Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate & Sodium Lauryl Sulfate

robtyketto

Reaction score
Greetings,

There was a warning about Sodium Lauryl Sulfate in shampoos could potentially cause unwanted reactions to people with sensitive skin.

Some shampoo makers use Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate marketing them SLS free but what I don't understand is a lot of people on forums post that Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate is more dangerous.

Can someone (if possible provide a source) which chemical is the lesser of two evils?

Thanks
Rob

Hoppi

Reaction score
I was literally just looking into this!

IH expressed the advantage of a "non-SLS" shampoo. I'm not sure why it's good. I'll let you know what I find out, but yes it seems like it just irritates the skin sometimes and can cause problems, although I don't think I've ever had any obvious issues with it.

Cassin

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it unless you are having scalp problems. Its really not that big of a problem.

But a good non sls shampoo is Jasons Thin to Thick.

robtyketto

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

At the moment I prioritise Ketoconazole (Revita/Nizoral which contains SLS) and then Piroctone Olamine (Bodyshop ginger anti-dandruff contains SLS, Austrialian tea tree shampoo non-SLS have yet to try) shampoos.

Of the natural ingredients:-
Aloe vera, Tea tree, emu oil and ermm can't think of any others are there specific natural ingredients you rate for a healthy scalp?

I do use jasons thin to thick and lamas chinese shampoo but once I finish the bottles I have I will not re-purchase as they don't include either Ketoconazole or Piroctone Olamine.

Artas

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
don't overuse Ketoconazole or Piroctone Olamine.

More is not better and that stuff should only be used a couple times a week.

People in the success stories section use Nizoral everyday and it isn't harming them =/

bezerra

Established Member
Reaction score
robtyketto said:
Thanks guys.

At the moment I prioritise Ketoconazole (Revita/Nizoral which contains SLS) and then Piroctone Olamine (Bodyshop ginger anti-dandruff contains SLS, Austrialian tea tree shampoo non-SLS have yet to try) shampoos.

Aloe vera, Tea tree, emu oil and ermm can't think of any others are there specific natural ingredients you rate for a healthy scalp?

I do use jasons thin to thick and lamas chinese shampoo but once I finish the bottles I have I will not re-purchase as they don't include either Ketoconazole or Piroctone Olamine.

Revita does not have SLS.

Cassin

Reaction score
Natwraggie said:
Cassin said:

People in the success stories section use Nizoral everyday and it isn't harming them =/

Some do, not all. And I bet if you look at the longest term users most of those guys rarely use it, like me.

More is not better.

robtyketto

Reaction score
bezerra said:
robtyketto said:
Thanks guys.

Revita does not have SLS.

Sorry It was meant to read only Nizoral uses SLS.

robtyketto

Reaction score
Cassin said:
Natwraggie said:
Cassin said:

Some do, not all. And I bet if you look at the longest term users most of those guys rarely use it, like me.

More is not better.

I have my head shaved to a #4 on a frequent basis and the weird thing is I notice no real difference to my hair/scalp whatever shampoo I use (scalp is always clear and dandruff free).

Being a Norwood 2 and have been for 5yrs+ at the moment I use those ingredients almost daily, give or take.

I guess most peoples common complaint is of the hair drying out?

If I'm doing more harm than good what would be a common sign, more hair falling out?

My thinking was to use anti-fungal ingrediants daily as to keep scalp healthy.

I do use Revita more frequently than Nizoral.

I also read that Piroctone Olamine is thought of as being less harsh than Ketoconazole, do we agree?

Thanks, there's a lot of questions in my post :woot:

Hoppi

Reaction score
I would advise against an exclusively topical regimen, as it can make it hard to win the battle IMO, but it's up to you.

And thanks for the thoughts on Nizoral Cassin, I think I've been using it too much >.<

Cassin

Reaction score
robtyketto said:
I guess most peoples common complain is of the hair drying out?

Dry hair...scalp pimples and stripping the hair of its protective coating. The last thing you want to do is damage the hair or scalp.

robtyketto said:

But why would over using a product that clearly states that it should only be used a few times a week be a good idea? Do you think there will still be fungus after you use it?

The best way to keep a scalp healthy is to not damage it. The scalp needs time off from harsh chemicals. I use tea tree shampoo 2 or 3 times a week and I also use Aveda Scalp Benefits once a week.

robtyketto said:
I also read that Piroctone Olamine is thought of as being less harsh than Ketoconazole, do we agree?

I don't know. Sorry...

I still stand by that your scalp needs a break from treatments.

Its the most common issue with newer guys...they way over do everything. You honestly don't need much to fight hair loss and the best thing is consistency of treatments, not quantity.

robtyketto

Reaction score
Cassin said:
robtyketto said:

Dry hair...scalp pimples and stripping the hair of its protective coating. The last thing you want to do is damage the hair or scalp.

robtyketto said:

But why would over using a product that clearly states that it should only be used a few times a week be a good idea? Do you think there will still be fungus after you use it?

The best way to keep a scalp healthy is to not damage it. The scalp needs time off from harsh chemicals. I use tea tree shampoo 2 or 3 times a week and I also use Aveda Scalp Benefits once a week.

robtyketto said:

I don't know. Sorry...

I still stand by that your scalp needs a break from treatments.

Its the most common issue with newer guys...they way over do everything. You honestly don't need much to fight hair loss and the best thing is consistency of treatments, not quantity.

Thanks for the reply, I'll cut down the number of times I use nizoral/Revita which anything will save me money :)

I was just overthinking as usual.

I use rogaine foam and shampoos and well nothing has changed on my head for the last 5 years so I won't worry anymore about shampoos :)

robtyketto

Reaction score
Hoppi said:
I would advise against an exclusively topical regimen, as it can make it hard to win the battle IMO, but it's up to you.

And thanks for the thoughts on Nizoral Cassin, I think I've been using it too much >.<

I've had my hair shaved from #1 - #4 over the last few years as my hair has become lifeless when I grow it.

So have about 8 mths of rogain foam left and well after that I think I can accept hair loss and going bald after that.

Im still a NW2 and nothing has changed but I don't have the same kind of money to spend on products so I will leave fate to decide what happens to my bonce :)

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
robtyketto said:

Hair has a "protective coating"? Huh? :shock:
Is it sort of like kevlar? :)

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
You know what I mean Bryan

I've never believed that that there are "natural oils" (sebum, or whatever) that serve as a "protective coating" for the hair or scalp. I've cited studies by Kligman and his colleagues which seem to support the idea that sebum is unnecessary for hair, scalp, and skin.

Goatboxer

Reaction score
I always thought it was sodium laureth sulphate, not sodium lauryl sulphate that was supposed to be bad?