Antibiotiocs may induce/further hairloss!

NYVic20

Established Member
Reaction score
I was just reading this article [/url] http://www.bio.net/bionet/mm/neur-sci/2 ... 58929.html [/url] about the effects of blocking the 5ar enzyme on the the brain when I came across this :"By taking antibiotics, you usually increase your risk for chronic
inflammatory disorders. In this case, killing your gut bacteria leaves
abnormally high levels of free DHT floating around in your blood
stimulating your androgen receptors beyond what your body is used to.
Over a lifetime, this brings out your genetic risk for androgen-driven
disorders like the ones I keep mentioning. Destroying your gut bacteria
with antibiotics probably also increases the risk for allergies, asthma,
arthritis and other inflammatory disorders (see
<http>,
<http>, PMID
15120189) - not to mention it can give you a bad yeast infection like
you see in chronic sinusitis." This wouldn't make a difference if you were taking antibiotics once in a blue moon for an infection, but if you were taking it constantly. This is interesting because I used to take internal antibiotics for my acne twice a day for the past year and it was just a couple of months ago that I noticed my hair shedding like crazy and then was shocked to see it thinning all over. I was expecting hair loss since I have it in the family but I wasn't expecting it this early (I'm almost 20)! :( Its only a hunch but the excess dht may have triggered my male pattern baldness prone genes early on. This should be a warning to all you male pattern baldness prone acne sufferers to avoid taking internal anti biotics on a constant basis.

-cj-

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I personally believe that my genetic balding process was jump started by using Minocycline and Doxycycline for 3 years.

My father has the same hairline/diffuse pattern as me now and he had a full head of hair into his mid 30's.

Felk

Reaction score
I think the same thing - first noticed hair loss at 18, after using antibiotics for a year.

Felk

Reaction score
As a side note, i wonder if taking probiotic tablets or acidopholus or something would have any benefit now (its been about nine months since i stopped taking antibiotics) since my internal flora was out of whack for so long

iostream71

Reaction score
i was on antibiotics for about 2 years with halted/slowed hair loss, then i got off them and about a month later i started thinning in the front. interesting that i had the opposite effect

i was on doxycycline and tetracycline, to name a couple

iostream71

Reaction score
i was on with 2 different docs for breakouts. i know i was on way too long, but my Doctor kept pushing it until we both decided to quit

too bald too furious

Experienced Member
Reaction score
This wouldn't make a difference if you were taking antibiotics once in a blue moon for an infection, but if you were taking it constantly.[/code]

NYVic20

Established Member
Reaction score
CJ, its the same with me; my father started thinning when he went into his thirties and I was expecting the same. I was also looking at some pics of myself from a year and a half ago and I cant see any thinning at all plus my shedding started a couple of months ago so I know it had to be a radical change that year which brought about my sudden strong diffuse thinning and the only thing I was taking internally besides for my mutli vitamins , were antibiotics. badasshairday: for acne ; usually in conjunction with antibiotic topicals like benzoyl peroxide.

CCS

Reaction score
yeah, I won't even take asprin for a head ache, though that is not an anti-biotic. I heard asprin may be healthy, though. I get flu shots each year and am immunized against a lot of stuff, and I eat and sleep right and am not to polite to avoid people with colds. I also don't use soap on my dishes unless an oil or animal product was on them. I heard eating yeast is healthy. I did not know about all that, though, but am glad I don't take that stuff.

It seems everyone where I live has alergies, except for me. I'm so lucky. no watery eyes, no coughing, nothing. Just a little extra mucus on the back of my through, which I clear once in a while and some people don't like the sound of me doing that.

For head aches, I drink water, exercise, and masterbate. That cures them for sure, and fast. I really worry about people taking all these allergy meds and pain killers all the time. Part of the reason I never got hooked is the few times I took asprin, it did nothing for my head ackes, so I saw no point in taking it again. I think a lot of stuff is BS and does not work.

Felk

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
yeah, I won't even take asprin for a head ache, though that is not an anti-biotic. I heard asprin may be healthy, though. I get flu shots each year and am immunized against a lot of stuff, and I eat and sleep right and am not to polite to avoid people with colds. I also don't use soap on my dishes unless an oil or animal product was on them. I heard eating yeast is healthy. I did not know about all that, though, but am glad I don't take that stuff.

It seems everyone where I live has alergies, except for me. I'm so lucky. no watery eyes, no coughing, nothing. Just a little extra mucus on the back of my through, which I clear once in a while and some people don't like the sound of me doing that.

For head aches, I drink water, exercise, and masterbate. That cures them for sure, and fast. I really worry about people taking all these allergy meds and pain killers all the time. Part of the reason I never got hooked is the few times I took asprin, it did nothing for my head ackes, so I saw no point in taking it again. I think a lot of stuff is BS and does not work.

Aspirin is really nothing short of a "wonder drug"

That being said, because it has so many amazing uses, it also has a range of potential problems it can cause when not used properly. It's amazing how many people die from taking it each year.

-cj-

Experienced Member
Reaction score
badasshairday said:
Why were you guys on antibiotics for so long?
For Acne. Which I didn't really have much of, wish I would have never used it.

WorldofWarcraft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
YES ! A new CCS quote. I was kinda getting bored with the last one.

G

masturbation is actually a great headache reliever. it draws the blood from one head to another.

WorldofWarcraft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My dick is so huge I pass out from loss of blood in the brain whenver I get an erection.

HARM1

Established Member
Reaction score
WorldofWarcraft said:
My dick is so huge I pass out from loss of blood in the brain whenver I get an erection.
OMG I was sure that only happens to me .

newguy2006

Established Member
Reaction score
excessive use of antibiotics also contributes to systemic candida infection, which in turn leads to inflammation and numerous other health problems. candida has also been brought up by numerous posters - including myself - as a likely contributing factor in hairloss. this study doesn't surprise me in the least.

cookcubed

Reaction score
IF these antibiotics caused a buildup of DHT in your body, wouldn't that level of dht go down once you have stoped talking them and your hair would grow back?