Androgenetic alopecia obsession causes more hair loss

-Synergy-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Should the focused on this forum or in general always be on androgenetic alopecia related hair loss? Is it just me or does it seem like the second somebody says they are losing hair everybody recommends decreasing DHT and dousing their head in minoxidil or Ru58841? This isn’t just HairLossTalk but also doctors and dermatologists. I’m not trying to knock anyone but it seems very ridiculous to just instantaneously assume you have male pattern hair loss because somebody just told you so or because everyone else has male pattern hair loss. There are many other forms of hair loss that exist. For example, I had to go to four different doctors for one of them to correctly diagnose me with folliculitis. If I wouldn’t have suspected something other than male pattern hair loss, I would still have a nasty infection going on.

There are many forms of hair loss and skin conditions that can cause hair loss. I don’t think posting pictures of a bald spot from a foot away that is increasing in size does any good. I don’t think going to the doctor and having them toss your hair around for two seconds to get a male pattern hair loss diagnosis is always worth it. What if you were a person that though you had diffuse androgenetic alopecia but actually had alopecia areata incognita? What if it was actually just telogen effluvium? What if it was a diffuse scarring alopecia?

My point is that everyone seems like an expert on male pattern hair loss, how finasteride/dutasteride works, what percentage of minoxidil to use but nobody talks about trichoscopy. A person might find an obvious alternative treatment(corticosteroids) if they are trying to stop alopecia areata ophiasis with dutasteride and it’s not working. Can you imagine wasting all your time with male pattern hair loss drugs only to find out you got a wrong diagnosis or you developed a secondary hair disorder and never realized it.

A lot of users on this forum also try to attempt recreating results of clinical studies on hair loss. This is usually where people will recreate a topical like peppermint oil, rosemary oil, caffeine, etc to see if it actually will have a positive impact on hair growth or retention to some extent. A microscope would be able to show if something is actually working and should be paired with another treatment or technique.

Found this expensive book but it seems like it would be useful for the knowledge and there are probably more affordable ways of getting it.

Otherwise there are up close examples all over the internet. One website that has up close examples of lichen planopilaris, alopecia areata, folliculitis decalvans, etc. You just have to do some searching around.

For all I know this could be obvious to every single user on this forum. It just seems strange that dermoscopy and or trichoscopy isn’t discussed more. A lot of doctors don’t even perform the technique when the equipment isn’t even that expensive. A closer look might speak volumes for some. I think the skin and/or hair structures condition and follicle is worth being investigated if your hair is pouring out.

Last edited:

Ganked By DHT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Very true but the forum is full of people posting pics of their head and expecting a diagnosis. Those people need to educate themself, they know their history better than random strangers.

Ticken

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Scopes are a pretty great diagnostic tool and seem to be under-utilized in these forums.
There's a bunch of scalp and follicle issues that can be detected pretty quickly under a magnified scope. An inexpensive usb digital microscope from aliexpress plus some dermatological photos/illustrations for comparison were extremely helpful to see what was abnormal in my follicles/scalp.

I also kind of wish that more people seeking hair loss advice would post a magnified scalp/follicles photo.

1616347344705.png

Last edited:

-Synergy-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Ticken
@Ganked By DHT

I bought my cheap wireless usb microscope from Amazon. It really helped me relieve my dermatitis symptoms. I feel like a dermascope/microscope is an essential tool for anyone experiencing hair loss. I agree, if a person on this forum isn’t posting a magnified scalp photo, what is there to say?

Few more links:

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Ticken
@Ganked By DHT

I bought my cheap wireless usb microscope from Amazon. It really helped me relieve my dermatitis symptoms. I feel like a dermascope/microscope is an essential tool for anyone experiencing hair loss. I agree, if a person on this forum isn’t posting a magnified scalp photo, what is there to say?

Few more links:

How does a microscope help your dermatitis? As in you tried different approaches until you saw actual evidence of results?

-Synergy-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How does a microscope help your dermatitis? As in you tried different approaches until you saw actual evidence of results?

Well yeast causes seborrheic dermatitis and severe seborrheic dermatitis causes large plaque formation. The yeast create something called a biofilm but most people just refer to this as plaque. The yeast uses dead skin cells and oils to construct the biofilm/plaque. Long story short the plaque houses the yeast to shield them against medication that could kill them. It is kinda amazing how organisms have evolved in order to survive but also a pain in the *** if you are their host.

I made modifications to my wireless microscope so that I could pass in a thin piece of metal to up close and carefully remove plaque from around my hair follicles. It was also a lot easier to poison them with medication at this point. Trying to comb the plaque out just does further damage to the skin and the plaque is so thick that chunks of hair get ripped out attached to the plaque.

In addition, it definitely helped me spot treat inflammation with corticosteroids. It helps spot treat signs of dry skin and anything else really. I now use my microscope to check when it’s time to exfoliate in an attempt to maintain optimal scalp health. Oh and you can tell if an area needs a little extra treatment to catch up to other areas that are improving.

Last edited: