Any Experience With Very Low Dose Oral Minoxidil (less Than 5 Mg)

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I added 5 mg oral minoxidil to my regimen 6 weeks ago and just very recently noticed a huge improvement in hair thickness AND some regrowth along the hairline. I was thrilled, considering I have had nothing but loss and recession for 9 straight months.

Unfortunately, I started getting heart palpitations and edema right around the time I noticed regrowth :( :(. I'm going to take a few days off, supplement with topical minoxidil in the meantime (which never really worked for me in the past), then restart at a lower dose.

Has anyone had success with very low doses of oral minoxidil?
Has anyone supplemented their oral minoxidil with topical minoxidil?

Warmer82

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Try 2.5mg in morning a 2.5mg at night.
Or reduce to 1.25mg/1.25mg.

I take just 1.25mg each morning but im on other treatments as well.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been on 10mg oral minoxidil at night, seen slight improvement on diffuse thinning on top of my my head but my crown is still in bad shape, i added topical minoxidil to my crown also at night about a month ago, hoping to see some progress. Because of it's short half-life(4 hours) compared to topical which is 22 hours i believe i don't know if splitting the 10mg and taking 5mg in the morning and 5mg at night would produce better results. I have had no side effects from oral minoxidil.

Last edited:

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Try 2.5mg in morning a 2.5mg at night.
Or reduce to 1.25mg/1.25mg.

I take just 1.25mg each morning but im on other treatments as well.
I've switched to 1.25 mg oral in AM and topical at night. Bad palpitations again today:( This stuff works so well from me so I hope I can tinker around and find a dosing regimen that I can tolerate.

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been on 10mg oral minoxidil at night, seen slight improvement on diffuse thinning on top of my my head but my crown is still in bad shape, i added topical minoxidil to my crown also at night about a month ago, hoping to see some progress. Because of it's short half-life(4 hours) compared to topical which is 22 hours i believe i don't know if splitting the 10mg and taking 5mg in the morning and 5mg at night would produce better results. I have had no side effects from oral minoxidil.
Once a day is fine although I don't think anyone knows which approach is truly best. You're correct about half life but the other variable to consider is the biological effect, which way outlasts the half-life. This is common for many drugs, including minoxidil.

Warmer82

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've switched to 1.25 mg oral in AM and topical at night. Bad palpitations again today:( This stuff works so well from me so I hope I can tinker around and find a dosing regimen that I can tolerate.

Try taurine for a week then get bk on oral minoxidil

During taurine treatment, the study participants showed highly significant improvement in breathlessness, heart palpitations, fluid buildup, and heart x-ray, as well as standard scales of heart failure severity.

Warmer82

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Extreme High doses of curcumin could cause heart palpitations especially with minoxidil. You say you had palpitations later on, would this be at same time you added curcumin

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Orchiectomy also works so well for many, but it is by no way an acceptable approach for treating alopecia due to its devasting side effects!
There is alwayse a cost & benefit ratio.
oral minoxidil is not a safe drug, even at very low dosages, esp in the long-term.
Forget those conflicting studies that say even 5 mg of topical goes systemic, so you can take it orally instead!!
It becomes obvious for yourself now that you did not have such these issues with topical, but you have now with oral.
If 2.5-5 mg of topical goes systemic, so how its possible that you did't experience that much of palpitaion with it, but 1.25 mg oral gives you palpitaion??!
Please go and see a cardiologist ASAP!
I'm worried about you buddy:(
I agree with what you say. Some things are just proposterous even though effective. I’ve thought about the topical / systemic dilemma and it really doesn’t seem to fit for me. Topical just doesn’t get through in my case. I’ve got appt w cardiologist today, so hoping all checks out. I’ll also ask him if taking a micro dose of a diuretic would be advisable.

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Extreme High doses of curcumin could cause heart palpitations especially with minoxidil. You say you had palpitations later on, would this be at same time you added curcumin
About a month after starting curcumin. I got pretty into the idea of reducing androgen sensitivity via cur and ramped up my dose.

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Orchiectomy also works so well for many, but it is by no way an acceptable approach for treating alopecia due to its devasting side effects!
There is alwayse a cost & benefit ratio.
oral minoxidil is not a safe drug, even at very low dosages, esp in the long-term.
Forget those conflicting studies that say even 5 mg of topical goes systemic, so you can take it orally instead!!
It becomes obvious for yourself now that you did not have such these issues with topical, but you have now with oral.
If 2.5-5 mg of topical goes systemic, so how its possible that you did't experience that much of palpitaion with it, but 1.25 mg oral gives you palpitaion??!
Please go and see a cardiologist ASAP!
I'm worried about you buddy:(
Yea, going to the gym yesterday was a little scary, but all good. Appreciate your concern, thank you

SteveTabernack

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree with what you say. Some things are just proposterous even though effective. I’ve thought about the topical / systemic dilemma and it really doesn’t seem to fit for me. Topical just doesn’t get through in my case. I’ve got appt w cardiologist today, so hoping all checks out. I’ll also ask him if taking a micro dose of a diuretic would be advisable.

Interested to hear what your cardiologist has to say.

I also just recently started oral minoxidil (about 2 weeks in) as I was out of options really. Side effects aren't too bad yet except an aesthetic one as I believe it's causing dark circles under my eyes.

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I also just recently started oral minoxidil (about 2 weeks in) as I was out of options really. Side effects aren't too bad yet except an aesthetic one as I believe it's causing dark circles under my eyes.
What dose?

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

EKG, BP, and pulse were totally fine. Cardiologist is very familiar with oral minoxidil and IS NOT at all concerned about doses < 10 mg. He indicated that palpitations were more of an annoyance. He prescribed a very weak diuretic to take AS NEEDED, so see if that not only helps with palpitations but also those damn dark circles. I believe the eye circles are more related to water rather than collagen since they happen immediately. Damn, having hair is a lot of f*****g work.

SteveTabernack

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
EKG, BP, and pulse were totally fine. Cardiologist is very familiar with oral minoxidil and IS NOT at all concerned about doses < 10 mg. He indicated that palpitations were more of an annoyance. He prescribed a very weak diuretic to take AS NEEDED, so see if that not only helps with palpitations but also those damn dark circles. I believe the eye circles are more related to water rather than collagen since they happen immediately. Damn, having hair is a lot of f*****g work.

Interesting, thanks for reporting back.

Sounds like I should try some sort of diuretic then, I do also notice swelling in the hands after taking the minoxidil in the morning. Which diuretic did he prescribe you? I probably wouldn't be able to get a prescription one myself but still curious.

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting, thanks for reporting back.

Sounds like I should try some sort of diuretic then, I do also notice swelling in the hands after taking the minoxidil in the morning. Which diuretic did he prescribe you? I probably wouldn't be able to get a prescription one myself but still curious.
Hydrochlorothiazide: tried and true that's been around for years.

Night

Established Member
Reaction score
Been doing some research into oral min, noticed your one of the few to report sides from a low dose. How does the dark eyes look? I just wanna see what to look out for if I take it.

Do the pills have a experation date? Checked adc and they don't list ex dates.

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Been doing some research into oral min, noticed your one of the few to report sides from a low dose. How does the dark eyes look? I just wanna see what to look out for if I take it.

Circles are definitely annoying, but those new baby hairs on hairline keep me going. Frontal and temples are hardest place to regrow, so this sh*t is magical. Hopefully micro dose of diuretic helps with eye circles.

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I don’t use overseas pills as I need to know what I’m using is authentic: I drink Rogaine Anxiousandy style

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

What’s tempting you to take it? I recall you had good results from finasteride/dutasteride?

I’m in same boat. This stuff looks like magic if it works.

I see it’s being used more in U.S and oz in small doses.

Dr Davin Lim has a video on yt about it.

Dr Donovan speaks about it too.

Just seems to be a case of whether you can handle the sides or not.