Androgenetic Alopecia At 18 - Just Started A Regimen | HairLossTalk Forums
Dismiss Notice
Forum Update: Aug 19. Feedback for the Admin? Upgrade coming: Click Here.

Androgenetic Alopecia At 18 - Just Started A Regimen

Discussion in 'Tell Your Story' started by Cez, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Cez

Cez New Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Hello everyone!

I am new to this website, so I guess a small introduction may be needed. I am 18 and, as you may have probably got from the title, I have Androgenetic Alopecia. I’ll include pictures of the current state of my hair, which I think may fall under a Norwood 2.5 but I am not sure (my hairline has always been extremely high, so I am not sure how much is due to Androgenetic Alopecia and what is due my natural hairline being pretty high). My main concern is the hairline as it’s been receiving quite a bit. On the vertex I would say that it’s still quite okay, but it’s definitely seen better days.

I have already done 3 PRP injections (they are relatively inexpensive where I live) and I have another scheduled for the end of January. I also went to my dermatologist who told me to start taking propecia 1mg daily, which I have been doing for two days. So my current regimen is:
    -Propecia 1mg daily
    -PRP injections to try and strengthen/stimulate my hair
    -Some other supplements that are not specificly for my Androgenetic Alopecia.

I also used minoxidil 5% in September, which I found very uncomfortable to use. Also, the increased shedding triggered a very low few weeks for me (I struggle with mental health issues, so I try to stay away from any trigger as much as possible), which leaded me to stop using it alltogether. So I am not considering starting using again as I would really rather look at my hair as little as possible as it causes me distress to have to look at it for more than 2 minutes at once.

I am open to any suggestions and things that I should add to my regimen. I was looking into dermarolling and LLLT to help with blood flow and hair stimulation. Which one would you all recommend? I will be posting updates every three months.

Attached Files:

2. Cez

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    I just want to point out that I took three of the pictures before having a haircut and the other 2 after having my hair cut so that’s why my hair looks shorter in the last two pics. Also, I was wondering whether effectiveness of propecia/finasteride is heridatary? I tried to look for studies on the topic but I found nothing. I am asking this because my dad took finasteride for 6 months in his 30s and told me that he had amazing results (he then stopped taking it because at the time he thought that he could not take it for longer than 6 months) from finasteride only. I was wondering whether or not the effectiveness of DHT-inhibiting drug may be inherited just like we inherit our DHT-sensitivity.

3. Logic

Logic Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Minoxidil and dermapen.

Cez likes this.
  4. Cez

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Hello guys,
    I want to add dermarolling to my regimen. I have recently bought a 1.5mm dermaroller. Today I have tried to dermaroll on my hairline but I couldn’t feel any pain? And there was also very little to no redness. I was wondering if that was normal and if it’s not, what am I doing wrong??

5. Cez

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    today it’s officially three months since I started taking propecia! As you can see, no exponential change, as expected. I had no side effects whatsoever, just some shedding that hasn’t stopped yet but I am not stressing too much about it as I think it’s a good sign. I am positive and hopefully next time I update there will be some more interesting results

Attached Files:

6. Onni

Onni Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Propecia should help in few months. Good luck with that.

Cez likes this.
  7. Cez

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Yeah Onni, I hope so!!

8. hemingway_the_mercenary

hemingway_the_mercenary Experienced Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    finasteride will help with your crown but i think you will continue to thin on your hairline cuz your hairloss is so aggressive, kind of like min

pm me if youd like to join a fina restistant hairloss group chat

DHTcel and Cez like this.
  9. Cez

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Hello Hemingway!
    I am not sure whether or not I am finasteride resistant, but Idk, I feel quite positive that’s it’s working! Thank you for the offer, but I want to still give it a few months to see whether or not it’s helping. I have recently added nizoral to my regime (two weeks ago approximately) and I think it’s been really helping with the shed I was experiencing with finasteride! Also my hair hasn’t got any worse since decemeber (when I started taking it) so that’s a good sign I hope!

10. Cez

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Hello everyone! Today is officially 6 marks since I officially started a regimen to treat my hair and I promised myself to update this thread every three months, so here I am. You can find my pictures down below.
    I thought that because it is my first 6 months update I could maybe get in a little bit more detail about my experience so far.

My starting regimen was:
    - propecia everyday
    - nizoral shampoo every now and then
    - three PRP sessions
    - 1.5 microneedling weekly

As I have mentioned before, I started experiencing shedding pretty early on. I think I first started shedding a lot after a month on finasteride or so. That is, I think, the only side effect I have experienced so far. I know that many people experience sexual side effects from finasteride, but I guess I was lucky enough to not get any side effects at all. Actually, in January I actually experienced an increased libido but I can’t tell if it was due to the finasteride or something else. So, to conclude, I have not experienced side effects from finasteride, except for a major shedding, which I don’t know that it can be considered a side effect or not.

Results so far:
    I’ll leave it to you to assess whether or not there was any improvements. I personally believe that, from what I can from the pictures, it looks like I haven’t changed much from baseline. This may not look like much to many, but in my opinion, no change is still a win. One huge improvement that I must add is that I feel like my scalp’s got a lot healthier. In November/December, my scalp was extremely flaky and red in colour and had a generally unhealthy look, but now I would say that it’s quite healthy. I do still get a little of occasional dandruff but it is overall healthier, which is a huge improvement in my opinion.
    I think the hair per se is pretty much like baseline, but I think it might slightly fuller on the top and that there may be a bit more baby hair across my original hairline. I can’t remember if that baby hair all around my hairline was there a few months ago so I’ll just leave it to you decide. However, I feel quite positive about it as it is all around my original hairline and it gives me a bit more hope that I could gain part of it back.

New regimen!
    In April I went to another dermatologist who highly recommended the use of minoxidil to thicken up that baby hair and I therefore decided to give it a second chance. He said that using it once a day should be enough, so that’s what I am doing. I have been using a daily dose every night. I know many people say that it works best by applying it twice a day, but my dermatologist advised to apply it only once a day and I honestly feel like this may help with compliance (at least in my experience). It is definitely to early to report any changes due to the minoxidil as I have been using for insufficient time to actually assess any possible improvements due to the minoxidil. Call me optimist but I have a good feeling about implementing minoxidil in my regime and I feel that I may see some kind of results by August.

Hopefully I will have much juicer results next time I update the thread in September

Attached Files: