Any Do-it Yourselfers?

Sasquatch

Reaction score
I've read for a while but this is my first post. So, Howdy!

First, thanks to everyone here who has contributed to the very helpful knowledge base here.

So here is my unusual question. Has anyone done their own cut-in? I have my first prosthetic scalp covering on order and I want to cut it in myself.

I have cut my own hair for twenty years and I know what I am doing as far as that goes. I have always been able to figure things out and do it myself. If I can cut my own hair, what would be so hard about doing a cut-in myself?

Can anyone tell me if this is just a challenge or a disaster waiting to happen? Any tips on various aspects of doing this yourself? Thanks in advance!

Boondock

Reaction score
In principle, it should be no more difficult than cutting your own hair. The only change will be that, since it isn't, you may not be able to apply the particular tricks you've been doing on your own barnet this time.

The easiest way to do it will be to use a vacuum device like a robocutter. Scissors work too, but getting consistency will be tough. Clippers will probably go too short.

Sasquatch

Reaction score
Thanks Boondock. If I understand your point, cutting the length in a consistent manner is the challenge. But I have ways to do that now. I use clippers with with length-attachments to trim the sides at a particular length, which is quite short. For the top and front I use scissors and trim the hair that stands 1/2" higher than the thickness of my fingers (if that makes sense).

From what I understand, these are my challenges:

1 - Blending/feathering the top piece into the sides: Since the length of my hair is short I am concerned that there will not be enough length to ensure blending the piece with my sides for a good color match. Will I have to wear it longer to allow for a feathering into my own hair color? I really want to keep my hair short.

2 - Shaving the right size area on my head: How do I make the shape of the base fit perfectly? I have to shave the top of my head so the base's "foot-print" aligns perfectly, hand-in-glove with the bald portion of my head. Do I use a template and somehow mark out the part of my scalp that needs shaved? How much tolerance is there between these two borders? If I shave too much I will have a bald gap between my hair and the piece. If I shave too small of an area, I will be overlapping the piece over my real hair where the two meet...

Boondock

Reaction score
For your specific questions, your probably better off asking at the toplace boards or ba hair apparent. I don't wear myself, so I can't give too much detail.

To maintain a consistent cut, clippers with length attachements work. But the better solution might be one of the vacuum cutters - it's what michigan baldy uses in his videos (youtube the guy).