Anti-depressants and hairloss

ShedMaster

Reaction score
I know many anti-depressants have a grocery list of possible side effects with hairloss being one of them. My question is, how plausable is hairloss from a mild prescription of anti-depressants like wellbutrin or prozak or zyloft? I suppose it would be more prevelant in those with a predisposition of male pattern baldness, but how significant is it really? Any comments welcome.

Hairless Potter

Established Member
Reaction score
ShedMaster said:
I know many anti-depressants have a grocery list of possible side effects with hairloss being one of them.

Dude, SSRI's do not cause hairloss. So go ahead and indulge in Zoloft, Prozac, Paxil, Lexapro, or Celexa. :p

G

I have taken prozac on and off for years.

I've taken small dose 10mg and a big does 40 mg. Never lost or grew hair from it.

Reaction score
As someone who took Paxil for about three years and studied a lot of information about it, I can tell you that hair loss from anti-depressants is possible, but generally unlikely. It's one of the rarer side effects from taking one of these drugs. Your hair loss probably isn't from taking one of these drugs, if that is the nature of your inquiry.

As for side effects that I experienced, I couldn't get an erection for the first few days or so (it eventually went away), I gained about 15 pounds and I found that a lot of my emotions had been dulled after I stopped taking the drug. I found myself being extremely sensitive for a week after I quit.

Hopefully the same things don't happen when I start Propecia in a few days. *crosses fingers*

MW

G

ShedMaster said:
What, if any, other side effects did you notice while being on them? thanks.

Only one side effect comes to mind.

When I have sex I have no problem getting hard, but sometimes like right after I take a pill I just can't come.

That's it.

Wait one more, if I drink while on prozac I get drunker quicker.

Prozac really helped me come to terms with my hair-loss. I recommend it to anyone depressed about losing hair.

Balding Sucks, but prozac keeps me from thinking about 24*7. Just like the commercial, I am able to live life again. :)

P.S. I am still trying to grow hair. I just don't cry when I look in the mirror. NW6-7 :cry:

Hairless Potter

Established Member
Reaction score
Prozac possible side effects: insomnia, nauseak diarrhea, tremor, headache, anorexia, anxiety, dry mouth, decreased libido, delayed ejaculation, anorgasmia, rash, abnormal dreams, sedation, diaphoresis, pruritus. Remember, side effects are very rare, and are reported as some participants in clinical trials experienced these symptoms. Therefor they had to be reported as possible sides. However, it does not mean these symptoms were necesarily the actions of the drug. Could be coincidental. :)

ahmedwk

Established Member
Reaction score
I think it's my case

Now I was thinking when my hair loss started. and I can't find any other events at this time (beginning of 2004) that happened to me at this time except start taking prozac for 6 monthes.

Is there any way to reverse it?

wangho75

Experienced Member
Reaction score
whats a good drug to get rid of the "blahs"? It's not like im just "sad" or crying all the time. I dont feel excited about life and I need a spark and the ability to look someone in the eye when talking. Im shy and a bit bitchy and unhappy, but the harbinger of my problems is that im bored and, unmotivated, and unhappy with things in life. Thing is, I generally feel pretty good about myself. Im good-looking, smart, and witty except when I have to convey to other people.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
wangho75 said:
whats a good drug to get rid of the "blahs"? It's not like im just "sad" or crying all the time. I dont feel excited about life and I need a spark and the ability to look someone in the eye when talking. Im shy and a bit bitchy and unhappy, but the harbinger of my problems is that im bored and, unmotivated, and unhappy with things in life. Thing is, I generally feel pretty good about myself. Im good-looking, smart, and witty except when I have to convey to other people.

the thing about antidepressants is that yes they will eliminate anxieties or fears, especially social, but many people get a foggy fealing when taking them. It eliminates your lows, but also you highs to a degree also, in my opinion. I think they would help with your lack of motivation too. For which kind, everyone is different, and you can ask what your doctor thinks about them I suppose.

Jacob

Reaction score
wangho75 said:

These aren't "drugs"..but...SAM-E....Kava Kava....& alpha-Linolenic Acid from flax and perilla oil. Just a few of the many out there though...

Britannia

Reaction score
Most SSRI's can be prescribed for anxiety, aswell as tranqilizers and beta-blockers.

JayB

Experienced Member
Reaction score
when i had anxiety, i was put on sinequan and then a low dose of paxil.
Both helped

markelbentley

Established Member
Reaction score
hey jay b

hey jayb,

how long were you on the meds? was it hard for you to get off them or not that big a deal? thanks.