An Interesting Study About Dht And Hair Growth In Mice

oddmood

My Regimen
Reaction score
The name of study is "Dihydrotestosterone Regulates Hair Growth Through the Wnt/β-Catenin Pathway in C57BL/6 Mice and In Vitro Organ Culture" . Link https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6989660/

In this study mices were treated with different concentration of DHT, as expected large concentration of DHT inhibited hair growth and smaller concentrations did not affect it so much. Now, what I found interesting is that of one the "small" dosage not only that allowed the hair to grow normally, but it actually accelerated.

In the above figure we see how different dosage of DHT act on hair growth, 10-5 is the highest and 10-9 the lowest. The 10-7 shows the most pronounced growth better than even control(no dht treatment).

hmhm.png

If the rule, "the less dht you have the better" we should she an increasing pattern(like in right side) with 10-5(high dht) inhibiting the most and 10-9(low dht) inhibiting the least.

Lets see how it looks with actual pictures of rats.

fphar-10-01528-g002.jpg

As you see, the 10-7 shows better hair growth and density than the lower dosage of 10-8, even better than control.

Now, the dosages of DHT used in this study do not directly represent the actual ones found in humans, but this raises the question what if there's an actual sweet spot, a certain amount of DHT that actually promotes hair growth instead of inhibiting it. Our general concept is that DHT is bad for scalp and we are trying to "completely remove" it, what if too much DHT inhibition is also detrimental to hair growth.

Could this explain
- why certain people report more shedding and thinning while on dutasteride than on finasteride?
- the phenomenon of "super responders" who have great increase in hair counts unlike the majority who have minor results or just maintaining (they hit their "sweet spot")
- why topical aa like clascoterone which inhibits the binding of both dht and testosterone, didn't not have great results in their phase 2 clinical.(maybe to much local inhibition?)

* I don't have any medical or knowledge in this field, so I can't answer any question on this subject, just treat it like a curiosity.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
In my theory DHT it is necesary to make an operative pilosebaceous unit in order to grow hair, but the excess can be detrimental. Th paper goes in this direction.