Androgenic Alopecia Is Associated with Less Dietary Soy, Higher Blood Vanadium

bornthisway

Established Member
Reaction score
In general nothing really ever came from soy isoflavones in the past but maybe there's a higher chance to benefit if you're of asian descent...

PLoS One. 2013 Dec 30;8(12):e79789. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0079789.
Androgenic Alopecia Is Associated with Less Dietary Soy, Higher Blood Vanadium and rs1160312 1 Polymorphism in Taiwanese Communities
Lai CH, Chu NF, Chang CW, Wang SL, Yang HC, Chu CM, Chang CT, Lin MH, Chien WC, Su SL, Chou YC, Chen KH, Wang WM, Liou SH.

BACKGROUND:
Although the genetic basis of androgenic alopecia has been clearly established, little is known about its non-genetic causes, such as environmental and lifestyle factors.

OBJECTIVE:
This study investigated blood and urine heavy metals concentrations, environmental exposure factors, personal behaviors, dietary intakes and the genotypes of related susceptibility genes in patients with androgenic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia).

DESIGN:
Age, Androgenetic Alopecia level, residence area, work hours, sleep patterns, cigarette usage, alcohol consumption, betel nut usage, hair treatments, eating habits, body heavy metals concentrations and rs1998076, rs913063, rs1160312 and rs201571 SNP genotype data were collected from 354 men. Logistic regression analysis was performed to examine whether any of the factors displayed odds ratios (ORs) indicating association with moderate to severe Androgenetic Alopecia (≧IV). Subsequently, Hosmer-Lemeshow, Nagelkerke R(2) and accuracy tests were conducted to help establish an optimal model.

RESULTS:
Moderate to severe Androgenetic Alopecia was associated with the AA genotype of rs1160312 (22.50, 95% CI 3.99-126.83), blood vanadium concentration (0.02, 95% CI 0.01-0.04), and regular consumption of soy bean drinks (0.23, 95% CI 0.06-0.85), after adjustment for age. The results were corroborated by the Hosmer-Lemeshow test (P = 0.73), Nagelkerke R(2) (0.59), accuracy test (0.816) and area under the curve (AUC; 0.90, 0.847-0.951) analysis.
CONCLUSIONS:

Blood vanadium and frequent soy bean drink consumption may provide protect effects against Androgenetic Alopecia. Accordingly, blood vanadium concentrations, the AA genotype of rs1160312 and frequent consumption of soy bean drinks are associated with Androgenetic Alopecia.

PMID: 24386074
PMCID: PMC3875420

abcdefg

Reaction score
How do you separate out those factors like sleep,work, alcohol consumption from the hair loss that just is directly from your genetic influence? Some guys with bad hair loss might just be from stronger genetic influence and then you see some pattern but its coincidence not cause and effect. We dont even know how genetically male pattern baldness even works or get passed on so how can we possibly separate genetic/environment factors apart? I just dont trust results from a study like this. This also discounts that having high dietary soy consumption has been found to have many bad effects on its own so its not any better a solution than just taking propecia.

probably because there arent any. I strongly disagree that non genetic causes have any major influence on male pattern baldness I think your just looking for patterns where there are no real corrolations. male pattern baldness is not heart disease or cancer where there is some environmental factor. I know many guys with bad male pattern baldness and some have good diets I just dont have never ever seen any man stop or regrow hair through diet so I dont buy it yet we constantly see studies telling us this or suggesting it.
"little is known about its non-genetic causes, such as environmental and lifestyle factors."