Any And All Vasodilators That Increase Bloodflow To The Scalp

Norwood Recovery

My Regimen
Reaction score
So let’s hear it, there’s got to be something besides minoxidil that will increase bloodflow to those precious follicles. I’m attacking this hair loss with everything I’ve got except for minoxidil, I’ve heard too many horror stories about permanent facial aging that scare me off that stuff. If there’s one thing I hate more than balding.. it’s bad aged leathery skin before my time. I would rather be slick bald with perfect skin than have a NW0 and a face like Keith Richards.

So what else is there? Anything?

Bklyn_23

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have a related question from anyone who's knowledgeable: is it the vasodilatory effect itself which is responsible for supposed collagen issues (by what mechanism I have no idea), or is it some other chemical component of minoxidil specifically which accounts for decreased collagen synthesis?

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So let’s hear it, there’s got to be something besides minoxidil that will increase bloodflow to those precious follicles. I’m attacking this hair loss with everything I’ve got except for minoxidil, I’ve heard too many horror stories about permanent facial aging that scare me off that stuff. If there’s one thing I hate more than balding.. it’s bad aged leathery skin before my time. I would rather be slick bald with perfect skin than have a NW0 and a face like Keith Richards.

So what else is there? Anything?
Id rather have Keith Richards skin with a full head.
I'm old anyways and love the sun, so the damage has been done. I kind of like that tanned pirate look, rather than pasty white with smooth feminine skin and bald.

Norwood Recovery

My Regimen
Reaction score
Id rather have Keith Richards skin with a full head.
I'm old anyways and love the sun, so the damage has been done. I kind of like that tanned pirate look, rather than pasty white with smooth feminine skin and bald.
Hey more power to you, different strokes for different folks. Everyone is different and has their preferences. I just made 30 and I’ve still got good skin on my side, I’d hate to have thinning hair AND bad skin. I’ve got Indian blood so I’m not pasty white but I see your point.

SuperDPAsteve

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No one knows how exactly minoxidil works, but it’s generally accepted it has to do with vasilodation methinks. Any oral vasilodator is gonna f*** with your BP and heart to some extent. I’m not sure any commercially available topical vasilodators exist, but some guys have reported success with a homemade topical sildenafil concoction

Side note: I’ve noticed a disproportionate amount of Indian dudes on hair loss forums. Is male pattern baldness more prevelant in Indians or are they simply more motivated to beat it?

Norwood Recovery

My Regimen
Reaction score
No one knows how exactly minoxidil works, but it’s generally accepted it has to do with vasilodation methinks. Any oral vasilodator is gonna f*** with your BP and heart to some extent. I’m not sure any commercially available topical vasilodators exist, but some guys have reported success with a homemade topical sildenafil concoction

Side note: I’ve noticed a disproportionate amount of Indian dudes on hair loss forums. Is male pattern baldness more prevelant in Indians or are they simply more motivated to beat it?
I’ll have to look into that sildenafil, thanks bud.

And by Indian, I meant Native American, not East Asian Indian, and only a portion.. still mostly European

layabout

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
minoxidil does nothing to collagen.

please stop trolling. it's 2019 now.

SuperDPAsteve

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oo also I forgot: bimatoprost

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil works to upregulate VEGF via the opening of potassium-adenosine triphosphate channels. It makes your skin looks coarse because it opens your pores and follicles up. It also stimulates production of prostaglandins which are notoriously inhibitory of collagen. Aside from that it upregulates all the growth factors associated with Adipose derived stem cells which include igf, kgf, tgf, scf etc. It’s also been shown to activate WNT b-catenein activity. If you want exactly the same result, you would need to find a potassium ion channel opening drug that works the same way, like Phenytoin although that doesn’t seem to be as potent and has far greater side effects.

Aside from that, you can try to find ways of using adenosine (laser devices, topical products, mesotherapy) to dilate the hair follicle, although I don’t think most of the commercial adenosine products are particularly effective.
Fatty acids like DGLA are proven potassium
Ion channel openers, but weak ones. I’d say they would need to be used in conjunction with other things like prp.
I would say that the best bet is finding a product devliered via scalp mesotherapy or deep wounding which contains VEGF, IGF, KGF, SCF and adenosine at the very least.
The reason why minoxidil works so well is because it literally forces hair follicles to open, then injects them with numerous growth factors. So, adenosine, growth factors, and also something to inhibit DKK1/androgens to add to efficacy.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil works to upregulate VEGF via the opening of potassium-adenosine triphosphate channels. It makes your skin looks coarse because it opens your pores and follicles up. It also stimulates production of prostaglandins which are notoriously inhibitory of collagen. Aside from that it upregulates all the growth factors associated with Adipose derived stem cells which include igf, kgf, tgf, scf etc. It’s also been shown to activate WNT b-catenein activity. If you want exactly the same result, you would need to find a potassium ion channel opening drug that works the same way, like Phenytoin although that doesn’t seem to be as potent and has far greater side effects.

Aside from that, you can try to find ways of using adenosine (laser devices, topical products, mesotherapy) to dilate the hair follicle, although I don’t think most of the commercial adenosine products are particularly effective.
Ion channel openers, but weak ones. I’d say they would need to be used in conjunction with other things like prp.
I would say that the best bet is finding a product devliered via scalp mesotherapy or deep wounding which contains VEGF, IGF, KGF, SCF and adenosine at the very least.
The reason why minoxidil works so well is because it literally forces hair follicles to open, then injects them with numerous growth factors. So, adenosine, growth factors, and also something to inhibit DKK1/androgens to add to efficacy.

Do you have a skin care and supplement regimen to counteract as best possible the effects of minoxidil on your skin? If so could you share it?

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you have a skin care and supplement regimen to counteract as best possible the effects of minoxidil on your skin? If so could you share it?
You can use retin-a and tretinoin for dark circles and collagen supplements for skin texture and elasticity but in my experience, if minoxidil is working, your skin is going to look like sh*t and you can’t do a whole lot about it. That’s the trade off. Only thing I can think to really counteract it is Botox. Legit.

Norwood Recovery

My Regimen
Reaction score
You can use retin-a and tretinoin for dark circles and collagen supplements for skin texture and elasticity but in my experience, if minoxidil is working, your skin is going to look like sh*t and you can’t do a whole lot about it. That’s the trade off. Only thing I can think to really counteract it is Botox. Legit.
First of all, thank you for the lengthy and informative response, really appreciate that!
Now I ask. If you were careful to not get any on your face or forehead, could you avoid these aging side effects or is that not even possible?

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

In your opinion why aren't these effects permanent

bigjimmy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
First of all, thank you for the lengthy and informative response, really appreciate that!
Now I ask. If you were careful to not get any on your face or forehead, could you avoid these aging side effects or is that not even possible?

I had the dark circles under my eyes and Tretinoin has pretty much cleared it up.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score

I already use retin-a on my skin, switched from differin, still got lines under my eyes from what i think is minoxidil though i can't be sure. Not taking collagen supplements though, that is something i will order.

md2002

Established Member
Reaction score
I just started minoxidil, I'll let you know how it goes but I tend to think if you've taken care of your skin your entire life I don't know if minoxidil will give you bad skin. I've been using a face cream for 20 years and when I tell people I'm 45 they can't believe it. Maybe it's just good genes but if you've never taken care of your skin and you start using something that screws up your skin you're probably going to notice it.

It's just my opinion, and maybe people have taken care of their skin and get these side effects but it's only an opinion. Hopefully I wont have any of the skin side effects.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Haha. I was prescribed the oral version by my dermatologist back in 2015. There was no avoiding the skin sides for me.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
In your opinion why aren't these effects permanent
Because once you stop taking minoxidil, your pores shrink back to a normal size and you start producing normal amounts of collagen again.