Anxiety or Oral Minoxidil Side Effects?

starks

Reaction score
Good evening H-L-T,

Three months ago I started a low dose of oral minoxidil (four drops under the tongue of kirkland) and gradually increased the dosage to twelve drops which I believe I've read is around 5mg. Early sides included dark circles around the eyes, watery bags under the eyes, and headaches all of which have subsided considerably. Hypertrichosis began around after a month.

I also have panic disorder and generalized anxiety disorder which results in heart palpitations, panic attacks, and a racing heart - I take venlafaxine for this. My question is at around three months into oral minoxidil I have begun to notice occasional episodes of discomfort in my chest, feeling like my heart is weak and struggling. I am not sure if this is from anxiety or from the oral minoxidil.

Does anyone have any insight into whether this could be the result of the oral minoxidil? Has anyone experienced something similar? Does anyone else have anxiety symptoms and is trying to discern the difference between them and possible oral minoxidil sides?

Thanks for the input,

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Good evening H-L-T,

Three months ago I started a low dose of oral minoxidil (four drops under the tongue of kirkland) and gradually increased the dosage to twelve drops which I believe I've read is around 5mg. Early sides included dark circles around the eyes, watery bags under the eyes, and headaches all of which have subsided considerably. Hypertrichosis began around after a month.

I also have panic disorder and generalized anxiety disorder which results in heart palpitations, panic attacks, and a racing heart - I take venlafaxine for this. My question is at around three months into oral minoxidil I have begun to notice occasional episodes of discomfort in my chest, feeling like my heart is weak and struggling. I am not sure if this is from anxiety or from the oral minoxidil.

Does anyone have any insight into whether this could be the result of the oral minoxidil? Has anyone experienced something similar? Does anyone else have anxiety symptoms and is trying to discern the difference between them and possible oral minoxidil sides?

Thanks for the input,
You can't ask us that! What if you keel over and die? Janey does drink topical so I went from 10 mg to 15mg to 25 mg and then back down to 12.5mg, 6.25 mg and now ~3mg. So far the alien eyes have relented but not the Goddess-darn beard growth or leg hair growth. I also use foam to microneedle and yay, it's MR night they say.

starks

Reaction score
Had a feeling you might be first to respond Janey - always appreciate you. Just wondering if anyone is in the same boat? I suspect a lot of H-L-T members also struggle with anxiety.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
You can't ask us that! What if you keel over and die? Janey does drink topical so I went from 10 mg to 15mg to 25 mg and then back down to 12.5mg, 6.25 mg and now ~3mg. So far the alien eyes have relented but not the Goddess-darn beard growth or leg hair growth. I also use foam to microneedle and yay, it's MR night they say.
I gots lotsa anxiety though and eh, not fun. People who have never had anxiety often have no idea what it is but often it's like depression to the nth degree where I avoid cashing checks or getting the mail out of apprehension so I might be able to help with that but you didn't hear this from me, but most of us just plow through until the sides are too great and I am looking for a soft landing since HRT probably doesn't need oral min at all.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Had a feeling you might be first to respond Janey - always appreciate you. Just wondering if anyone is in the same boat? I suspect a lot of H-L-T members also struggle with anxiety.
Oh yeah. So starting last October, say 20th, I started oral min and I immediately became bloated and went from 135 lbs to 167 lbs in about a month--hey, it was winter and all but being hefty is not for Janey--she's a petite sort of girl. Now I am back down to about 137 lbs after drastically going down to ~3mg just mornings. The alien eyes effects went away and the painful bloating has stopped plus in an E2 environment, 25 mg of oral min. is 100 times what cis-females typically take with also 25mg of spironolactone. Janey used to take 400mg of spironolactone and talk about brain fog and lazy and weak.

But I always have anxiety since my X lit off with the children without saying good-bye. I knew I shouldn't have told her but eh, my hair is worth it so what does that make me? Smart....:)

Thrillowpl

My Regimen
Reaction score
I understand that this thread is from two years ago, but the importance of your concern remains relevant. If you've been experiencing discomfort related to oral minoxidil or anxiety, it's still essential to consult with a healthcare provider for proper guidance and evaluation.
While the specific discussion may have concluded, your well-being is always a priority. Additionally, you can explore resources like https://www.outlookindia.com/outlook-spotlight/best-kratom-vendors-news-236504 for information on holistic approaches and remedies that may be helpful in addressing health concerns, even if the thread is older. Always seek professional medical advice for your specific situation.

Last edited:

castleren

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dealing with both anxiety disorders and experimenting with medication can be a rollercoaster. Anxiety can definitely mess with your heart rate and make you feel like something's off. It's tough to pinpoint exactly what's causing your chest discomfort without talking to a professional. Have you considered bringing this up with your doctor or psychiatrist? They might have some insights or even suggest adjustments to your meds. PTSD, or Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, is another beast altogether. It can bring on similar symptoms like heart palpitations and anxiety attacks, adding another layer to the mix. I'd also recommend checking out restore-mentalhealth.com. They might have some useful resources or articles that could shed light on your situation.

Last edited: