Androgens associated with advanced glycation end-products

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Androgens associated with advanced glycation end-products in postmenopausal women.
Diamanti-Kandarakis E, Lambrinoudaki I, Economou F, Christou M, Piperi C, Papavassiliou AG, Creatsas G.
Source

Third Department of Internal Medicine, Sotiria General Hospital, Medical School, University of Athens, Athens, Greece. akandara@otenet.gr
Abstract
OBJECTIVE:

Higher frequency of subclinical atherosclerosis has been linked with androgen levels in postmenopausal women. Advanced glycation end-products (AGEs) are well-recognized atherogenic molecules. Therefore, we investigated the association of postmenopausal sex steroid and metabolic status with serum AGE levels.
METHODS:

Serum sex hormones, fasting glucose, fasting insulin, and AGEs were assessed in 106 healthy postmenopausal women. Insulin resistance was estimated by using the homeostasis model assessment of insulin resistance (HOMA-IR).
RESULTS:

Women in the highest testosterone quartile (Q4) had higher serum AGE levels (Q1, 5.22 IU/mL ± 0.50; Q2, 5.08 ± 0.53 IU/mL; Q3, 5.78 ± 1.10 IU/mL vs Q4, 7.35 ± 1.23 IU/mL; P < 0.0005) compared with women in the lowest testosterone quartiles. Accordingly, women in the highest free androgen index (FAI) quartile had higher serum AGE levels (Q1, 5.36 ± 0.59 IU/mL; Q2, 5.28 ± 0.72 IU/mL vs Q4, 6.68 ± 1.48 IU/mL; P < 0.0005) compared with women in the lowest FAI quartile. These findings remained significant after adjustment for age, body mass index, HOMA-IR, and fasting glucose and fasting insulin levels. A highly significant correlation was found for testosterone and FAI with AGEs and persisted after adjustment for age, body mass index, HOMA-IR, and fasting glucose and fasting insulin levels (r = 0.67, P < 0.0005)
CONCLUSIONS:

The data from the current study suggest that higher levels of AGEs are positively associated with higher androgen levels. This association, identified for the first time, may provide an additional insight into the pathophysiological mechanisms linking the described higher prevalence of cardiovascular events with higher androgen levels in postmenopausal women.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Effect of metformin administration on plasma advanced glycation end product levels in women with polycystic ovary syndrome.
Diamanti-Kandarakis E, Alexandraki K, Piperi C, Aessopos A, Paterakis T, Katsikis I, Panidis D.
Source

First Department of Internal Medicine, Endocrine Section, University of Athens Medical School, 17562 Athens, Greece. akandara@otenet.gr
Abstract

Metformin therapy in polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) improves metabolic and hormonal profiles. Its therapeutic effect on cardiovascular risk factors is under investigation. Advanced glycation end products (AGEs), well-known atherogenic molecules, were recently found to be elevated in plasma of women with PCOS. The purpose of the study was to investigate the effect of metformin treatment in plasma AGE levels of women with PCOS. This was a descriptive clinical trial. The study involved 22 patients with PCOS (age, 25.09 +/- 1.05 years; body mass index [BMI], 28.44 +/- 1.51 kg/m(2)) and 22 healthy women (age, 26.50 +/- 0.85 years; BMI, 25.62 +/- 1.30 kg/m(2)). Measurements of plasma AGE levels (U/mL) were performed, and the metabolic and hormonal profiles were determined in all subjects. All women with PCOS received a dose of 1700 mg metformin daily for 6 months. AGEs levels were reduced after metformin administration in 22 women with PCOS (9.98 +/- 0.13 [before metformin] vs 9.86 +/- 0.11 [after metformin], P = .05). In a subgroup analysis, of 16 women with PCOS and normal glucose tolerance, the drop of AGE levels was potentiated (9.98 +/- 0.19 [before] vs 9.81 +/- 0.15 [after], P = .02). Body mass index as well as the other parameters studied remained unchanged after metformin therapy apart from a drop of testosterone levels (P = .01) and free androgen index (P = .009). In conclusion, after metformin therapy, the atherogenic AGE molecules were reduced in the serum of women with PCOS . The clinical relevance of this finding in PCOS, a high-risk group for type 2 diabetes mellitus and cardiovascular disease, remains to be seen. Future studies are required to confirm the need of therapeutic intervention for short-term abnormalities and for prevention of long-term sequelae characterizing this syndrome.

Experienced Member
Reaction score
353xnp.jpg

abcdefg

Reaction score
I think it should be mandatory when an article like this is posted someone translates it to average joe terms we can understand. I not biology/chemistry guy.

Experienced Member
Reaction score
abcdefg said:
I think it should be mandatory when an article like this is posted someone translates it to average joe terms we can understand. I not biology/chemistry guy.

squeegee is a bald troll.... I wouldn't pay any attention to what he's posting :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Jacob

Reaction score
2020...what was that thread again...about you? :shakehead: Squeegee posts some good :censored:

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Jacob said:
2020...what was that thread again...about you? :shakehead: Squeegee posts some good :censored:

why do you have eagle as your avatar? What are you trying to say? :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Jacob

Reaction score
I'm saying I love that avatar..out of all the ones available here. Plus it has to do with one of my fav songs:

[youtube:7oivainl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri-obaBZr9I[/youtube:7oivainl]

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
2020 said:
Jacob said:

why do you have eagle as your avatar? What are you trying to say? :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

2020... you are a dumbass troll... a real f*****g dumbass. BTW it is a bald eagle in his avatar.. Do you make the connection????? As far as I know , you only here to b**ch about everybody's post and threads trolling around, bitching and asking dumb f*****g questions... Look at your signature line? That is trolling around.. I never said such thing ever..You are just another lazy dumb ***.. that is looking for the cure!!!!LOL Like I said before.. you were doing way better as a lurker. dumb c***. Oh.. yeah that post is irrelevant.... try to hit the search button on insulin resistance and androgen... Do you know what glycation is BTW? f*** you don't know.. you so lost and dumb...it is unreal. Get that signature deleted f*****g POS.

Experienced Member
Reaction score
squeegee said:
2020... you are a dumbass troll... a real f****ing dumbass. BTW it is a bald eagle in his avatar.. Do you make the connection????? As far as I know , you only here to b**ch about everybody's post and threads trolling around, bitching and asking dumb f****ing questions... Look at your signature line? That is trolling around.. I never said such thing ever..You are just another lazy dumb ***.. that is looking for the cure!!!!LOL Like I said before.. you were doing way better as a lurker. dumb c**t. Oh.. yeah that post is irrelevant.... try to hit the search button on insulin resistance and androgen... Do you know what glycation is BTW? f*ck you don't know.. you so lost and dumb...it is unreal. Get that signature deleted f****ing POS.

1483037699_21becff487.jpg