Another Question About Gyno!

dave2004

Reaction score
Before i start i would just like to say i used the "search" but couldnt find an answer to this.

I have been on 1/4 proscar for nearly 2 months and after reading about the possiblity of developing gyno, i began to get concerned. I checked my pecs but cant find any lumps or pain at this time, but i am sure they are getting bigger.

Is this likley or am i just being paranoid?

Should i try cutting down the dosage? I dont want to grow a pair of tits :eek:

Thanks.

dave2004

Reaction score
do you think i am imagining things or is it likley?

I really dont want to quit proscar now!

douggie

Established Member
Reaction score
dave2004 said:
do you think i am imagining things or is it likley?

I really dont want to quit proscar now!

Yes, you are prolly imagining it. Generally, your nips will get sore just prior to gyno forming. I don't mean just a bit sore, alot sore.

Cassin

Reaction score
More than likely your are imagining things.

Yes indeed some guys do get it, but that is very very rare. If your worried, go to a Doctor and set your mind at ease. Guessing and asking questions here to speculate if you have gyno will only get you confused.

dave2004

Reaction score
ok thanks,

I will stick with it and see how it goes

is it possible to get a swelling in the chest without developing a lump?

douggie

Established Member
Reaction score
The swelling would be in the nipple specifically. You could very well get a little swelling there without forming a bump. Most people think gyno is something that it is not. They are not breasts per se like a woman, although that is a consequence of gyno and high bodyfat, it is more localized swelling in the nipple.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
Dave,

look at all the other changes in the past two months before assuming it's gyno. Eating habbits, alcohol consumption, other meds your taking (OTC stuff included).

Now on to Gyno.
Gyno is NOT always accompanied by painful or itchy nipples nor is it always accompanied by a lump.
There are three types (look them up)
1. Glandular
2. Fatty/Glandular
3. Fatty

It is possible to get swelling in the chest without a lump. In fact that is exactly what happened in my left pec. It looked and felt like the pump you get right after a chest workout.
I didn't experience this in the right pec, but the right side nipple had a small lima bean shaped lump that I still have.
You may just be experiencing a temporary rise in Estrogen which will make you feel a little bloated in the chest and gut. Just keep an eye on it, chances are it will pass.
However if you think that it might be your imagination it probably is.

dave2004

Reaction score
ok,

thanks for the help guys, i will keep an eye on things and let you know what the outcome is, either way.

drinkrum

Reaction score
By the way, all guys have a gland behind their nipple. If you squeeze hard enough, you'll notice a small fleshy thing right under your tissue. This is normal. This is NOT gyno.

D.

dave2004

Reaction score
BHD - How is your situation going are you on a reduced dosage of finasteride, or have you stopped all together?

Also i forgot to ask, is gyno always painful? Although i think my pecks are swolen i have no pain at all?

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
dave2004 said:
BHD - How is your situation going are you on a reduced dosage of finasteride, or have you stopped all together?

Also i forgot to ask, is gyno always painful? Although i think my pecks are swolen i have no pain at all?

I'm on .5mg and the gyno is pretty much staying the same. I'm also using a drug to combat gyno called Nolvadex. The last 2 weeks I've been shedding like crazy.....Look at my "I Give Up" thread for more info on that. I've decided to stick it out with the finasteride for a while longer.

Gyno is not always painful but you do feel it. My first sign was a lima bean shaped lump around the size of a dime right above the right nipple. Then a few days later the left side of my chest swelled which was later accompanied by a slight burning sensation. It didn't hurt it was just uncomfortable. A few days later I went to the Dr. and he confirmed it was Gyno.

JJ Gittes

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm on my 6th day of dutasteride (.5) and I definitely have a little tenderness in the chest area. I took propecia for years without this problem, so I'm not sure what to make of it.

It's a little disconcerting, though.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
JJ Gittes said:
I'm on my 6th day of dutasteride (.5) and I definitely have a little tenderness in the chest area. I took propecia for years without this problem, so I'm not sure what to make of it.

It's a little disconcerting, though.

Just keep an eye on it and try not to think too much about it. dutasteride is much stronger than finasteride and from what I understand it has a higher rate of side effects.

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's a few hints: to fight gyno you have to fight estrogen. That means, lay off the soy products (precursors of the hormone) and lose the fat (adipose tissue makes estrogen). In theory anywy..

JJ Gittes

Established Member
Reaction score
I eat a lot of soy, which has not been a problem for me when taking propecia. However, I wonder if a high soy diet plus dutasteride is simply too much estrogen?

Bad Hair Decade: Did your doctor advise whether gyno will eventually go away on its own? I see you're still taking .5 finasteride; did the doctor advise you to stop 5AR inhibitors all together?

dave2004

Reaction score
I am thinking if trying some DIM (diindolylmethane) capsules as i believe they can help lower the unwanted estrogen in the body. I have read that this substance is found naturaly in some vegetables, so i am willing to try it before going for any of the stronger drugs.

BHD - Did you consider taking this with your current regime? I know you have researched your options thouroughly.

If anyone has had any experience with DIM, good or bad, i would appreciate feedback on its effectivness.

Dave

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
JJ Gittes said:
Bad Hair Decade: Did your doctor advise whether gyno will eventually go away on its own? I see you're still taking .5 finasteride; did the doctor advise you to stop 5AR inhibitors all together?

He said it should go away and recommended that I quit taking finasteride. Then when I told him that I'd rather not, he told me to cut the dose in half and see how that goes.

I seriously doubt soy would rasie estrogen levels enough to contribute to gyno...Much in the same way Green Tea won't help get rid of it. I've been drinking green tea (a lot) for ages. One of the things it's supposed to do is lower E levels.

Gyno is not only casued by High E levels. It can also be casued by Low T levels.

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
On finasteride, you T levels will be much higher than on anyone elses... its just that DHT is a super-T and an anti-E. And soy only works on people with the enzyme that can convert the phyto-estrogen to estrogen, which explains why not all people 'benefit' from soy.

I'm intrigued.. *goes off to look at journals @ sciencedirect*