Androgenetic Alopecia and insulin resistance in young men

bornthisway

Established Member
Reaction score
Androgenetic alopecia and insulin resistance in young men.

Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2008 Dec 15.
González-González JG, Mancillas-Adame LG, Fernández-Reyes M, Gómez-Flores M, Lavalle-González FJ, Ocampo-Candiani J, Villarreal-Pérez JZ.
"Dr. Jose Eleuterio Gonzalez" University Hospital, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Autonoma de Nuevo Leon, Servicio de Endocrinologia.

Background: Epidemiological studies have associated androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) to severe young-age coronary artery disease and hypertension, and linked it to insulin resistance. We carried out a case-control study in age and weight-matched young males to study the link between Androgenetic Alopecia and insulin resistance using the HOMA-IR index or metabolic syndrome clinical manifestations. Methods: Eighty young males, 18 to 35 years old, with androgenetic alopecia equal or greater than stage III Hamilton-Norwood, and 80 weight and age-matched controls were included. Alopecia, glucose, serum insulin, HOMA-IR index, lipid profile and androgen levels, as well as metabolic syndrome criteria were evaluated. Results: The HOMA-IR index was significantly higher in cases than controls. Non-obese cases had a higher mean diastolic blood pressure and a more frequent family history of Androgenetic Alopecia than non-obese controls. A borderline difference in the HOMA-IR index was found in obese Androgenetic Alopecia cases vs. obese controls (p=0.055, CI 95%= 2.36 to 4.20 vs.1.75 to 2.73, respectively). Free testosterone values were significantly higher in controls than cases, regardless of BMI. A statistically significant additive effect for obesity plus alopecia was found with significant trends for insulin, the HOMA-IR index, lipids and free testosterone when BMI and alopecia status were used to classify the participants. Conclusions: Our results support the recommendation for assessing insulin resistance and cardiovascular-related features and disorders in all young males with grade 3 or higher Androgenetic Alopecia, according to the Hamilton-Norwood classification.

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score
metformin is a popular diabetic drug used for insulin resistance.

Many woman with PCOS take this and find their acne and hair loss stops. PCOS causing problems with excessive androgens being produced and involves being insulin resistant.

I have been thinking about trying some.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Good article!

http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/2008 ... edfellows/

Insulin's Real Purpose

What about insulin? If there is a known single marker for life span, as they are finding in the centenarian and laboratory animal studies, it is low insulin levels. What is the purpose of insulin? It is not to lower blood sugar, as is believed by the general public and the medical profession alike. That is a relatively trivial side effect, as it is also the function of other hormones such as glucagon, epinephrine, cortisol and growth hormone.

Insulin's evolutionary purpose is to store excess energy for future times of need. It lowers blood glucose levels for the purpose of storing it away, not regulating it. Our ancestors were forced to survive for days, weeks, or even months on little food. High glucose was not a big problem back then! Insulin helped our ancestors store away nutrients for the proverbial rainy day when they would need it.

Today, high glucose is the norm, not the exception. As a result, our insulin levels are typically much higher than they were among our ancestors. When your cells are constantly bombarded with insulin, they become insulin resistant; that is, they stop hearing insulin's important message. Moreover, excess insulin can damage your cells. In fact, insulin resistance may be a defense mechanism on the part of cells to protect against the toxic effects of excess insulin and to keep glucose, and therefore glycation, inside cells and in check. High insulin creates a hormonal derangement that has a catastrophic effect on your metabolism.

High insulin contributes to making you fat. Why? Firstly, high insulin is telling your cells to store fat rather than burn it. More importantly, repeatedly high levels of insulin cause insulin resistance. This wouldn't be so bad if it were uniform, but the major problem, once again, is a loss in the orchestration of the signals. Not all cells become insulin-resistant at the same time.

A possible scenario follows. Liver cells may be among the first to become insulin resistant. Since one of insulin's effects is to suppress production of sugar by the liver, if the liver is no longer listening to insulin, it is going to make a lot of sugar. Eventually muscle cells will become insulin resistant too. Then they can't burn the sugar that was manufactured by the liver, so your blood sugar levels keep rising. Your fat cells are among the last to become insulin resistant, which is a real problem because insulin promotes the making and storage of fat. Thanks to insulin, all that excess sugar that hasn't been burned off is now socked away as fat!

Found this 2 products also:

http://www.leanerliving.com/product.asp ... =jmoqcrenq
http://www.anabolicpump.net/

and Stevia is also really good!
The popularity of stevia continues to grow as more and more people find out about this amazing no-calorie herbal sweetener. One of the primary constituents of stevia that gives it its sweet taste is stevioside, which has been commercialized as a sweetener in Japan for more than 25 years. Lately, studies have shown that stevia, in addition to being a sweetener, has certain health benefits, too, particularly for diabetics and those with elevated blood pressure.

Stevia has been used for many years in the treatment of diabetes among Indians in Paraguay and Brazil. However, the mechanism for the blood glucose-lowering effect remains unknown. A study conducted at Aarhus University Hospital in Denmark found that stevioside enhances insulin secretion from mouse pancreatic islets in the presence of glucose. The researchers state, 'Stevioside stimulates insulin secretion via a direct action on pancreatic beta cells. The results indicate that the compounds may have a potential role as an anti-hyperglycemic agent in the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus.'

A double-blind, placebo-controlled study in Taiwan studied 106 Chinese hypertensive subjects ages ranging from 28 to 75 years. Each subject was given capsules containing 250 mg stevioside or placebo three times daily and followed-up at monthly intervals for 1 year (the average person who uses stevia ingests about 100 mg a day of stevioside). After 3 months, the systolic and diastolic blood pressure of the stevioside group decreased by about 6 points, and the effect persisted during the whole year. Blood biochemistry including lipid and glucose showed no major changes. No significant adverse effects were observed.

Dr. Sahelian comments: Stevia is a wonderful alternative to sugar and artificial sweeteners for those who have diabetes. The first study mentioned above gives us one more reason to recommend diabetics take advantage of this safe, no-calorie herbal sweetener. The second study indicates that not only stevia is safe for those with hypertension, but can actually reduce blood pressure.

Reference: Jeppesen PB, et al. Stevioside acts directly on pancreatic beta cells to secrete insulin. Metabolism 2000 Feb;49(2):208-14.

and more studies about Stevia: http://br-plus.com/herbalabstracts/stevia/laymans.htm

Fred

purecontrol

Established Member
Reaction score
Best things for insulin sensativity

#1 Sleep (going to bed at 9pm zero light in room, sunlight upon waking
#2 Diet with low fat (saturated, hydrogentated, ie soybean, canola), no sugar especially highfructose
#3 anaerobic and aerobic exercise
#4 Low stress life

#5 CLA
#6 Cinnulin
#7 Gynema
#8 Chocamine
#9 Fish/Kril oil
#10 GTE

wesleyBelgium

Established Member
Reaction score
i try to have a good long sleep
sleeping in a dark room , and having a wake up light (sunsimulator)
its works great i wake up with the light and if you still sleep
a sound gets generated as well : in my case : thunder (storm sound)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh2g4IjHIiU

i got the cheap clone of this, made in germany , and cost 1/2 of the philips...

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
wesleyBelgium said:
i try to have a good long sleep
sleeping in a dark room , and having a wake up light (sunsimulator)
its works great i wake up with the light and if you still sleep
a sound gets generated as well : in my case : thunder (storm sound)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh2g4IjHIiU

i got the cheap clone of this, made in germany , and cost 1/2 of the philips...

I am going to buy that Wesley.. pretty damn cool!

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
purecontrol said:

#2 Diet with low fat (saturated, hydrogentated, ie soybean, canola), no sugar especially highfructose
#4 Low stress life

#5 CLA
#6 Cinnulin
#7 Gynema
#8 Chocamine
#9 Fish/Kril oil
#10 GTE

Add that also!

Berberine HCI
Banaba
Na-R-Ala
Vitamine D
Chromium
Vitamine K
Bitter Melon
Glucomannan
Cinnamon
L-Taurine
Insulinomics
Omega 3 fatty acids
Vitamin E

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
To the previous lists of substances and techniques for improving insulin sensitivity, add VINEGAR, which is probably the best of all. Vinegar is certainly cheaper and easier to obtain than those other supplements! :)

Here's a scan of a short, readable, and fascinating study of taking vinegar prior to high-carb meals, and suggests that it has a Metformin-like effect at keeping blood sugar and insulin under control. It was published in the medical journal Diabetes:

http://www.geocities.com/bryan50001/vinegar_insulin.htm

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks a lot Bryan! I look @ the recipe : 20 Gr apple cider vinegar
40 Gr Water
1 teaspoon Saccharine

Why Saccharine? Can I go straight vinegar?? There are saying after a 2 minutes delay?? After or prior ther meal?

The study is very impressive.. I know so many people that got diabetes type 2 but don't do, try or change their lifestyle. I train a lot and I know that blood glucose is really important and insulin is a major hormone. With that recipe they are having results Like metformin/acarbose medication.

Fred

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
squeegee said:
Why Saccharine? Can I go straight vinegar??

You can if you wish, but the strong acid taste of the vinegar takes some getting used to. I keep a bottle of vinegar on my kitchen counter for use prior to a high-carb meal, with a small plastic measuring cup already pre-marked at the 20 gram point with a Sharpie permanent marker. It's easy to toss 20 grams of vinegar into a separate cup, add some water to dilute it (VERY important to dilute it, since straight vinegar all by itself without any added water is extremely sour), and drink it down. At first I added a packet of sacharine like they did in the study, but after a while I got used to the sourness, and now I just drink it straight without any sweetener (although still diluted in water).

squeegee said:
There are saying after a 2 minutes delay?? After or prior ther meal?

Prior to the meal.

squeegee said:
The study is very impressive.. I know so many people that got diabetes type 2 but don't do, try or change their lifestyle. I train a lot and I know that blood glucose is really important and insulin is a major hormone. With that recipe they are having results Like metformin/acarbose medication.

Yes. I want everybody to know about this vinegar trick, because it's easy to implement. Vinegar is relatively inexpensive, natural, and easy to obtain.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Interesting info, i've been drinking a lids worth of ACV every few days. Is it worth doing every day, or maybe just doing it before eating pasta dishes or other high carb meals?

I've got used to the taste and drink it neat, but I don't know how much is in a lids worth. I'll have to start using a measuring beaker.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Petchsky said:
Interesting info, i've been drinking a lids worth of ACV every few days.

What the hell is a "lid", in this context? :)

Petchsky said:
Is it worth doing every day, or maybe just doing it before eating pasta dishes or other high carb meals?

Well, it obviously makes more sense to use it prior to high carb meals.

Petchsky said:
I've got used to the taste and drink it neat, but I don't know how much is in a lids worth. I'll have to start using a measuring beaker.

I don't even know for sure that the amount used in that study (20 grams) is the ideal amount for this purpose, but that's all the info we have available at the moment...

Petchsky

Reaction score
A lid, probably better known to my American brothers as a cap. A screw cap on top of the vinegar.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Petchsky said:
A lid, probably better known to my American brothers as a cap. A screw cap on top of the vinegar.

Remember how I said I use a small plastic measuring cup marked at the 20-gram point (using a digital scale)? I just filled the cap on my vinegar bottle to the brim with water, and dumped it into the measuring cup. It goes about 80% of the way toward that 20-gram point. But is MY vinegar bottle cap the same size as YOUR vinegar bottle cap? :)

lookhowshiny

Reaction score
I live in the UK as well and can recommend the Biona brand. It says 'organic, oak matured, unpasteurised and unfiltered'. And they use a non-xenoestrogenic dark glass bottle. Relatively cheap.

Lots of vinegar brands that are best be dismissed imo.

And I think it's recommended to use a straw. Vinegar is not the most teeth-friendly substance.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
And I think it's recommended to use a straw. Vinegar is not the most teeth-friendly substance

I wonder if we can get the same results with suppplements in pill form, so we don't have to deal with the silly liquid and a straw!

Results from a 2006 study conducted using rat models showed that vinegar may potentially lower cholesterol levels. This reduction in "bad" cholesterol is thought to be attributed to the way in which the soluble fibre, pectin, found in ACV, binds cholesterol and removes it from the body as it passes through the digestion system. It is yet to be proven that these reductions are also seen in humans.

Several studies have shown that taking vinegar before a meal may help lower post-meal glucose levels by delaying gastric emptying. Specifically, two 2007 studies concluded that two tablespoons of AVC supplementation can lower blood glucose levels in people with Type 2 and Type 1 diabetes.

A few studies have found that apple cider vinegar helped in the management of diabetes; however, these studies are also limited by their small size. One study, which found that taking vinegar at bedtime reduces blood sugar levels the next morning in people with type 2 diabetes, examined only 11 people. Another study found that taking cider vinegar might have some effect on insulin sensitivity in some diabetes patients, but that research, too, was limited by the small number of people being studied.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Bryan said:
Petchsky said:

Remember how I said I use a small plastic measuring cup marked at the 20-gram point (using a digital scale)? I just filled the cap on my vinegar bottle to the brim with water, and dumped it into the measuring cup. It goes about 80% of the way toward that 20-gram point. But is MY vinegar bottle cap the same size as YOUR vinegar bottle cap? :)

What kind of vinegar are you using Bryan???

Organic one? Apple, white?

I just bought a cheap vinegar cinedar bottle for now @ the grocery store..Dark color.. the taste is not too bad...mixing it with water. I took 20mg of Vinegar before my 3 meals today and never crave or got hungry at all between them. Also plenty of energy! I am looking at buying a good organic so I can get all the good stuff with it and the pill form because I am always in the bushes on Military exercises..so the liquid will be a pain in the arse!

purecontrol

Established Member
Reaction score
squeegee said:
purecontrol said:

#4 Low stress life

#5 CLA
#6 Cinnulin
#7 Gynema
#8 Chocamine
#9 Fish/Kril oil
#10 GTE

Add that also!

Berberine HCI
Banaba
Na-R-Ala
Vitamine D
Chromium
Vitamine K
Bitter Melon
Glucomannan
Cinnamon
L-Taurine
Insulinomics
Omega 3 fatty acids
Vitamin E

Not to be rude, but I listed the majority of those, and the rest that you listed are not worth while. The supplements that I listed have a huge effect and have many studies that back them up.

Now the interesting thing about the supplements that I listed is that their studies that back them up were conducted on normal healthy people, not prediabetic or diabetic people.

That is how well they work.

Finally the goal is to ensure that they supplements are not overlaping, you don't need to take 2 supplements that are doing the same thing.

As for the vinigar works great, only problem is that you would need it in capsule for as you need to take it every single time at the time of meal or it is worthless.

With the supplements I listed you can take them any time of the day and reap the benefits especially with Cinlulin aka cinamon.

Finally remember that studies with people that have diabetes do not apply to us, we do not have diabetes. Doesn't mean it won't help, just mean it is no where near as effect as the supplements that I have listed that increase insulin sensativity of normal individuals.

Heck take a look at Gynema, it actually regrows beta cells, those are the cells that actually produce insulin in you body.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
purecontrol said:
As for the vinigar works great, only problem is that you would need it in capsule for as you need to take it every single time at the time of meal or it is worthless.

That doesn't make any sense to me. As I said before, I have my vinegar bottle and my measuring cup (already marked at the proper 20-gram level) sitting right here on my kitchen counter. It takes me only MOMENTS to take my vinegar.