ANY documented case of finasteride/minoxidil exacerbating male pattern baldness???

G

We see new threads every day where people continue to claim that the use of finasteride, minoxidil, etc. has caused their hair loss to worsen. Now outside of the fact that we know minoxidil (and possibly finasteride?) can cause a shed by shortening the telogen phase, or by sync'ing hair cycles, is there any clinically documented case where finasteride and minoxidil exacerbated Male Pattern Baldness??

I believe there were a small % of those whose hair had regressed during trials (from the chart at propecia's site) but this could also mean that their body simply rejected the pharmaceutical and it had no effect on them just allowing the natural progressing of male pattern baldness.

I am just curious if it's been tested, and proven, possible that either of these two medications could actually worsen the effects of male pattern baldness. If not, than I guess it's simply the shed, and/or their mind, that makes people think this is the case.

FlashDance

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it made things worse, but I definitly NOTICED losing a LOT of hairs after starting Propecia. My hair looks a lot thinner (and feels) a lot thinner now.

This could be because of a few reasons: 1) I now notice my hairloss when before I never thought about it once or 2) Like a lot of hormonal changes in your body, when you take Propecia, it causes such a hormonal change that it causes a slight telogen effluvium.

In the later case, then perhaps those hairs on the hair line that are subsequently shed and lost for good may have already been at the point of no return. And while you did accelerate the loss of those hairs, it is only by a few months at most. I would hope that the other follicles that are not past this point are helped by Propecia.

Not sure if this has any validity, but this could be a reason why Propecia seems to make it worse.

G

umdace,

We have plenty of anecdotal accounts around here of this stuff happening, but nothing documented in any of the studies.

SkylineGTR

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i used the dutasteride/minoxidil combo and my hair got considerably worse right out of the gate.... documented in my January pictures.

But It bounced back and my hair is considerably better.

The only thing i see is people crying about the shed phases but it not actually making the male pattern baldness worse overall. Maybe the frontal thinning cases but thats about it.

frontal

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Good topic.

So, should we use finasteride or not?

Also, from you guys who'd tried it...how long did the finasteride shows results?
I mean after the shedding thing till success.

FlashDance

Established Member
Reaction score
I NOTICED shedding almost immediately after starting Propecia. However, it may be that I just started paying more attention. I do notice a LOT more hairs on the counter in my bathroom now, which I know is not in my head. But, looking at some old photos, I can see my hair was already pretty thin. So, I am definitly sticking with 1 mg Propecia for the long haul. Looking at starting to take some MSM? Just started reading up on it, and it seems beneficial if not for your hair, then your skin and nails.

frontal

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
umdace said:
I NOTICED shedding almost immediately after starting Propecia. However, it may be that I just started paying more attention. I do notice a LOT more hairs on the counter in my bathroom now, which I know is not in my head. But, looking at some old photos, I can see my hair was already pretty thin. So, I am definitly sticking with 1 mg Propecia for the long haul. Looking at starting to take some MSM? Just started reading up on it, and it seems beneficial if not for your hair, then your skin and nails.

Wah...so rich.
Proscar and Finpecia more economic.
Why didn't you try it?