort of opioid is a vasoconstrictor such as codeine.
Alcohol is another one. In low volumes it is a dilator, but if you're a chronic drinker it does the reverse, raising your blood pressure in the process.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Substances such as nicotine and caffeine are vasoconstrictors, in other words they narrow blood vessels causing less blood to flow to any particular area of the body. Ever noticed you cant get quite as hard when on a strong stimulant? Ever noticed how horny you get when high on weed? (a vasodilator).
I've noticed I bleed more dermarolling if my caffeine consumption is less. This would also explain why vaping/smoking is bad for hair loss as that too is a vasoconstrictor. If you're a chain smoker or a daily vaper, taper down and quit, it's doing absolutely nothing positive for your body

Something to keep in mind. Reduce caffeine and nicotine intake. Some foods can cause constriction or dilation too as well as medications. Any sort of opioid is a vasoconstrictor such as codeine.
Alcohol is another one. In low volumes it is a dilator, but if you're a chronic drinker it does the reverse, raising your blood pressure in the process.
I disagree about vaping/Juuls. Many people use nicotine as a smart drug and there have been several studies indicating that it might help with ADHD and focus. There is nothing per se bad about nicotine itself apart from the burning plant material which is destructive to the body indeed. For some reason, smoked cannabis seems to lack the sides of smoked tobacco, both health-wise and on teeth. Only anecdotal but I have mainlined Juuls for the last five years or so since entering an HRT program and it appears to have no negative effects hair-wise or facially, the way that tobacco might.

Eazy12

Established Member
Reaction score
I disagree about vaping/Juuls. Many people use nicotine as a smart drug and there have been several studies indicating that it might help with ADHD and focus. There is nothing per se bad about nicotine itself apart from the burning plant material which is destructive to the body indeed. For some reason, smoked cannabis seems to lack the sides of smoked tobacco, both health-wise and on teeth. Only anecdotal but I have mainlined Juuls for the last five years or so since entering an HRT program and it appears to have no negative effects hair-wise or facially, the way that tobacco might.
You can't argue that vaping is healthier for your hair than not vaping.
Vaping in itself is pointless. I mean its great to get you off cigarettes but once you have, there is zero reason to continue vaping. It is a vasoconstrictor and filling your lungs with VG is hardly good for them.
Even if you refuse to believe all that, you can't deny its a pointless waste of money. If you want to believe nicotine can help with ADHD (which doesnt even count as a point unless you have ADHD), then have nicotine gum. Normal gum is proven to aid focus more than vaping anyways

Redgate

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Vasodilators and vasoconstrictors have nothing to do with Androgenetic Alopecia. Minoxidil, which is a vasodilator, helps with hair growth by upregulating some growth factors or some other mechanism, not by increasing blood flow. Heat also causes vasodilation, do hot showers and saunas help with hair loss? No. And if blood flow was the issue, transplanted hair would fall off.
You should quit smoking because it's unhealthy, but that's respiratory health. However quitting won't fix your A.G.A, targeting the mechanisms that cause it will.

Also not new research, studies or technologies.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
You can't argue that vaping is healthier for your hair than not vaping.
Vaping in itself is pointless. I mean its great to get you off cigarettes but once you have, there is zero reason to continue vaping. It is a vasoconstrictor and filling your lungs with VG is hardly good for them.
Even if you refuse to believe all that, you can't deny its a pointless waste of money. If you want to believe nicotine can help with ADHD (which doesnt even count as a point unless you have ADHD), then have nicotine gum. Normal gum is proven to aid focus more than vaping anyways
Well nicotine gum is also pretty expensive and I find chewing gum to be off-putting. My father is constantly smacking away on nicotine gum. I never was a smoker of cigarettes, just pipes and cigars in the evening so it had nothing to do with that. Everyone in re-hab either smokes or vapes and you basically pick one because otherwise you miss all the fun banter with fellow drug addicts, except I was there for weed, which was ridiculous. Using anything is probably bad for the body to some extent except for weed but vaping nicotine and weed have very few deleterious effects aside from vocal effects.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Vasodilators and vasoconstrictors have nothing to do with Androgenetic Alopecia. Minoxidil, which is a vasodilator, helps with hair growth by upregulating some growth factors or some other mechanism, not by increasing blood flow. Heat also causes vasodilation, do hot showers and saunas help with hair loss? No. And if blood flow was the issue, transplanted hair would fall off.
You should quit smoking because it's unhealthy, but that's respiratory health. However quitting won't fix your A.G.A, targeting the mechanisms that cause it will.

That's pretty much true since minoxidil might work primarily due to effects on anagen length which it presumably lengthens. Oral min, though seems to actually increase hair counts as well. Synchronization towards longer phases of anagen for all scalp hair is likely to be perceived as "regrowth" even if hair counts don't improve. The scalp hair might still increase in volume and smoothness and sheen and of course, have an ability to grow long without the "mullet" effect which is very common among males even with full heads of hair.

Recent hair regrowth studies are sort of spooky because vasodilation seems to only matter once a dormant follicle is "turned back on". Just increasing blood flow independently seems not to awaken dormant follicles. In a certain sense, follicles just turn themselves off for those destined to male pattern baldness for reasons that are not fully understood. Once follicles are asleep only estrogen and mechanical treatments seem to work.

Eazy12

Established Member
Reaction score

You dont know if hot showers and saunas help with hair loss since there are no studies on it, but you don't seem to get it. Hot showers make little difference since the body regulates its internal temperature. A hot shower doesnt give you a fever does it? Vasodilators and constrictors work regardless of outside temperature. Transplanted hair will fall out without DHT blockers. Just look at Wayne Rooney. More blood to the scalp can never be a bad thing, blood carries nutrients, repairs cells and removes damaged cells, restricting it is like clogging the oil passageways in a car. Vasoconstrictors such as smoking and opioids do have PROVEN studies to show they have a negative affect on hair . They are not the cause of male pattern baldness, but they make it worse. Make your body as healthy as it can be by eating and drinking natural foods and dont subject it to chemicals it has no use for. It's no wonder male pattern baldness has become so much more widespread compared to 50 years ago.

Last edited:

Eazy12

Established Member
Reaction score
To put it in more simple terms:

You have 2 identical twins. Both have male pattern baldness, both on the exact same meds (finasteride and minoxidil).
One exercises regularly, doesn't smoke, rarely drinks, eats a good balanced diet with fresh ingredients.
The other smokes heavily, drinks a lot, is on a host of pain meds, highly stressed and eats junk.

Who's male pattern baldness do you think is accelerating more?

czecha

My Regimen
Reaction score
To put it in more simple terms:

You have 2 identical twins. Both have male pattern baldness, both on the exact same meds (finasteride and minoxidil).
One exercises regularly, doesn't smoke, rarely drinks, eats a good balanced diet with fresh ingredients.
The other smokes heavily, drinks a lot, is on a host of pain meds, highly stressed and eats junk.

Who's male pattern baldness do you think is accelerating more?
Unironically the first guys

drinking good for bloodflow and high e
Junkfood full of pufa which inhibits 5ar

Vinc2097

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am willing to give up alcool, junky foods, smoking,etc but COFFE : i just cant :(

i cant wake up without a cup of coffee lol

MarshJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
Going on this logic, wouldn't niacin(flush) , beetroot powder (nitrites), L-Citrulline (nitric oxide release more so than L-Argnine) be the way to go about it?
I do tend to drink alot of energy drinks myself. 3 times a week maybe.
Perhaps I should stop drinking them for 3 months and document any effect it has on my hair?

polishkickbuttowski

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Going on this logic, wouldn't niacin(flush) , beetroot powder (nitrites), L-Citrulline (nitric oxide release more so than L-Argnine) be the way to go about it?
Perhaps I should stop drinking them for 3 months and document any effect it has on my hair?
It won't do anything. Get on a real protocol or watch your hair go

MarshJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes but in line with the subject of the thread...
I am thinking of going on low dose finasteride tbh

Eazy12

Established Member
Reaction score
Worth doing anyway. Even if no observable impact on your hair it will allow your body to better regulate energy levels without outside stimulants.